Best and worst foods/what not to miss

tjcletzgo

I don't remember what savory bites are, but on our last RCI cruise in 2014 they had paprika cheddar bread in MDR. One night only. It was heavenly.

Savory bites are small pyramid shaped pieces of bread that a lot of people seem to like. I have tried them, but don't get the big deal. I actually didn't like them. I like the sourdough and DH likes the pumpkin bread.

The 13 courses goes with the Alice in Wonderland theme, so the waiter choose our courses for us. We had the test tube with the tomato water, crab cones, shrimp, liquid lobster, vegetable garden, tuna in the lime, branzino, pork belly, terrior beef, the World dessert, key lime popsicles and meringue dessert. I need to go look at the menus since I seem to be missing a course. It is a lot of courses but the test tube is like 2 ounces, the crab cone is tiny, shrimp is one shrimp per person, lobster is a spoon, veges is a plate shared by both, tuna was half a lime and was too much. The next three were three full entrees to be shared and way too much food, would only get one in the future. We could have eliminated the meringue dessert and had just the World and the tiny key lime popsicles.

We are glad we let him do what he did, but would only get what we really enjoyed in the future.

Edit: Missing course was the smoked deviled eggs, one half egg per person and would have those again.

Sounds terrific! Is there a limit or a set number of items you get to try? Like for example if we wanted to sample more than two desserts, is that ok?

I always loved the vidalia onion tart and was thrilled when they brought it back earlier this year. I was looking forward to having 2 on Explorer last month but it wasn’t ever on the menu. I hope it was just a fluke and they have it on Jewel in November.

As to best foods, OP, the osso buco in Giovanni's table is lovely (and there's lots of other good things on the menu there - I've never been disappointed by them, and we usually have such a good meal and experience quote]

The above should be a quote.

My response is:

The Osso Buco is brought aboard the ship prepackaged in a boil-in bag and basically just heated up. The last time I had it a couple of years ago on Grandeur, we were told that after I complained about the quality because it was not good. Previous times I'd had it, it was delicious and well prepared. The manager told us that they had changed suppliers and that they'd had lots of complaints about it.

Interesting. I haven't had it on a ship leaving the east coast in probably 5 years now, but I just had it on Liberty (Galveston) in February and it tasted the same as it always has. Maybe they're still using the old method for that port.

Savory bites are little pyramid shaped crusty pieces of bread covered in seeds, poppy I think, and flavored with herbs. They are delicious because since they are so small they are mostly all crust.

They used to have them in the bread basket but they stopped that a few years ago. If you ask for them they will make them for you though, thus the plateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I love their escagot and ordered it with every meal. Even when it wasn't on the menu, our waiter was able to find some for us. We also enjoyed lamb, prime rib, and a few other dishes of things we don't have at home (or at least wouldn't think of).

Our only disappointment is that the menu in the MDR keeps shrinking and the menu from ship to ship is nearly identical.

Was the food 5 star every night? No. Did I love being served a 3 course meal I didn't have to prepare or clean up? ABSOLUTELY! Plus, our wait staff has always been very attentive, keeping our glasses full, getting to know us and our preferences. We fully enjoy the MDR experience.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Was on the Allure last week.

Lamb chops and lamb shank was good, beef tenderlion was good also

Salmon was good . Even a new york steak was OK .

Lasangna was OK .

Lobster wasn't all that great .

All this in the main dining room , not the specialty restuarants .

Try the main dining room for lunch , nice salads and made to order pasta.

I don't think you will go hungry . Just don't expect michelin star rated food .

I may be the only one that likes the food on this board ... lol .

I was on carnival last year and dinner was the one thing I looked forward to every day. I thought the food was great every night. Im looking forward to dinner in the main dining in May on the Allure

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

My husband and I love their escagot and ordered it with every meal. Even when it wasn't on the menu, our waiter was able to find some for us. We also enjoyed lamb, prime rib, and a few other dishes of things we don't have at home (or at least wouldn't think of).

Our only disappointment is that the menu in the MDR keeps shrinking and the menu from ship to ship is nearly identical.

Was the food 5 star every night? No. Did I love being served a 3 course meal I didn't have to prepare or clean up? ABSOLUTELY! Plus, our wait staff has always been very attentive, keeping our glasses full, getting to know us and our preferences. We fully enjoy the MDR experience.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

The MDR menus have pretty much always been identical except for when Quantum class tried dynamic dining with 4 different restaurants that diners rotated to. I loved the menus on Anthem 2.5 years ago. RCI has the same menus across the fleet. As they roll them out, there's usually some timeframe where some ships still have the older menus for a time, but they always expand them to all the ships.

I agree with RC Tim. The escargot apps in the MDR were amazing. I also enjoyed the lamb shank and duck.

For breakfast, it's bagels and locks for me everyday. Just love it.

On a 7-night Cruise, which night is duck served? I love duck but I don’t normally eat it at home because it’s very fatty. But I like to indulge on vacation. We’re going on Anthem in April on a 7-night Bermuda and Boston cruise, and we have the BOGO specialty restaurant package so we won’t be going to the MDR for the first two nights.