Tipping bartenders on 🚢

bauer

What makes me laugh even harder are judgmental prigs who become enraged when people of means avail themselves of the opportunity to upgrade their level of service. :D

I understand what you are saying but am wondering how you determine what they are feeling and some of the mannerisms these people display to cause you to laugh?

I contacted my brother in law who still works as a bar tender and has been on at least two cruises that I know of. I asked him directly about the benefits of giving a tip in advance for better service, and sent him a link to this thread. After reading the comments, he advises that people continue to live in their fantasy worlds if unnecessarily paying extra for something makes them feel more important. However, he was quite clear about this: those bribes, and even he calls them that, do nothing to improve service. What is ALWAYS the most effective is how he and his fellow bar tending colleagues are treated. Actions speak louder than money.

Those twenties and fifties do, however, improve his income stream, and for that he is grateful. Especially considering they are "free money", as he calls it, since he doesn't do anything extra for it.

I think he is the one who is "chuckling" the most. :')

I contacted my brother in law who still works as a bar tender and has been on at least two cruises that I know of. I asked him directly about the benefits of giving a tip in advance for better service, and sent him a link to this thread. After reading the comments, he advises that people continue to live in their fantasy worlds if unnecessarily paying extra for something makes them feel more important. However, he was quite clear about this: those bribes, and even he calls them that, do nothing to improve service. What is ALWAYS the most effective is how he and his fellow bar tending colleagues are treated. Actions speak louder than money.

Those twenties and fifties do, however, improve his income stream, and for that he is grateful. Especially considering they are "free money", as he calls it, since he doesn't do anything extra for it.

Pressing the imaginary "like button hard! Lol.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Forums mobile app

Your brother-in-law wants to maintain your fantasy that everyone gets equal service.

While courtesy and decent treatment are not unimportant it is well established that treating servers nicely AND providing an incentive works more often than it doesn't.

It isn't necessary to provide an incentive. Those who don't will get served eventually. Those who do more often get served immediately.

And if I run into your "brother-in-law" it will be one of those rare times that it doesn't have the expected result.

Edited by K32682

I will tip extra for extra service.

On a recent cruise, I commented that the proper way to make the drink I was having, was with actual sugar, not simple syrup. The bartender went off, and came back with packets of sugar to make my drink. He got an extra tip.

As did each bartender after who made it properly.

Your brother-in-law wants to maintain your fantasy that everyone gets equal service.

While courtesy and decent treatment are not unimportant it is well established that treating servers nicely AND providing an incentive works more often than it doesn't.

It isn't necessary to provide an incentive. Those who don't will get served eventually. Those who do more often get served immediately.

And if I run into your "brother-in-law" it will be one of those rare times that it doesn't have the expected result.

As P.T. Barnum so famously said: "There's a sucker born every minute", as you clearly demonstrate. :D

I chose to believe someone I know who does this for a living, and, equally important, doesn't brag about their free flowing money and "chuckling" about stepping in front of people ahead of him, and then endlessly defends those actions ad nauseum.

'Nuff said. SantaFeFan out!

As a Brit, I have been following this thread with interest. Never, in a million years would I be so patronising as to give someone a bribe, in order to try and get better service. Yes, if someone goes over and above the call of duty, a tip is fine, but to fling cash about like a Mafia Don is very, very declasse.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

As a Brit, I have been following this thread with interest. Never, in a million years would I be so patronising as to give someone a bribe, in order to try and get better service. Yes, if someone goes over and above the call of duty, a tip is fine, but to fling cash about like a Mafia Don is very, very declasse.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

News flash:

Mafia "Dons" don't fling cash around.

Rather they just say: "I need you to do me a favor."

Those who are less transfixed by class might like to know the disdain for tipping among the British toffs can work to your advantage.

A few years ago some colleagues and I spent a week at a small hotel in the northern outskirts of London where breakfast was included with the room. The lone woman server was sullen and breakfast service was abysmal until the second day when we each left a couple of pound coins by our plates. For the remainder of the week upon entering the breakfast room we were greeted with a smile, our tea, coffee and toast arrived immediately and our orders given priority much to the dismay of some other guests who openly complained.

And for all the pearl clutching and citing of "brothers-in-law" I wouldn't engage in the practice if it didn't return positive results more often than not. Money talks. Bull**** walks.

And for all the pearl clutching and citing of "brothers-in-law" I wouldn't engage in the practice if it didn't return positive results more often than not.

Or so you think.

Money talks. Bull**** walks.

Too bad you need to resort to cheesy idioms and vulgarities to make your point. Probably a sign of desperation from losing an argument.

Edited by sloopsailor

Would you be unhappy if your bribe was ineffective as other passengers bribed more than you could afford relegating your service?

Not unhappy at all. That's the risk you take. I also acknowledge working against my own interests by discussing the matter. The fewer people who engage in the practice the better it is for me.

There are circumstances which increase your success. Most important is to treat the servers with courtesy and be friendly. Secondly, is to be a "regular" even for a short period of time like a cruise. It is also helpful to be in an environment where tipping isn't common. Most people don't tip on cruises because of the automatic gratuities. The same can be said where food is included in a room rate such as certain hotels or all-inclusive resorts.

There is also a cultural difference. Some over-fed bar tender in America is probably too lazy to make the effort. Meanwhile, the newly arrived immigrant or cruise employee who is sending money home to feed his family is more motivated.

Each person gets to make their choice and can try it for themselves. There is no reason to deny yourself the opportunity to improve service at a modest cost simply to appease moralizing windbags who babble on about bribery and entitlement.

Would you be unhappy if your bribe was ineffective as other passengers bribed more than you could afford relegating your service?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Not really. I don't have to be the highest bidder to get improved service. I still get better service than the vast majority who didn't bid at all.