What I ate on NCL Getaway 10/14 Eastern Caribbean

ludicrous_speed

The hot dogs at O'Sheehan's are pretty good! The buns are a little too much- I found myself ripping some off. The hot dog itself was larger than the oscar meyer ones in the grocery store. I like all beef hot dogs and these sure tasted all beef- I did not confirm that with anyone.

This hot dog is their version of The Coney.

IMG_8461.jpg

This review is AMAZING! Our kids and I seem to plan our vacations around food. We research exotic, different  (to us) and local food for areas we visit. Our cruise will be leaving from New Orleans, and that gives us a lot to look forward to. But your review us giving us so much to look forward to on the ship also. ThanK you for sacrificing, and ordering and sampling multiple different appetizers, entrées, and desserts, so we can see more variety. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for spending so much time photographing food and posting your opinions of it.  I love these kinds of reviews and I appreciate your insight.  Whenever I take a trip, I always plan to do a similar review to return the favor, but quickly realize how time consuming it is and stop. 

Oh, I like Long John Silvers too and think the O'Sheehan's fish and chips look pretty good.  Except way too little tartar sauce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ludicrous_speed said:

I ordered a bowl of clam chowder. I love clam chowder. It was ok.

West of St. Louis on I-70 near the Missouri River was "Noah's Ark". It was a huge ark/restaurant. It's long gone but they had awesome clam chowder. I've seen copycat versions of their chowder and for a quick fix at home I use that suggestion.

A couple years ago I had the Clam Chowder on the Queen Mary in Long Beach (prior to a Carnival Cruise) and it was really good.

IMG_8460.jpg

We were just talking about Noah's Ark awhile back, sure hated when it closed down.  Enjoying your food post, thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Stlcardsfan79
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Prnsessmoi said:

This review is AMAZING! Our kids and I seem to plan our vacations around food. We research exotic, different  (to us) and local food for areas we visit. Our cruise will be leaving from New Orleans, and that gives us a lot to look forward to. But your review us giving us so much to look forward to on the ship also. ThanK you for sacrificing, and ordering and sampling multiple different appetizers, entrées, and desserts, so we can see more variety. 

Oh we love New Orleans! Have you been before? I could go on and on about places to go/eat there.

Day Six- Dinner- Tropicana

This evening, we had plans to see "Million Dollar Quartet" in the theatre. We notified our server and she did an excellent job pacing our meal so we could make it to the show in time. 

I've never been a fan of shows on cruises but in full disclosure, I'm not sure I've done the best job researching what to see. I'm not a big fan of dance shows or variety shows. I think they are all extremely talented performers, but it's just not my thing. I do enjoy seeing a show with my wife but my brain usually wanders off and I'm not giving the performers the attention they deserve. Million Dollar Quartet was very entertaining. The performers are extremely talented. My two sons loved the show and started watching YouTube videos of Jerry Lee lewis and Carl Perkins when we got home. I was impressed with the set, the acting, and especially their musical talent. I highly recommend this show. Stay to the end if you can. At one point you think the show is over but they come out for an encore. A bunch of people got up and missed out on a fun final performance.

Back to the food.

This is the Coconut Shrimp. It was decent. I'm used to coconut shrimp that have the big flakes of fried coconut sticking out of the breading.

IMG_8477.jpg

This is the Italian Beef Meatballs. The menu lists a spicy marinara sauce and a topping of Parmesan Cheese.

Just OK. If you are passionate about Italian food you will be underwhelmed. If you are hungry, they will do.

I have to admit, I'm pretty lucky. My wife make amazing meatballs and it's just further proof that she must have lost a bet to end up with me. 

IMG_8478.jpg

This salad sounded interesting to me- Baked Brie Salad.

Puff Pastry, Baby Greens, Toasted Almonds, Granny Smith Apples, Honey Drizzle.

I like Baked Brie- reminds me of the holiday season. I really liked this. The greens had a very light vinaigrette and the honey complimented it well. 

IMG_8479.jpg

My second entree was the Sautéed Beef Strips with Chimmichurri Sauce. I didn't care for it. The beef didn't seem sautéed. Almost had a boiled look to it. The chimmichurri sauce lacked flavor to me. I've had chimmichurri plenty of times and I make it at home. I really like it. This was bland.

IMG_8481.jpg

For dessert, I ordered the Warm Banana Souffle with Butterscotch Whiskey Sauce. It sounded interesting and I had to fight my urge to avoid banana flavored items. It worked- I liked it. I'm not sure if my disappointment in my entrees elevated this dish, but I was happy with my dessert selection.

