Scrambled eggs at the Lido buffet - does HAL use powdered eggs now?

Ken the cruiser

I believe they use precracked eggs that you can buy in wax. paper cartons for their scrambled eggs. They also have those eggs at the omelette station BUT you can ask to have a regular fresh egg cracked in front of you. They have real eggs with shells. Just ask.

Yes, you can taste the difference.

I make a habit of getting cracked eggs scrambled to order. I started this a couple years ago when the scrambled eggs started tasting like they did in the Army. Now, I enjoy them better.

harry

So, which station on the Lido deck do you put your order in to have fresh eggs used to make scrambled eggs and do you do the same thing when (and if) you ever have breakfast in the MDR?

Yes they do use powered. I was told on our March Asia cruise that this is now fleet wide.

Very unlikely that you were correctly advised. They generally use boxed “pre-cracked” eggs for mass produced scrambled, but at the omelet station - and at the “eggs to order” they crack eggs for you - even if you ask for scrambled.

So, which station on the Lido deck do you put your order in to have fresh eggs used to make scrambled eggs and do you do the same thing when (and if) you ever have breakfast in the MDR?

Even if you eat in the dining room or in our case the Pinnacle (they use the same kitchen for breakfast), if you don't ask for fresh eggs, you will get the powdered ones for scrambled eggs. It happened to my DH a couple of times when he forgot to ask for fresh eggs.

My personal observation is that on ships and in hotels that mainly cater for Uk and American guests, the scrambled eggs are mostly way overdone.

For me, they have to be still moist and creamy. Unfortunately, most of the time, eggs are dried out.

Whenever I encounter powdered eggs on a buffet of a 5 star hotel , and yes, it happens A LOT, I do summon the manager or chef and tell them that powdered eggs are prison food.

I believe most cruise lines now use the liquid egg from a carton, recently on Princess, they were using it make omelettes and I asked a cook at the buffet if they used the liquid for scrambled eggs, he replied in the affirmative. So I reckon HAL uses the liquid egg from a carton, like other Carnival brand ships.:')