Live Whisper 18 - 31 Oct.

Tothesunset

Don’t say I didn’t warn you about the Reuben!

Sea days are wonderful for relaxing but there is not much to write about.  We had dinner last evening with the Shore Concierge Manager Leandro Ponte which was most enjoyable.  Having complained about the Reuben, I must say that I have ordered the filet twice in the MDR and it has been excellent.  Also, it is sometimes possible to order caviar as an appetizer.  It is Oscietra caviar, and the presentation is lovely.

BTW, gourmet burgers are still on the dinneer menu in the MDR which is disappointing.

Tomorrow we have been invited to a brunch for 2019 World Cruisers.  I guess it will be a sort of Meet and Mingle.  I understand that there are 15 people who have been invited.  Since we are only doing a third of the WC, I am surprised that we were invited.

The weather is supposed to turn bad this afternoon with 10 foot seas.  Fortunately it will be a following sea, so it should not be bad.

4 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

BTW, gourmet burgers are still on the dinneer menu in the MDR which is disappointing.

Thankfully no sign of them in any of the Muse’s 5 main dining rooms, although there are burgers (non gourmet) on the anytime dining menu.

Time they were gone!

2 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

In the Vista there are 2 US 110 and 2 euro 220 outlets in the suite plus a 2 pin 110/220 shaver socket in the bathroom. 

That is, there are 2 of these in the suite:

IMG_20181026_180421317.jpg

I assume these are the same in the veranda suites.  We always bring a multi plug so we can charge  many things at once.  We also bring magnetic hooks which hold coats and hats, clothes pins to keep the curtains closed and a bottle top humidifier.  We have found the air in the suites to be extremely dry on this trip.  Hand laundry dries very quickly.

A lovely dinner in La Terrazza this evening.  Upon returning to the suite we noticed that serious measures have been taken to secure things in the event the weather does indeed turn rough.  More tomorrow...

I am worried, the last we EMBT was "Upon returning to the suite we noticed that serious measures have been taken to secure things in the event the weather does indeed turn rough.  More tomorrow..." that was on Saturday?  Where are they?  How are they and how is the Whisper???

Yes, we are still here. There was maybe 24 hrs of lively seas but not as bad as it might have been. 

It's hard to do a daily report when each day is much like the one before. 

Tomorrow sees us say goodbye to the Whisper so there's something of an end-of-term feeling on the ship. And the occasional whispered conversation about tipping. But we are feeling signally virtuous having donated to the crew fund (and been thanked by several crew) and can therefore relax on that score. 

We have been fortunate with the weather these past few days and spent the afternoons on deck - it's been easier than usual to find a suitable spot. It's especially gratifying when it's been so cold and wet back home, of course. 

Our butler is called Fernando. Mrs TTS won't let me ask him if he can hear the drums 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Yes, we are still here. There was maybe 24 hrs of lively seas but not as bad as it might have been. 

It's hard to do a daily report when each day is much like the one before. 

Tomorrow sees us say goodbye to the Whisper so there's something of an end-of-term feeling on the ship. And the occasional whispered conversation about tipping. But we are feeling signally virtuous having donated to the crew fund (and been thanked by several crew) and can therefore relax on that score. 

We have been fortunate with the weather these past few days and spent the afternoons on deck - it's been easier than usual to find a suitable spot. It's especially gratifying when it's been so cold and wet back home, of course. 

Our butler is called Fernando. Mrs TTS won't let me ask him if he can hear the drums 

Glad to hear the sea and weather have been kind. 5c yesterday and then lashings of rain in East Anglia this morning. Hope your central heating is working, have a good flight home.

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Glad to hear the sea and weather have been kind. 5c yesterday and then lashings of rain in East Anglia this morning. Hope your central heating is working, have a good flight home.

Aye. We get regular weather updates from the dog-sitters. I suppose we will find out for ourselves in a couple of days:classic_angry:

• Like 1

Today's top tip. 

If you get the opportunity to arrive at MIA for your Virgin Upper Class flight to LHR then don't arrive more than 4 hrs early. Also be aware that the tour that drops you at the airport can only stop at the north terminal and it is at least a 20 minute hike to the Virgin check in area. 

Is MIA the most user-unfriendly airport. Oh, yes! 

2 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Today's top tip. 

If you get the opportunity to arrive at MIA for your Virgin Upper Class flight to LHR then don't arrive more than 4 hrs early. Also be aware that the tour that drops you at the airport can only stop at the north terminal and it is at least a 20 minute hike to the Virgin check in area. 

Is MIA the most user-unfriendly airport. Oh, yes! 

If you flew regularly through JFK and MIA, you might change that opinion. I choose MIA as preferable. 

• Like 1

And if I may be allowed one further grumble, we are in the Delta Sky Club lounge as Virgin do not have their own lounge here. The Virgin Clubhouse at LHR is a triumph, the place we are sitting in now is a dump with terrible food on paper plates and uncomfortable seating. 

I agree JFK is also grim. I suppose most airports are to a greater or lesser extent. 

21 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I agree.  MIA sucks big time.

I must disagree.   Checked in at American's terminal in MIA yesterday - had requested wheelchairs to the gate.  We were taken immediately from curbside check in with luggage to the handicap holding station immediately inside.  Within 10 minutes chair arrived and we were taken through security, to the Admiral's Club near our departure gate.   Agent at the Club noted our departure time and booked the chair to return to take us to the gate.   It was all seamless, done with professionalism, very impressive.  I have indicated NEVER AGAIN for LHR and CDG (that transfer was a nightmare for our outbound).  As an example, the French architects who designed CDG installed elevators in our terminal that will take ONE WHEELCHAIR -- plus the pusher.  Car must return for additional passengers , which seems either a gross mistake or grossly perverse, just to make things difficult.  Additionally, the CDG "holding station" was manned by 3 agents who spent their time laughing with each other, talking on the phone, telling the waiting handicapped travelers "yes, your chair is on the way" -- while several were nervously close to missing their planes.    IMO the American terminal at MIA is about as easy as travel gets these days. 

40 minutes ago, dusababy said:

I must disagree.   Checked in at American's terminal in MIA yesterday - had requested wheelchairs to the gate.  We were taken immediately from curbside check in with luggage to the handicap holding station immediately inside.  Within 10 minutes chair arrived and we were taken through security, to the Admiral's Club near our departure gate.   Agent at the Club noted our departure time and booked the chair to return to take us to the gate.   It was all seamless, done with professionalism, very impressive.  I have indicated NEVER AGAIN for LHR and CDG (that transfer was a nightmare for our outbound).  As an example, the French architects who designed CDG installed elevators in our terminal that will take ONE WHEELCHAIR -- plus the pusher.  Car must return for additional passengers , which seems either a gross mistake or grossly perverse, just to make things difficult.  Additionally, the CDG "holding station" was manned by 3 agents who spent their time laughing with each other, talking on the phone, telling the waiting handicapped travelers "yes, your chair is on the way" -- while several were nervously close to missing their planes.    IMO the American terminal at MIA is about as easy as travel gets these days. 

Hope you are back safely TTS. Horrible wet and very heavy rain here to welcome you home today.

2 hours ago, dusababy said:

I must disagree.   IMO the American terminal at MIA is about as easy as travel gets these days. 

No problem on the disagreement.  

As an AA Exec Plat, my MIA travel is 99% connecting traffic.  International connections are an absolute nightmare and the walk between gates is unlike anything you've seen.  On the bright side, it's very easy for one to hit the 10,000 step mark at MIA.

And, I hear you regarding LHR, especially going from T3 to T5, although the BA First Class lounge is really good in T5.