IMG_8482.jpg

Edited by ludicrous_speed
added a word

Day Seven- Breakfast- Taste Dining Room

One of the daily specials this morning was the Biscuit Benedict. I'm sold!

Again- eggs cooked perfect. The biscuit was light and fluffy and I loved that they could soak up all the hollandaise and egg yolk. It was served with their breakfast potatoes which I really enjoyed.

IMG_8489.jpg

• Like 1

Today we were in Nassau. This was our second time there. Our plan was to stay on the ship but my nephews have never been so we decided to walk around the port area. Here are a few pictures. We didn't wander far. If memory serves me correct, there were 5 other ships in port. It was crowded.

If you look close at the picture of water that had a bit of the dock at the bottom, you will see a Ray just under the surface. We were walking along the dock and we heard a loud splash and commotion behind us. My initial thought was someone fell in. We turned around and this Ray was leaping out of the water. It was surreal. I snapped a picture as it passed us.

IMG_8538.jpg

IMG_8517.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8547.jpg

IMG_8527.jpg

IMG_8537.jpg

We skipped lunch. We had a 5:30 reservation at Cagney's so once we were back on the ship, the kids wanted some french fries and I decided to get an ice cream at the buffet. The have a hard scoop station. I picked out Blueberry. It was good.

Sorry about the picture quality- I was walking when I took that. If you happened to encounter a moron walking and taking a picture of his ice cream cone while docked in Nassau, I sincerely apologize. I make decisions like a toddler when my wife is not around.

IMG_8515.jpg

• Haha 1

Loving your review with both pics and engaging antecdotes!! The Getaway was our 1st NCL Cruise last year and got us hooked. I’ve taken 2 Disney cruises since and to me the Getaway’s food for sure exceeded DCL. Thank you for taking the time to post this! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ludicrous_speed said:

Here in the St. Louis area we have "Steak n Shake". I'm not sure how far they reach but I don't recall seeing them in the west, northeast, or deep south so I assume it is more of a Midwest thing (correct me if I'm wrong).

Here in the deep South we also have Steak'n'Shake. The restaurants are always crowded.

P.S. I moved south from the "great state of Misery". :)

• Like 1

You got me (again:classic_biggrin:) on Day 6!  I would definitely order those 3 appetizers plus the Banana Souffle.  I was worried the new menus wouldn't have Souffle any more.  Amazing how they can serve up hundreds  of those nice and warm with that great sauce to pour on it......yum! 

• Thanks 1

Day Seven- Dinner- Cagney's

Cagney's seemed like the best fit for the eight of us. Most of our group enjoy a steak dinner. Making reservations for 8 before the cruise was a little difficult. It seemed like their system online would only let you book for the amount in your cabin. Our group was spread out over 4 cabins and we were concerned that we would end up with four tables of two. We called and they suggested to get it arranged once we were on the ship. The first day we were able to set our reservation but because we were a party of eight, our only option was 5:30. Not a big deal.

Maybe it was user error but I was not a fan of the online booking process. Example- having a dinner reservation at 5:30 would not allow a show reservation at 7:00. The system wanted two hours blocked for dinner. 

A few days in, I did discover that you could scan your card at the interactive information screens near the elevator lobbies and make reservations. I liked that you could look a few days in advance and see the number of available seats. That was easy. I really liked the interactive info- I loved that it could plot out your directions if you were a bit turned around. I did master the entire layout just in time to debark in Miami. 

To start dinner, I ordered the Potato Soup. It was good. Years ago I had the Lobster Bisque on an NCL cruise out of NOLA. I remember not being a huge fan of their version. I felt they did a good job with the potato soup though.

IMG_8570.jpg

For my entree I picked the large Filet. I think it was 8 oz? 

Side note: The server informed us that they were out of the Ribeye. Something to think about if you plan to book specialty dining for the last night. I guess you could run the risk of not having an item due to popularity the first six nights. 

I picked béarnaise as my side sauce. I asked the waiter if it would be possible to pay extra to have the Filet topped Oscar style. He dismissed it quickly. (I realize it's different kitchens- in the MDR that night, Veal Oscar was a special)

The Filet arrived and was cooked properly. The béarnaise was fine. Better than the strip steak they offer in the Main Dining Room? Yes. Steakhouse quality and worthy of the menu price? No. 

I think they do a great job making Cagney's look like a steakhouse. I don't think they do a great job with the steaks (for the price they are asking). They do an ok job. I think I would feel different if I had the specialty dining package. My opinion on this is purely driven on the value I felt I received paying a la carte. 

IMG_8575.jpg

• Like 1