What I ate on NCL Getaway 10/14 Eastern Caribbean

ludicrous_speed

15 hours ago, ludicrous_speed said:

We thought the arcade package was a great deal and totally worth it. Our kids loved it and spent a lot o time there getting their game fix. We purchased in advance for the discount.

Games that give tickets or prizes are not included.

Here are the games I remember at the arcade that were included:

Guitar Hero

Air Hockey

Pac Man Smash (hyper air hockey)

Big Game Hunter

Terminator

(another shooting game)

Big Rig Racing Game

4 person Racing

2 Person racing

2 Person racing- motorcycle

Pirate themed shooting game

Ms Pac Man/Galaga

Roller Coaster Simulator

another simulator- alien theme I think?

At O'Sheehans, it included:

Basketball Games

Pool

Darts

2 person Racing Game

Big Game hunter

Note:

Bowling at O'Sheehan's is not included- That is $6.  Deal or No Deal is not included. Skee-Ball is not included.

We did feel comfortable letting the explore and walk to places. Our 12 yr old went alone a few times. He has a really good sense of direction and he got confused a couple times early on. Nothing that made him panic- just that he thought he was FWD and was really AFT. Knowing that the fish are the carpet are swimming to the front of the ship helps. The info screens near the elevator banks are helpful in finding your way.

We also paid to use the NCL app on the ship to communicate via text with the kids. It is $10 a device. Our boys would text us inside the app to let us know where they were. It was nice piece of mind and we thought it worked well. It's not as simple as regular texting- you do have to check for messages. They do not always pop up on the main screen. 

Thank you so much for this information!! It looks like y'all had a fantastic time...and all of your pictures are making me so excited for our turn! Thanks again!

What a fun and delicious review! We were on your cruise and had a great time. One of our favorite excursions was Bites of Nassau: Food Tasting and Cultural Walking Tour through Tru Bahamian food tours. We went to 6 different interesting restaurants and hotels (including Graycliff Manor) in about 3 1/2 hours. The food was fantastic and we learned a lot about Bahamian history (think pirates). I highly recommend this tour. 

Edited by Seminole1975
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, ludicrous_speed said:

Appetizer Number Two- Smoked Salmon Tartare

I ordered this on a whim. I wanted a second appetizer but I wasn't in the mood for the other choices ( spinach artichoke dip or bruschetta). This was surprisingly good. I ate a few bites at first but found myself going back more and more as I waiting for my first entree. 

IMG_7886.jpg

Jade was very inconsistent on having the little breads with the salmon tartare. Now, I don't really need the bread or want it, but it was interesting how none of us at the table got the bread with the tartare, but all around us people did.

The salmon tartare itself was heavenly. I knew I was going to like it, so I ordered 2. :) I loved it!

By the way, our Thanksgiving sailing on Jade was cut very short (2.5 out of 10 days) due to a mechanical failure, so we are doing a make up cruise next week on GETAWAY! So, I am refreshing my memory on the dining choices in this great thread.

On 12/7/2018 at 11:27 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Jade was very inconsistent on having the little breads with the salmon tartare. Now, I don't really need the bread or want it, but it was interesting how none of us at the table got the bread with the tartare, but all around us people did.

The salmon tartare itself was heavenly. I knew I was going to like it, so I ordered 2. 🙂 I loved it!

By the way, our Thanksgiving sailing on Jade was cut very short (2.5 out of 10 days) due to a mechanical failure, so we are doing a make up cruise next week on GETAWAY! So, I am refreshing my memory on the dining choices in this great thread.

Thanks! Enjoy your cruise!

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:08 PM, ludicrous_speed said:

For my lunch entree, I ordered the Blackened Grouper Sandwich. Great sandwich! The Pretzel roll was warm and soft and had a little bit of crisp to the edge. The sauce was pretty good. French Fries were great. 

IMG_7813.jpg

Which place did you get the Grouper sandwich at? Gotta love good Grouper.

As we are Emerald with Royal Caribbean, our first NCL cruise is on the Getaway in November 2019.  I was worried about all the free style dining so your post was a welcome read.  There will be 12 of us traveling together so that will create issues within itself.  However, 4 are early 20's and will probably be doing their own thing anyway. 

On 12/10/2018 at 2:15 PM, farmecologist said:

Awesome thread!  Thanks for your time and effort.

You have an amazing appetite though.  I'm not sure I could keep up with you!  😄

Thank you! It was just a vacation thing. I'm back to my normal eating routine- coffee for breakfast and a sensible dinner. Dreaming of my next dining purge 🙂

9 hours ago, whitsmom said:

As we are Emerald with Royal Caribbean, our first NCL cruise is on the Getaway in November 2019.  I was worried about all the free style dining so your post was a welcome read.  There will be 12 of us traveling together so that will create issues within itself.  However, 4 are early 20's and will probably be doing their own thing anyway. 

Thanks! We had a group of 8 and we made reservations in one dining room in advance. On the first night, we liked the location of our table and asked if we could have it for the remaining reservations. They were kind enough to accommodate us.

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 9:09 PM, ludicrous_speed said:

Bloody Mary! 

If you want it spicy, you have to spice it yourself (at the pool bar)

This bring me to the Jogging Path. Is that what that's called? Path?Track?

There is a major pinch point in front of the rock wall. The path is the only walk way in front of the rock wall and at the entrance to Margaritaville AND coming off the arcade AND going to the elevator bank. If you like to run, go early because a lot of people are walking through that area mid morning.

IMG_8450.jpg

Thanks for the picture of the Bloody Mary.  I noticed in a post of the osheehan's breakfast menu that they offer a discounted version.  I am curious about the size, are they about 8 oz?  Also  I might order a Virgin Mary in the am (no drink package).  Has anyone ordered a virgin drink in a tall glass?  I often do that in land bars at no extra cost, they just add a couple extra oz of juice and more ice.

Can you order a glass of tomato juice or grapefruit juice? cost?

Your pictures are great.  Loved seeing your son's strip steak,  I think DH will have a few...

Again thanks for the hard work, it really has helped a couple of newbies to NCL.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:53 AM, happy cruzer said:

Thanks for the picture of the Bloody Mary.  I noticed in a post of the osheehan's breakfast menu that they offer a discounted version.  I am curious about the size, are they about 8 oz?  Also  I might order a Virgin Mary in the am (no drink package).  Has anyone ordered a virgin drink in a tall glass?  I often do that in land bars at no extra cost, they just add a couple extra oz of juice and more ice.

Can you order a glass of tomato juice or grapefruit juice? cost?

Your pictures are great.  Loved seeing your son's strip steak,  I think DH will have a few...

Again thanks for the hard work, it really has helped a couple of newbies to NCL.

We had the drink package so I’m sorry to say that I don’t have any info on the costs involved for juices. I am confident that you can order them- I had tomato juice in the MDR everyday. I’m pretty sure it was free but I did not pay close attention.

I’m glad you liked the review and pictures! Enjoy your cruise!