Koningsdam Promenade Deck

Petronillus

We have booked a midwinter cruise to the Caribbean on board the Koningsdam. One of the features I associate with HAL is the beautiful teak-wood promenade that completely encompasses the promenade deck without interruption. DW and I have walked off many an overindulgence by strolling the promenade deck.

The pdf of the Promenade Deck on the Koningsdam appears either (1) to get blocked off in the aft sections of both the port and starboard side or (2) to narrow down to a width that wouldn't accommodate two walking abreast.

I trust that some denizen of CCland will be kind and gracious enough to enlighten me.

I've also noticed that the Koningsdam's Sports Deck has a running/jogging track. I can't recall ever encountering a runner or jogger on the Promenade Deck. Is that forbidden?

Thanks!

The promenade deck is not blocked, you can walk completely around. It does get very narrow in places, only wide enough for one person. It is NOT teak, but that plastic like material used on the balconies. Running or jogging is best on the track surrounding the magrodome above the pool.

THey should limit it to one way traffic but don’t, of course you always get one guy who has to walk against the grain causing havoc on narrow winding portion.

I can't remember if it was an early Holland America cruise or a Commodore Cruise Line cruise, but on one of them, they did have a sign on the wrap-around deck indicating that walking was clockwise certain days and counter-clockwise the other days. I noticed in the mornings, most people paid attention, but in the afternoons not so much.

It is NOT teak, but that plastic like material used on the balconies.

At Buick Motor Division we used to refer to the dashboard trim as "taintwood." "Whatever it is it ain't wood."

Thanks to all, as ever, for the helpful information.

I'm counting down the days. It almost (as if!) makes the prospect of a Chicago winter palatable.

The deck on K is definitely a drawback, although we enjoyed the rest of the ship. I did miss sitting in a deck chair and enjoying the ocean. Walking around the deck is a chore in many respects, as the lack of views and narrow path detract. We only walked 3 times on the cruise last Christmas aboard K as compared to walking 2-3 times a day on ships that have an adequate promenade.

I believe you will still have a wonderful cruise on K, just don't hang the entire experience on walking the promenade because you will be disappointed.

THey should limit it to one way traffic but don’t, of course you always get one guy who has to walk against the grain causing havoc on narrow winding portion.

The problem, of course, is knowing which way the grain runs. There was a long, inconclusive thread a couple of years ago on that very subject, with equally valid clockwise and counter-clockwise arguments put forth. The only point of agreement was that there should be appropriate directional signage on all promenade decks, which, as your post points out, HAL has yet to do with any consistency.

The problem, of course, is knowing which way the grain runs. There was a long, inconclusive thread a couple of years ago on that very subject, with equally valid clockwise and counter-clockwise arguments put forth. The only point of agreement was that there should be appropriate directional signage on all promenade decks, which, as your post points out, HAL has yet to do with any consistency.

The other problem is enforcing it. It would take a god deal of manpower to enforce it the direction all day, and even with enforcing it, what are the consequences for walking the wrong way? I know I mentioned a sign on one ship I was on, but it was a suggestion more than a rule. There were no official consequences for walking against traffic.

And if the signs are not on the inside of ALL doors, passengers are apt to turn the direction of their choosing upon leaving the ship for the deck. I know absent other instruction, I will turn left and continue around the ship in a counterclockwise direction.

I have sailed on the K and would not call this a promenade deck at all. It is more like a passage way between the side of the ship, the lifeboats and pieces of equipment. You may catch an occasional glimpse of the sea as you navigate around these obstacles and other passengers.

To me it felt more like a lighted tunnel.

I did miss sitting in a deck chair and enjoying the ocean. Walking around the deck is a chore in many respects, as the lack of views and narrow path detract. We only walked 3 times on the cruise last Christmas aboard K as compared to walking 2-3 times a day on ships that have an adequate promenade.

How very sad. I'm sure, though, there are other decks, other than poolside, where one can stretch out on a deck chair in the open air with a good book.

How very sad. I'm sure, though, there are other decks, other than poolside, where one can stretch out on a deck chair in the open air with a good book.

I hope so. I asked about this a while back, but the only response I received was the pool deck.

I hope so. I asked about this a while back, but the only response I received was the pool deck.

Carol, this video provides an excellent view of the many locations, other than the pool deck, where you can catch all the sun you want. The best footage starts at the 1:32 mark.

T6A6UWMErLk

Very helpful video, Foremco. Thank you. I seen photos elsewhere signs that indicate that there is no jogging on the promenade deck, but as you can see from this video, there is a dedicated and in use jogging track. I have been forced to run the promenade on other cruise lines where loungers were put along the jogging paths, which invariably meant sunbathers inched their way onto the tracks making the tracks unusable. This looks like a much better option. As a 50-something female, I didn't like ruining appetites :-D by running past the dining room windows on the promenade deck and having to adjust my running times to be considerate of others. I believe that there are 12 laps on the jogging track to equal a mile. I would think that despite the lifeboat placement, this will be an enjoyable walkers-only location, though like others, I will miss the lounge chairs of old. I'll report back after my cruise later in the year.