Papeete and Moorea

cranmom

We were on the commuter ferry crossing both ways last visit. It did sell out for anyone trying to get on for about the last 10 minutes before departure. We get tickets in advance even though we arrive extra early. But I'm a control freak and hate leaving things to chance. 🤪

• 1 year later...

We are only going to be in Papeete for one day…just a port stop.  What would you suggest we do in Papeete for the day? Our next port is Moorea…same question….just there for one day on a ship.  And, then one day in Raiatea.  Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!!

On 10/18/2018 at 7:29 AM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Hi Fletcher!

Tahiti Nui is close to everything and for a fair price you get a clean room with A/C. I agree on the day trip but if one stays at the Tahiti Bui they can simply walk to the ferry and then rent a car for 8 hours from Avis across the street from the ferry on Moorea.

I'm staying at the Pearl post cruise this year, stayed there before before it was the Pearl. Nice beach but the location is a ways from down town PPT, the closes place to eat other than the resort is a Mc Donalds a mile away.

Even though some say the IC is expensive it is the place most cruisers stay pre/post so the camaraderie is fun and of the course the dinner show is spectacular. (you can watch the show without buying the dinner but as it is an expensive show to put on I encourage people to buy something, maybe a foo foo drink at the bar or order from the menu. 

One thing for folks to consider is points programs.  If you have IGH points you can get a deal at the IC, if Hilton at Hilton Tahiti or Moorea.  We’re going in a few weeks and have 2 night pre-cruise and just staying at the IC because I have points with IGH.  We have done Moorea before which was excellent but for 2 nights, IC Tahiti is fine.  For anything longer, get off of Tahiti. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisC101 said:

One thing for folks to consider is points programs.  If you have IGH points you can get a deal at the IC, if Hilton at Hilton Tahiti or Moorea.  We’re going in a few weeks and have 2 night pre-cruise and just staying at the IC because I have points with IGH.  We have done Moorea before which was excellent but for 2 nights, IC Tahiti is fine.  For anything longer, get off of Tahiti. 

Or if your on top of things you book a new 3 Star hotel for $74 per night 🙂

OK, I'll mention the name ....Hotel Kon Tiki. You can't get it for that price now but I grabbed it for 4 trips over the next 2 years for that price ... before it even opened. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 6:08 PM, Mrandmrsgjs said:

We are only going to be in Papeete for one day…just a port stop.  What would you suggest we do in Papeete for the day? Our next port is Moorea…same question….just there for one day on a ship.  And, then one day in Raiatea.  Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!!

We will be in the same situation.  We mostly like to just get off the ship and have a wander round.  We also like beaches.  Any suggestions for things to see in port at all of those three locations would be greatly appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

In Papeete, I would definitely plan on going to the local market, it’s just ~3 blocks from where the ship docks. In the market you can purchase flowers, vanilla, local crafts, jewelry, clothing, etc. There are also local food vendors. Another option is to take a circle-island tour. There aren’t any beaches in walking distance.

In Raiatea, I would definitely schedule a tour, the locals do sell crafts where the ship docks but there isn’t much else going on in town. I personally would go to Tahaa’ to snorkel at the Coral Gardens or visit a vanilla farm.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...