Best and worst foods/what not to miss

tjcletzgo

I find the MDR food to be great but if something isn’t to my liking, they’ll bring me something else. The duck and Rack of Lamb are both outstanding. The eggs Benedict at breakfast are always great and, as someone posted, the fruit bread (only available at breakfast) is fabulous. We’ve looked everywhere for similar bread but haven’t found it. Tutti salad at lunch on sea days is always great.

For those who complain about the food, I’d like to know how often they have dinner nightly with white tablecloths, have both a waiter and assistant waiter, and can select as many items off the menu that they’d like. It can be hit or miss on some cruises but it’s a lot better than I have at home.

I wonder why all these posters with terrible reviews of RCCL food waste their money cruising. I agree with fishbonz that the food on RCCL is more than acceptable.

I especially enjoy the Tutti salad for lunch in the MDR. The made to order pasta is a bonus.

well, we left RCI several years ago because their menus stayed the same for years and the quality and variety were declining. We went with Princess for better food and, truly, the food is so much better on Princess. However, we are now coming back to RCI because, while the Princess food is far superior to RCI's, the ships themselves don't offer much in terms of family activities and family friendly entertainment. So, this time we are trading better food in for activities/entertainment.

P.S. By food I only mean MDR and buffet food, and not specialty restaurants.

P.S.S. We LOVE cruising. Just because someone finds the food quality in decline doesn't mean that we don't love cruising.

Hello, it's been about 10 years since we last cruised RCCL. What's the best things to eat and do?

Thanks so much!

Love the rack of lamb, the escargot yum, that sauce, the onion tart, also like the garlic crusted salmon but sometimes it's just too dry...ask for the savory bites...no longer in the bread basket but available if you ask...do they still have the pumpkin seed rolls, LOVE those. And they used to have a mushroom in puff pastry...sooo good, don't know if they serve that anymore. If you can try Giovanni's...an upcharge...it is outstanding!

Love the rack of lamb, the escargot yum, that sauce, the onion tart, also like the garlic crusted salmon but sometimes it's just too dry...ask for the savory bites...no longer in the bread basket but available if you ask...do they still have the pumpkin seed rolls, LOVE those. And they used to have a mushroom in puff pastry...sooo good, don't know if they serve that anymore. If you can try Giovanni's...an upcharge...it is outstanding!

Vidalia Onion Tart is back? Please tell me so!

I don't think you will go hungry . Just don't expect michelin star rated food .

I may be the only one that likes the food on this board ... lol .

You're not, but you're one of the few who has the right attitude about it. A cruise ship is not going to be fine dining unless you pay more for the privilege. You hit the nail on the head by pointing out that it's not Michelin Star quality, but then one meal at a 3-star restaurant can easily cost more than a 7 day cruise, so those expecting that kind of experience are... Unrealistic.

MDR food is good, and sometimes better than good. I've never had a bad meal there. Are the meals in the upcharge restaurants better? Well, yeah, they ought to be, else I'd be annoyed if I paid more for them. ;)

As to best foods, OP, the osso buco in Giovanni's table is lovely (and there's lots of other good things on the menu there - I've never been disappointed by them, and we usually have such a good meal and experience that we go back a second time before the end of the cruise). Everything at 150 Central Park is excellent (only on Oasis-class). Chef's Table is fantastic - I've only had one "meh" dish there out of all the times I've gone, and even then it was more than made up for by the other excellent ones. And wine is included with the meal. Lots of wine. You will not be entirely, if at all, sober by the end of it. The guacamole at Sabor is so good that I threw my recipe out and make theirs now (they will often give it to you if you're nice).

Really the only *bad* food on the ship is the pizza in Sorrentos and some of the pastries in the promenade cafe. Everything else is at least fine and usually better than that - especially since you don't have to make it!

Oh ya , forgot to mention the French fries in the windjammer ... outstanding when they first come out .

But those burgers got to go . I don't like them , but lots of people eat them .Guess it's just me .

First time I tried them , and probably the last .

Many more choices to choose from in the buffet , other than the burgers , so I can't complain .

I actually like the windjammer for breakfast , lots of options to pick from , and the servers offer to bring you drinks

To your table . Great service by all the staff actually .

Hello, it's been about 10 years since we last cruised RCCL. What's the best things to eat and do?

Thanks so much!

Your post title mentioned worst as well. While we had some very good food on Enchantment last week ,the scrambled eggs were the runny, I think artificial ones. Very bad.

I wonder why all these posters with terrible reviews of RCCL food waste their money cruising.

Probably because there are a gazillion things about cruising to enjoy, and not simply food. Conversely, I wonder why people who only think food matters even bother cruising?

Vidalia Onion Tart is back? Please tell me so!

Yes, it's back. I hated when they took it off the menu a few years ago because it's one of my favorites.

As for the poster who mentioned waiters and tablecloths. That has zero to do with food quality. On Oasis last fall and again on Grandeur this past spring, the quality of the steaks were mediocre at best. It's the first time in my life (including cruises) that I've ever had fatty filets and not just once, but basically every single one I had (several attempts). DH's strip steaks were gristly and fatty also. We even ended up with a couple of free ones from the headwaiter due to quality, but they were just as bad. We also miss the everyday linguine they used to have. I find most of the food average at best, but food is not why we cruise.

I do have to say desserts have improved. I do not miss all the gelatin based ones they used to serve.

Edited by BND

Probably because there are a gazillion things about cruising to enjoy, and not simply food. Conversely, I wonder why people who only think food matters even bother cruising?

You do of course realize the OP asked about best and worst food, not why you cruise.

Just booked the BOGO specialty restaurant package on Anthem in April. Hoping to get Wonderland and try this dish!

