Tipping bartenders on 🚢

bauer

Wondering what others do regarding tipping bartenders on ship.

Gratuities of 15-20% are automatically added to alcohol purchases on most ships. Depending on the particular cruise line, their alcohol packages (paid or complimentary) most often fold gratuities into the package. In essence then, it is really unnecessary to tip a bartender.

Nonetheless, extra tipping remains a personal decision.

On our preferred line, we have come to know several bartenders over the course of numerous cruises. They know our preferences for particular spirits to be used in certain cocktails and, most importantly, they respect our preference for fresh squeezed citrus as opposed to some ultra-sweet mixer. One guy even goes the extra step once he sees that we are onboard: each day he preps a small container of lemon juice for our (and other of his "regulars") favorite cocktails (like a Sidecar). Yes, he gets an extra "tip" from us at the end of the cruise.

Nearly all the mass market lines add an automatic gratuity to every drink purchase. It is usually in the 15-18% range which is a reasonable tip in most bars :). Some cruise lines, that still used signed charge slips, have an extra space where you can add an "additional gratuity." We do think that is a bit presumptuous on the part of the cruise line, but that is another topic.

We do not feel obligated to give any extra tips to cruise line bartender. However, DW and I do frequently spend time at some bars (depending on the ship and cruise) and sometimes bond with some of the staff who often give us extraordinary service. In such cases we will sometimes give a generous tip to those "special" folks. We also know of some folks who will slip a favorite bar tender or waiter/waitress a $20 (or something similar) early in a cruise and "inducement" for good service. This does sometimes pay dividends and other times it likes throwing away a $20.

Hank

Gratuities of 15-20% are automatically added to alcohol purchases on most ships. Depending on the particular cruise line, their alcohol packages (paid or complimentary) most often fold gratuities into the package. In essence then, it is really unnecessary to tip a bartender.

Nonetheless, extra tipping remains a personal decision.

On our preferred line, we have come to know several bartenders over the course of numerous cruises. They know our preferences for particular spirits to be used in certain cocktails and, most importantly, they respect our preference for fresh squeezed citrus as opposed to some ultra-sweet mixer. One guy even goes the extra step once he sees that we are onboard: each day he preps a small container of lemon juice for our (and other of his "regulars") favorite cocktails (like a Sidecar). Yes, he gets an extra "tip" from us at the end of the cruise.

That is fabulous it so nice to hear that you can still find crew members that really are dedicated to their jobs. Sometimes it feels like some just go through the motions. And kudos to you for showing your appreciation [emoji1317][emoji1376]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAL automatically adds on 15% to all drinks -- bottled water, wine bottles, wine packages, specialty coffees, etc.

In the past we used to have a couple of bar tenders who took care of personally. But our last couple of cruises, even though we had drinks in the same bar nearly every evening, we kept getting different servers, so we didn't tip anyone extra.

It is a personal thing with each passenger.

I find a bartender that gives me good service on the first full day of the cruise and will tip them $ 20 and another $20 beginning the second week if we hit it off personality wise.. This has always worked for getting better drinks and faster recognition at the bar and I believe they realize many cruisers will do this or something similar.

That auto 15% service charge is just considered as part of their expected regular pay now by some in my opinion.

Edited by JMorris271

We always have the drink package that includes 18% and of course the standard gratuities as well. I always feel awkward not tipping when they give you the receipt with the tip line so we add $1.00. I know we shouldn't feel this way because we have tipped properly but it's weird to us to write $0.

Tip bartenders! Nonsense, if I have to go to the bar and fetch/carry my own drinks I'm certainly not tipping extra for that privilege.

Different for table service in a lounge, a drip feed of 5 or 10 every few days if a drinks waiter gives good service is what we do.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Forums mobile app

Crazy when you are already paying18% gratuities on your cost, this tipping culture is mad. We cruise on Regent all inclusive up front, so this does not apply.

The Brits just do not get this madness.

Neither does this former colonial. Tipping 18% for them to pour a coke out of a spigot or for getting a beer is absurd. Tipping addition money on top of the mandatory 18% tip makes me want to revolt.

DON

Sdeing my H and I always had our prhave pre-dinner dirnk at same bar, same baratenders we al ways have envleope for them at the end of the cruise.(HAL) We sailed so ofn, so much on HAL we knew many of them and they knew we always tipped.

After being simply handed a bottle of beer I don't feel any compulsion to tip another dollar which is about 15%, making the tip over 30%. Jeez, pizza places have a tip line on the receipt when you get carry out. Just draw a line and be done with it.

However, i never tip for carry out food. if I pick up a pizza I do not tip.

Crazy when you are already paying18% gratuities on your cost, this tipping culture is mad. We cruise on Regent all inclusive up front, so this does not apply.

The Brits just do not get this madness.

While you call our cultture "mad" What should the hundreds of millions of us Americans call the "Brits"? Name calling is rarely useful.

Crazy when you are already paying18% gratuities on your cost, this tipping culture is mad. We cruise on Regent all inclusive up front, so this does not apply. The Brits just do not get this madness.
While you call our cultture "mad" What should the hundreds of millions of us Americans call the "Brits"? Name calling is rarely useful.

I find a bartender that gives me good service on the first full day of the cruise and will tip them $ 20 and another $20 beginning the second week if we hit it off personality wise.. This has always worked for getting better drinks and faster recognition at the bar and I believe they realize many cruisers will do this or something similar.

That auto 15% service charge is just considered as part of their expected regular pay now by some in my opinion.

We agree on the benefits of tipping bartenders to encourage preferential service. If there is a bartender who impresses me I will slip them cash to ensure the good service continues for the remainder of the cruise. It works and not only on cruise ships.