Odyssey - 18 nights Athens to Barcelona LIVE ON BOARD

galeforce9

We then headed to the Central Market, one of the biggest in Europe.  It was closed, last time we were here, on a Sunday.  It’s spectacular inside, with wrought iron work and a domed roof.  It was started in the early 1900s and finished in the 1920s. The style is described as Valencian Art Nouveau. 

5751CC48-6456-4080-9780-80CA28A33E13.jpeg

3367AF81-D00D-4D5C-8DEA-6D6DDEBE6BA7.jpeg

158971F1-9EBA-471D-8FBD-180B10DF6D8B.jpeg

379FB96B-9C16-48D9-881B-C7485FD4910D.jpeg

57D285EA-19F9-4567-BEA9-5F097062DFFD.jpeg

Edited by galeforce9
  • Like 1

So, in summary, there’s plenty to do in Valencia for a weekend, at least.  We stuck to the centre this time but it’s also worth heading out to see some of the Caltrava architecture.  

This article might help give further inspiration 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/valencia/articles/A-weekend-break-in-Valencia/

• Like 1

It’s always good to know that people are reading along with my travels. I see the views ticking up and wonder who all the people are.

It’s lovely to get comments on here from posters but I think there must be more who follow along, read, absorb and don’t post.   

By way of illustration, I was walking along a street near the cathedral in Valencia today and a couple came rushing over.  “Are you Eleanor?”,  they said.  I said yes but wondered how they knew me.  They said, we’ve been reading your blog on board. We thought you must be Eleanor but weren’t sure and thought we’d check!  We’re addicts but don’t post. 

They were a lovely couple from Australia, who stayed in Paris prior to this 11 day segment and who are staying in Barcelona before flying home.  It was lovely to meet you and enjoy the rest of your holiday and have a safe flight home. 

I’ve also been searched out on the ship on the Route of the Vikings cruise by Flying Scot sailors.  They tracked me down in the restaurant eventually.  (Hope your holiday has been going well Ann and Peter). 

Edited by galeforce9
  • Like 2

Well, the cases are mainly packed.  It’s off to the Indian Market lunch tonight after an on deck event.  We had a Grill booking but cancelled and thought we’d have a change of scenery and formality for the last night. I will continue to post some thoughts, especially today and tomorrow during the journey home, so keep posted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, galeforce9 said:

So, in summary, there’s plenty to do in Valencia for a weekend, at least.  We stuck to the centre this time but it’s also worth heading out to see some of the Caltrava architecture.  

This article might help give further inspiration 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/valencia/articles/A-weekend-break-in-Valencia/

I love Valencia.  Nice to see you mention Caltrava as the modern section of museums etc. is really impressive and should not be missed if one has time.  The beaches are also quite nice in Valencia with amazing Paella places lining the shore

I've added a weekend break to Valencia to my bucket list! It looks amazing. Thanks again for wonderful photos. 

I'll be very interested to read your thoughts about the cruise in general. I have a friend on board who is a big Seabourn fan but reading between the lines of her brief email she's been a little disappointed by some aspects of food and service this time. 

Enjoy your last night on board!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

I've added a weekend break to Valencia to my bucket list! It looks amazing. Thanks again for wonderful photos. 

I'll be very interested to read your thoughts about the cruise in general. I have a friend on board who is a big Seabourn fan but reading between the lines of her brief email she's been a little disappointed by some aspects of food and service this time. 

Enjoy your last night on board!

Will be very happy to comment but will wait until tomorrow when disembarked.  Will be along what you are thinking 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

Well, the cases are mainly packed.  It’s off to the Indian Market lunch tonight after an on deck event.  We had a Grill booking but cancelled and thought we’d have a change of scenery and formality for the last night. I will continue to post some thoughts, especially today and tomorrow during the journey home, so keep posted. 

The Indian Market is one of my favourites. Seabourn usually has several talented Indian chefs on board and they do a great job. On our last cruise we even had an Indian guest chef on the ship and the food was amazing.

• Like 1

Galeforce9 - thanks so much for sharing tour experience with us all - the photo essay has been great

You have certainly had a few interesting experience including the heavy seas back in Italy - that seems so long ago

The recent photos have shown the beauty of some of the European villages - fascinating

Thanks again and safe travels home 

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2018 at 5:23 AM, galeforce9 said:

I had a discussion with a bar manager about gins and how popular they are in the Uk whilst I was on Quest In the Summer. Compared to the availability of premium vodkas and whisky on board the choice of premium gins is poor. 

They said there isn’t the demand for it, it’s not internationally popular therefore we don’t carry them.  I explained that it would be a big hit especially with British guests. 

The best they have (if you’re lucky - it can be in short supply) is Tanquerey 10.  They also carry Hendricks, Tanquerey and Bombay Sapphire.   

Why not also carry London Dry, Sipsmith and some flavoured gins like Rhubarb? 

James Bond prefers Gordons

You can always contact Seabourn before you go requesting  the gin you wanted. I always do this about beers that I like  to have in the patio bar and if I give then a few weeks notice they try there best to get it. It can depend on what part of the world the ship  is in and what can be obtained locally .

1 hour ago, dalliowner said:

You can always contact Seabourn before you go requesting  the gin you wanted. I always do this about beers that I like  to have in the patio bar and if I give then a few weeks notice they try there best to get it. It can depend on what part of the world the ship  is in and what can be obtained locally .

Beware you  could receive a bill for the request 15 days into the cruise like we did for black sheep ale.  Mmm. Not one of Seabourn’s finest hours 

1 hour ago, dalliowner said:

You can always contact Seabourn before you go requesting  the gin you wanted

Now that is optimism to be admired 

Just off Seabourn Encore and have to say I would have been happy if they could deliver one of the standard gins, Hendricks consistently 

While it was generally available in most bars, getting it served consistently as it should be with tonic and a slice cucumber proved a bridge too far for most of the bar staff. When they typically returned with a slice of lemon in it it usually prompted me to ask a) is that Hendricks? and b) where’s the cucumber? - the usual reply was yes but we’ve run out of cucumber 🥒- basically they either had no idea how to serve it or couldn’t be bothered to get the cucumber. I quickly gave up asking for Fever Tree tonic - as I had no confidence that it would ever arrive 

Similary another friend gave up hoping for a Bacardi (yes the most common white rum in the world!) after having been told by the bar staff in the Observation lounge they didn’t have any - we said: what do you mean? - now or ever in this bar? - the reply was never. I knew that wasn’t correct but it reinforced that the bar staff are not prepared to make the effort to get a bottle bought up (or better still ensure the bar is correctly stocked with even the most basic spirits) 

Yes I told the Bar Manager who was embarrassed by this experience but I’m afraid it never really got to the point where we could reliably expect a Hendricks served properly 

When other luxury lines are coming up with extensive gin cocktail menus with a variety of gins and tonics as well as other ingredients this was a dissapointment for us