Power sockets

Lesley Green

What I think is interesting is that the new UK/USA plug is 110v not 220v. Only the Euro plug are 220v. Today's gadgets are "dual voltage," which means they work on both American and European current. So if your device is a true 220v you will need an adapter .

The "outlets in a box" design now limits the use of a simple three-outlet expansion plug. I usually take one of these on every cruise. It will cover up everything else in the box. You would need to bring an extension cord or a power strip with a cord instead and snake the cord through the opening to plug it in. Of course these are usually confiscated. I wonder if that was the plan all along?

TeeRick you might be right... but I still suspect a design flaw... I say this because in the renderings of the IV cabin... the box does not appear. first appearance is in the mocked up cabin in the video the TA produced. Everything else is there... actually an extra light as I recall. For all the simplicity of design the box really looks like an after thought. I think the sliding table distracted someone.. because the sockets usually appear right next to the vanity. It seems that they could have extended the chest of drawers and/or make them a bit taller and placed the sockets either above the table top or below... on the side of the drawers. If you made chest taller there would be a touch more storage too.

Looks to me like they realized if they mounted it horizontally, they had to provide a cover to prevent liquids from being accidentally poured into the plugs. Why didn't they mount it on edge using only the minimum space required for the plug box, and design a shelf above it to hold the paperwork they give us each day? Much more effective use of space and liquids couldn't spill into the plugs. As it exists now, the space above the box is wasted, because you have to remove anything on the lid to access the plugs. I agree, seems like a design afterthought, without much logic.

Looks to me like they realized if they mounted it horizontally, they had to provide a cover to prevent liquids from being accidentally poured into the plugs. Why didn't they mount it on edge using only the minimum space required for the plug box, and design a shelf above it to hold the paperwork they give us each day? Much more effective use of space and liquids couldn't spill into the plugs. As it exists now, the space above the box is wasted, because you have to remove anything on the lid to access the plugs. I agree, seems like a design afterthought, without much logic.

I think the box is for fire hazard containment. Most electrical fires happen with wires and devices, not whats in the walls. The box is probably flame proof/ fire dousing plastic that will keep fires in the box.

I'll bring my three way plugs and Euro adapters and see if they can be made to work.

That makes sense. Currently s class has them mounted on side as I was suggesting but perhaps newer rules have come into play. I wonder it other new ships have this

An electric toothbrush that gets charged IS a battery toothbrush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for my confusion...But the charging elec toothbrush needs a plug in for the charger stand.., our battery tootbrush just has batteries inside, no charger stand,,

Has anyone seen these boxes elsewhere..ships, hotels?? Just curious