We were assigned Chops and Wonderland when we did the BOGO on Anthem. You can try to change the assigned restaurants if you would prefer something different.

Wonderland on Anthem was excellent. We allowed the waiter to choose our 13 course meal. The fish with the large crouton on top was excellent. Terrior beef was tough and salty. It took three sailings on Anthem to finally get my DH to try Wonderland and I have convinced him to go again in January.

As to best foods, OP, the osso buco in Giovanni's table is lovely (and there's lots of other good things on the menu there - I've never been disappointed by them, and we usually have such a good meal and experience quote]

The above should be a quote.

My response is:

The Osso Buco is brought aboard the ship prepackaged in a boil-in bag and basically just heated up. The last time I had it a couple of years ago on Grandeur, we were told that after I complained about the quality because it was not good. Previous times I'd had it, it was delicious and well prepared. The manager told us that they had changed suppliers and that they'd had lots of complaints about it.

As someone who does not eat seafood, duck or lamb, I do find the menus limited and repetitive. However, as a big "like" I would say the onion tart and any cold soup (I mean who doesn't like melted ice cream:D:D). I also enjoy made to order omlettes in the morning. While not challenging, they are still really good. As a "dislike" I would say WJ hamburgers. Appear to be frozen patties that have been boiled or something. IMO

Enjoy your cruise, you will never go hungry.

As someone else mentioned, the savory bites that are not available in the bread basket in the MDR anymore but you can ask your waiter for them and they will usually bring a whole plate for you every night. They are amazing! I can't get enough of them lol and from what I've read there are many other people that love them too! If you haven't tried them I'd say its a must!

As someone else mentioned, the savory bites that are not available in the bread basket in the MDR anymore but you can ask your waiter for them and they will usually bring a whole plate for you every night. They are amazing! I can't get enough of them lol and from what I've read there are many other people that love them too! If you haven't tried them I'd say its a must!

I’m intrigued. What are savory bites? Anyone have a photo?

We were assigned Chops and Wonderland when we did the BOGO on Anthem. You can try to change the assigned restaurants if you would prefer something different.

Wonderland on Anthem was excellent. We allowed the waiter to choose our 13 course meal. The fish with the large crouton on top was excellent. Terrior beef was tough and salty. It took three sailings on Anthem to finally get my DH to try Wonderland and I have convinced him to go again in January.

Wonderland and Chops would be perfect! The only one I absolutely wouldn’t want is Izumi.

13 courses wow...sounds great! We did a tasting menu one time a few years ago at Disney World in a restaurant called Victoria & Albert’s. It was 7 courses. We also did wine pairings with the food. It was fantastic.

I saw the menu for Wonderland on Royal Caribbean’s website. You get to choose 13 items?

I find the MDR food to be great but if something isn’t to my liking, they’ll bring me something else. The duck and Rack of Lamb are both outstanding. The eggs Benedict at breakfast are always great and, as someone posted, the fruit bread (only available at breakfast) is fabulous. We’ve looked everywhere for similar bread but haven’t found it. Tutti salad at lunch on sea days is always great.

For those who complain about the food, I’d like to know how often they have dinner nightly with white tablecloths, have both a waiter and assistant waiter, and can select as many items off the menu that they’d like. It can be hit or miss on some cruises but it’s a lot better than I have at home.

Sure those things are nice, but I kinda want the food to taste good also.

Of course. You do realize I was responding specifically to a post I quoted?

A post that you agreed with.

We actually have had good luck with certain requests a couple of times. One was a pasta that was very similar to what used to be on the menu that the headwaiter had specifically made for us. The waitstaff usually does their best to make sure you find something you like. Although, they don't seem to worry about it as much as they used to. At times, I've been asked if I liked what I had and told they would bring me something else when I've just not been as hungry. Our last trip, in April on GR, I was sick (Gallbladder) and had almost no appetite. I ate very little, but our waitstaff never once asked me about it or tried to get me to eat something else and no one knew I was sick. Heck, I didn't even know what was wrong at that time. It's the first time I haven't had the waiter worried about me not eating everything. Now that that pesky organ is out and I can eat everything (and want to) that won't be an issue.

Wonderland and Chops would be perfect! The only one I absolutely wouldn’t want is Izumi.

13 courses wow...sounds great! We did a tasting menu one time a few years ago at Disney World in a restaurant called Victoria & Albert’s. It was 7 courses. We also did wine pairings with the food. It was fantastic.

I saw the menu for Wonderland on Royal Caribbean’s website. You get to choose 13 items?

The 13 courses goes with the Alice in Wonderland theme, so the waiter choose our courses for us. We had the test tube with the tomato water, crab cones, shrimp, liquid lobster, vegetable garden, tuna in the lime, branzino, pork belly, terrior beef, the World dessert, key lime popsicles and meringue dessert. I need to go look at the menus since I seem to be missing a course. It is a lot of courses but the test tube is like 2 ounces, the crab cone is tiny, shrimp is one shrimp per person, lobster is a spoon, veges is a plate shared by both, tuna was half a lime and was too much. The next three were three full entrees to be shared and way too much food, would only get one in the future. We could have eliminated the meringue dessert and had just the World and the tiny key lime popsicles.

We are glad we let him do what he did, but would only get what we really enjoyed in the future.

Edit: Missing course was the smoked deviled eggs, one half egg per person and would have those again.

Lol at people making excuses and bringing up Michelin restaurants....

It's not even Applebee's in the free venues like MDR and windjammer, don't try to deflect and say it's not Michelin, it's like saying Ikea restaurant is no Michelin restaurant

Free dining is on par with Ikea restaurant. Though I don't think even Ikea has a crab cake with imitation crab meat. Both have hard as puck overcooked salmon though

Paid restaurant like chops is a around outback steakhouse but at twice the price