How to turn off Activity Stream?

I think  under you cc id  top right   click there  then MANAGE FOLLOWED CONTENT

You will see a box  then in each message  there is a button Change preferences

There is one option to  "let others see  that I follow this"  uncheck the box & update

or you can just click UNFOLLOW 

There  are more settings under Account settings  that may work better  for you

I am still figuring this out myself

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Which Activity Stream are you referring to?

Is it a list of all the posts that you've made? If so, that's always been available via Search.

Posts, anything you've liked and anything you've looked at. 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I think  under you cc id  top right   click there  then MANAGE FOLLOWED CONTENT

You will see a box  then in each message  there is a button Change preferences

There is one option to  "let others see  that I follow this"  uncheck the box & update

or you can just click UNFOLLOW 

There  are more settings under Account settings  that may work better  for you

I am still figuring this out myself

I'm not going to go through 7 pages of new posts to click a button for each individual thing I've looked at or liked in the last day. There has to be a way to turn off the setting so people can't see it.

57 minutes ago, Half Pint said:

Posts, anything you've liked and anything you've looked at. 

Sorry, I still can't work out which page you're looking at.

The closest that I find to what you're describing are "Half Pint's Profile" and "Half Pint's Content". But both of those pages only show things that you've publicly done, other than the Profile page showing which forum you were last looking at.

2 hours ago, Half Pint said:

I'm not going to go through 7 pages of new posts to click a button for each individual thing I've looked at or liked in the last day. There has to be a way to turn off the setting so people can't see it.

On the page  MANAGE FOLLOWED CONTENT

There  is  a box at the top of the messages  click  ALL  in the menu then click on the circle with the X  choose the do not let people see I follow it

7 hours ago, Half Pint said:

How can I turn off my Activity Stream? I don't like that everyone can see everything I've been doing, laid out in a list, for the taking. It's creepy and invasive.

There has to be a privacy setting to turn it off I'm somehow missing.

Uncheck let others see I follow this

image.png

Edited by AlanF65

7 hours ago, Half Pint said:

If you go to manage content and click filter by  and pick all you can and then pick change preference you can turn off Let others see I follow this for all 7 pages

image.png.d665d329557ae66539c5fca3d4b2b49d.png

image.png.97079662c45c208cd79265759dc12f67.png

Edited by AlanF65

3 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

If you go to manage content and click filter by  and pick all you can and then pick change preference you can turn off Let others see I follow this for all 7 pages

It should be opt-in, "yeah sure I want everyone to know I'm interested in this thread about tray sizes in the buffet", not opt-out.

I'm quite sure nobody would opt-in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I don’t get the second box, only the first. Honest to god, navigating a website should not be this hard.

4 minutes ago, Half Pint said:

I don’t get the second box, only the first. Honest to god, navigating a website should not be this hard.

I never actually went through with it, once you click the check box and pick all on a desktop you get this at the bottom of the screen which is where you change, I just assumed it would be the same dialog, not a new dialog. The good news is you can pick 15 or 30 or whatever and then do a global change

image.png.49ec39fa6bb96b6585a7e8b8a64d873d.png

Edited by AlanF65

10 hours ago, Half Pint said:

How can I turn off my Activity Stream? I don't like that everyone can see everything I've been doing, laid out in a list, for the taking. It's creepy and invasive.

There has to be a privacy setting to turn it off I'm somehow missing.

Only you can see your Activity Streams.

If you are referring to the content listed in your profile, posts and posters are public. Was the same in the previous system. If you are creeped out by the fact that others can read what you post, don't post.

Just now, broberts said:

If you are referring to the content listed in your profile, posts and posters are public. Was the same in the previous system. If you are creeped out by the fact that others can read what you post, don't post.

I think the issue is people want to choose whether others can see if   they are looking at Alaska or solo travel or whatever when they are online.

If someone can see me in a roll call and see me in CA and see me leaving next week and put a bunch of pieces together there are privacy and safety concerns.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, broberts said:

I should be able to control what I want others to see, just like on every other forum I am a member of. There are privacy issues admin need to address.

1 minute ago, AlanF65 said:

I think the issue is people want to choose whether others can see if   they are looking at Alaska or solo travel or whatever when they are online.

If someone can see me in a roll call and see me in CA and see me leaving next week and put a bunch of pieces together there are privacy and safety concerns.

Then they should not be posting this information in a public forum, i.e. don't join a roll call.

Besides, the vast majority of people are essentially anonymous as they have a username that does not identify them.

1 minute ago, Half Pint said:

I should be able to control what I want others to see, just like on every other forum I am a member of. There are privacy issues admin need to address.

In what forums can you hide your username on posts?

You are inventing problems. The solution is quite simple, do not post if you do not want others to see the results.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, broberts said:

Then they should not be posting this information in a public forum, i.e. don't join a roll call.

Besides, the vast majority of people are essentially anonymous as they have a username that does not identify them.

Even without him posting, you can see when AlanF65 is looking at a specific roll call. Just like you seem to be interested in a ship getting a new itinerary, while when I started typing this you were looking at flight connection times. Those are quite general subjects anyone might like to read. If you'd have been looking at a specific roll call I wouldn't have mentioned it . Yet, CC thinks everyone should be seeing you looking at a roll call.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Even without him posting, you can see when AlanF65 is looking at a specific roll call. Just like you seem to be interested in a ship getting a new itinerary, while when I started typing this you were looking at flight connection times. Those are quite general subjects anyone might like to read. If you'd have been looking at a specific roll call I wouldn't have mentioned it . Yet, CC thinks everyone should be seeing you looking at a roll call.

Actually everyone can see what AmazedByCruising is looking at. Whoever that is.

As public as these forms are, posters are still anonymous.

Agree completely...navigating this new version shouldn't be such hard work. Why isn't it user friendly for those of us that aren't such techies.....I just returned from being away from my desktop and am so disappointed to come back to this mess. CC was always so informative, friendly and easy to use...NOT any longer. What were they thinking ???? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, broberts said:

Actually everyone can see what AmazedByCruising is looking at. Whoever that is.

As public as these forms are, posters are still anonymous.

Even if it's anonymous (and many here are no anonymous at all), I STILL don't want people to see which threads I'm looking at.

2 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Even if it's anonymous (and many here are no anonymous at all), I STILL don't want people to see which threads I'm looking at.

Then log out and browse. Only log in when you want to post. It is a very simple solution that works without a need to modify any code.

40 minutes ago, broberts said:

Then log out and browse. Only log in when you want to post. It is a very simple solution that works without a need to modify any code.

Before even trying to argue that that's not how users work, why is this is a feature in the first place? What possible reason could I have to be interested in what you are reading?

• Like 1

• Administrators

I am working on all of the above.  This feature is "out of the box" and I'm searching to turn it off.  I agree, I don't get why anyone needs to know what post I'm reading.

• Like 1