Serenade of the seas wheelchair

Unfortunately this person did not do their research. Wheelchairs and scooters need to be rented ahead of time . There are at least 2 companies royal works with that will deliver a chair to the room and pick it up at the end of the cruise. I've done this with my mother before.

Stateroom attendants, or others, also check the rooms during a drill to help make sure everyone attends. My mom can't stand for one but the ship has always had a place inside for her to sit during the drill. In this case I'd be surprised if the daughter could not have stayed with her.

I am currently dealing with an almost similar situation. My niece is getting married on the ship before it leaves port. My 84 YO mother with dementia is attending but not sailing. I called Royal Caribbean Special needs to arrange a wheelchair and was told they could take her on the ship and off the ship in their wheelchair but if she needed one for the 4 hours she was on the ship we had to rent one from an outside vendor .

I called the outside vendor that they recommend and I would have pay to rent the chair for the entire duration of the cruise because the drop off and pick up the chairs only at certain times.

its a bit frustrating but I paid the $75 to have the chair for 4 hours.

I've been told the whole wheelchairs the ship has are for those who may get hurt on the ship.

They will usually let people with disabilities use the elevators during the drill. They do ask to be notified if someone would require help getting to their station in a real emergency so that arrangements for help can be made.

I am currently dealing with an almost similar situation. My niece is getting married on the ship before it leaves port. My 84 YO mother with dementia is attending but not sailing. I called Royal Caribbean Special needs to arrange a wheelchair and was told they could take her on the ship and off the ship in their wheelchair but if she needed one for the 4 hours she was on the ship we had to rent one from an outside vendor .

I called the outside vendor that they recommend and I would have pay to rent the chair for the entire duration of the cruise because the drop off and pick up the chairs only at certain times.

its a bit frustrating but I paid the $75 to have the chair for 4 hours.

You might be better off renting locally or even borrowing. You could use it for the day and get her on and off the ship yourself.

Cruise line, unfortunately, has only a limited number available. On embarkation/debarkation they are all in use - like a shuttle service running people on board.

"Can you not get a wheelchair if you have not booked it pre-cruise?"

If 4000 people turned up on embarkation day and all wanted a wheelchair, do you think that would be possible ?

How many extra wheelchairs do you think they should carry, just on the off chance someone wants one that didn't book one ?

There are no wheelchairs for passenger use onboard. If you need one, you must rent it thru a company that deals with cruise ships.

The ports have wheelchairs to get you on and off the ship at your home port...but not for use during the cruise or at "ports of call".

I'm confused. Why would somebody who needs a wheel chair not show up with one?

Are we just talking about mobility issues where a wheel chair would be helpful, similar to what happens at the airport?

Exactly [emoji38]

We have a collection of chairs all for different uses and two we only use on ships, the only way they will let you borrow one onboard is if you are injured onboard and then it’s a $200 deposit and should not be taken ashore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something does not sound right here. Can you not get a wheelchair if you have not booked it pre-cruise? They must have extras.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=633668

There has to be much more to this story.

The thing that doesn´t sound right here, is that the mother did not attend the mandatory emergency drill and thus SOLAS requirements were not followed.

As for the wheelchair, no they do not have extras to rent onboard.

This rant sounds like someone was certainly not prepared to sail with his mobility challenged elderly mother suffering from dementia.

"Can you not get a wheelchair if you have not booked it pre-cruise?"

If 4000 people turned up on embarkation day and all wanted a wheelchair, do you think that would be possible ?

How many extra wheelchairs do you think they should carry, just on the off chance someone wants one that didn't book one ?

6 wheelchairs

I was just messing with you by providing a number, I have no need for a wheelchair and it is not something I have thought about before.

I do understand a person assuming that one might be available though and honestly I would expect Royal Caribbean to assist anyone who did not realize this in every possible way. Reading reviews, I am seeing a lot of people who felt that Royal Caribbean was not sympathetic to whatever position they were in. I know that happy people often do not write reviews and the most unhappy are the most vocal, but does RC have a customer service problem? Is all the great service being funneled to the mega ships and these smaller ships left to suffer? I will see for myself when I cruise the Oasis next year I guess.

Edited by asalligo

Something does not sound right here. Can you not get a wheelchair if you have not booked it pre-cruise? They must have extras.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=633668

There has to be much more to this story.

This person has serious problems and perhaps should not be allowed out alone. How does she manage at home?