Viva Vino

parkslopegal

Hello. I am currently on the Epic and just wanted to put my 2 cents in. The Viva Vino package is on the Epic too. Although I didn’t see a table set up. I just went to the atrium bar and placed my order. At dinner in Taste I gave the server one of my vouchers. She brought me a bottle and two glasses

• 4 weeks later...

We'll be on the POA in April .I've seen differing accounts and was wondering if this package I available once onboard for purchase . I realize the POA is unique given its registry and the fact she sails only in U.S. waters . Thanks for the help.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:37 AM, Cruisingfan42 said:

Also, despite what they may tell you, you do not need to select all your choices up front.  They issue you paper slips, and you fill out your selection as needed then provide them to your waiter or bar tender.

The only thing I'd say about this is, (bolded text)  that NCL can run out of your favourite wine. That's why, when I'm ordering my preferred wine, I do it all at the same time.  If you want to switch out a bottle or two later on, that's fine; as long as it's in the same category, you can do it without any change in price. 

2 hours ago, delaware32 said:

We'll be on the POA in April .I've seen differing accounts and was wondering if this package I available once onboard for purchase . I realize the POA is unique given its registry and the fact she sails only in U.S. waters . Thanks for the help.

It was available when we were on the POA last year.

Just off the Getaway last week and the Viva Vino attached. 

I believe all the wines and pricing were the same with the exception of a few wines different in the Enthusiast package.   

Lots of flexibility with Viva Vino as before.  They would cork any partially-consumed bottles and store in their 'cellar' and gladly arrange to transfer it to the same or a different restaurant.  Freedom with getting bottles and bringing them elsewhere - e.g., we got a bottle of bubbly to bring back and enjoy in our room.  Love Viva Vino!

vivavino.jpg

Thanks for posting the list from the Getaway.  It goes to show that the list is different on different ships.  I think I will just note to do a bit of research before the next cruise to see what is current.  Both lists look good but we would have chosen different options on each list.

• 2 months later...

The Viva Vino. packages are still being sold, I bought one in Feb. 2019 and they were available on the first day in the Atrium and always at the various bars, just ask. They are not well advertised.  I am leaving on the Dawn on Saturday May 2019 and they are also mentioned in the boarding document details, Click on Speciality Dining Packages Terms and Conditions and you will see Caps and Corks and Viva Vino.  Strange they are not well advertised!!

We are huge fans of the Viva Vino package as I only drink wine. DH will drink beer as well, but prefers wine, so this suits us well. 

We recently sailed on the Dawn after a 3 year hiatus from cruising.

This is the only time in 7 NCL cruises that we encountered any problems with the package.

As was usual, we headed to O'Sheehans on our first evening and handed in 2 slips, 1 for a bottle of red and one for a bottle of white...DH and I drink different colours!  🙂 

The barman looked at the slips and promptly gave us one back, saying he had the white, but not the red!

He took the white from the fridge and brought over 2 glasses, and that was that! 

DH gave him a moment and when he was free, DH quietly explained he doesn't drink white and please could he have his bottle of red? Again, he was told * we don't have it*.....nothing more! DH then asked what then was the solution and was met with a shrug of the shoulders. At that point, I suppose we could have left and gone to another bar, but we were a little confused! Had things changed so much in 3 years? Did the bar staff not go and get your wine for you any more? 

As we were discussing this, the same barman came back to us, and said if we gave him a while, he *supposed* he could go and get the red wine. DH thanked him and waited. After about 15 minutes, the barman went off, but not before I had heard him cursing and muttering under his breath to his colleague!

He came back very quickly with the red wine and literally plonked it in front of us! Not a good start!

The following day, for his own understanding, DH decided to go to Guest Relations and ask what the protocol was with the Viva Vino package. He was assured that you can get your wine from any bar or restaurant on the ship and that it was indeed the staff's job to go and retrieve it. He was also told that you may also leave any unfinished wine in any bar or restaurant for the next time.....the barman in O'Sheehan's disagreed with that also! 

Fortunately for us, the rest of the staff in O'Sheehans were not having as bad a day as that original barman, and we had no further problems. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/21/2019 at 4:16 AM, 4774Papa said:

We dislike the beverage package and generally drink wine on cruises.   If they have the vino deal, NCL makes it hard to find it.  On our last cruise to NE and Canada in September, I was unable to book such a package, so I brought my own wine on board and paid the $15 corkage fees.  

Could you only bring wine on at embarkation or could you also bring wine on board at the different ports?

The viva vino package is supposedly always available even though rarely advertised and not available for purchase until you get on the ship.  Just ask at any bar and they can give you the list, price depends on the quality of the package you select.  Sometimes they sell the packages in the Atrium or by the pool on boarding day.   Here is a list of the wines but prices/wines may have changed...  Cheers

The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Chardonnay - South Australia

Beringer White Zinfandel - California

Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

Ravenswood “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

Rioja Vega, Criaza-Rioja - Spain

Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

North & South by Norwegian Cruise Line, Sauvignon Blanc - California

Clos du Bois,Sauvignon Blanc-North Coast, California

Simi, Chardonnay - Sonoma, California

Estancia, Pinot Noir - California

Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

Blackstone, Merlot - California

Estancia, Meritage - California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado" categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

Oberon, Sauvignon Blanc - Napa Valley, California

I'M Deep Rose Isabel Mondavi - Napa Valley, California

Isabel Mandavi, Chardonnay – Carneros, California

Bonterra Organic Chardonnay – CMendicino Valley, California

Spellbound, Petit Sirah – California

North & South by Norwegian Cruise Line, Red Blend - California

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz - South Australia

Oberon, Cabernet Sauvignon - Napa Valley, California

Alternate location to the Atrium for buying the Viva-Vino package is the Pool deck (STAR & DAWN)

on the first (boarding) day of the cruise for a short period of time.

While there are no sample tastings - generally all the selections are available to read the bottle label.

While heavily promoted during the embarking day - the program is still available later in the cruise. 

• 4 months later...

If anyone has an opinion on Viva-Vino vs the Premium Plus beverage package, I would be happy to hear it. We are sailing on the Getaway in two weeks. I only drink wine. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thank you. 

27 minutes ago, mycy1000 said:

If anyone has an opinion on Viva-Vino vs the Premium Plus beverage package, I would be happy to hear it. We are sailing on the Getaway in two weeks. I only drink wine. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thank you. 

Opinion: don’t waste any more money. Keep the basic Premium Beverage Package and drink the house wines. You’ll survive for a week. 

• 4 weeks later...

We are seriously considering bringing 6-9 bottles of our mid priced wines on board and paying corkage as what I see in terms of the unlimited drink package tips far exceed that nominal cost, and the quality of the Viva Vino package doesn't hit the right notes for us.  Some of the wines are fine- but I am not familiar with many of them.  We just got a case of Vista Flores Catena Malbec which is fabulous.  So- unless I go down the list and get a few sample bottles of their list, I think we are going to pack our own. Too bad we can't bring Coke products on:)  I prefer the occasional Coke over Pepsi too.

Being half Argentinean I agree 100% that Catena  Malbec is one of the best Malbecs available. And even more important, very consistent !

But if you add to the wine price ($17 including sales tax)   the  NCL corkage fee ($15+ tip = $18  ), the wine will end up little bit more expensive than The Connoisseur ($27 + tip = $32.4 ) that in some ships has pretty decent choices, like Louis Raynald Chateauneuf du Pape  that retails $27 + tax  in the US.

So perhaps it makes sense to bring few bottles and buy a 4 bottles Viva Vino.

However, since it's hard to predict what wines will be available on the Viva Vino, it is safer to bring your own wine.

• 4 weeks later...