What I ate on NCL Getaway 10/14 Eastern Caribbean

ludicrous_speed

25 minutes ago, ludicrous_speed said:

Dinner the first night she ordered the Shrimp & Artichoke Pasta. I tried it and I thought it was really good. I thought the presentation was nice and the shrimp were not overcooked.

Her thoughts: Amazing! The sauce was a bit lemony but creamy. There shrimp were plump and yummy.

oh, I would love this one! I don't like red pasta sauce, but I love all of the variations of the white sauce. And shrimp! I love shrimp!

By the way, you have inspired me to take pictures of all the items we will order on Jade. There will be 4 of us, and if our friends join us for dinner - 7. That's a lot of pictures - I already made sure to load a huge SD card into my phone. I intended to do it on our last cruise, but kept forgetting my phone.

My wife is a sweets junkie. Not so much candy, but she is crazy for any sweet baked goods- cookies, brownies, cakes. When we go out to eat, she usually glances at the desserts first. 

Anything with brownie in the name usually gets her attention. I can usually persuade her to try something new if I mention brownie.

"Here try this brownie crusted Elk tenderloin" 

I'm exaggerating. But just a little.

This was a Salted Caramel Tart. 

Her thoughts: "Disappointing. Overly sweet with no clear flavor profile."

That's pretty harsh coming from a sweets junkie. I thought it looked good.

IMG_0830.jpg

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Garrickg said:

Thank you so much for this review.  We board the 18th for a big family cruise   10 of us in total.   I'm hopeful that I can get one of the adult kids, or a grandkid or two to come to the MDR with me for breakfast.  My wife likes the buffet for breakfast and lunch, but I greatly prefer the food and experience in the MDR.    I believe our non-drinkers took the dining package as their booking bonus, and Cagney's is on their list of desires, we'll give it another try but my experience has been that it was disappointing in the past.     I definitely feel better about the dining after your review compared to a few complaints I've read lately.

We've got Steak N Shake in Florida, but its not as good as it was in St Louis, and I really miss Lions Choice.  4 years

Thanks! I was concerned as well. I could be completely wrong as we all have our preferences. I was happy. There were a few misses for me but there we so many other options- it was not a big deal to go get something else.

Lions Choice! The fast food gem of St. Louis! The BEST roast beef sandwich- and that au jus for dipping! I'm sorry to tell you this- but now you have convinced me to go for lunch. I may post a picture if thats not too much torture.

Anyone that may travel on I-70 through Missouri, Exit 225 has a Lion's Choice. Stop and get a roast beef sandwich. Their fries are really good too! For those out east- it's similar to a pit beef in Baltimore or a Beef on Weck (minus the weck) in Buffalo.

I dont know what it is about desserts on cruise ships.  Soooo many times, they look amazing but we wind up disappointed.  I am definitely going to taste every dessert that you have mentioned being good.  Esp looking forward to the lobster roll from Ocean Blue.  Thank you for this review.  It was quite unique for CC and I loved every post of yours.

• Like 1

Have anyone of you tried the crepe station on any of the NCL ships? I didn't realize there was one in the buffet on the Pearl until our last night and it was already closed for the evening. I really enjoy the dessert crepes, think I would prefer that to a lot of MDR desserts. 

• Like 1

Loving the review.  We are on the Epic for a TA next April so will have lots of time to try the various restaurants.  We plan to go mostly with the free dining venues, so I am loving your reviews of the MDR.  One question, if you order cappuccino in the MDR with dessert is there a charge?  We will have the UBP.

Thanks again.

36 minutes ago, Stlcardsfan79 said:

Have anyone of you tried the crepe station on any of the NCL ships? I didn't realize there was one in the buffet on the Pearl until our last night and it was already closed for the evening. I really enjoy the dessert crepes, think I would prefer that to a lot of MDR desserts. 

I have tried the crepe station in the buffet on several NCL ships. Never never disappointed except for the line lol

9 minutes ago, Deb and Jack said:

I have tried the crepe station in the buffet on several NCL ships. Never never disappointed except for the line lol

In Vegas at the Paris buffet the crepe line is the most popular place but the wait is worth it. I hope they have them on the Breakaway. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stlcardsfan79 said:

In Vegas at the Paris buffet the crepe line is the most popular place but the wait is worth it. I hope they have them on the Breakaway. 

Haven't been on the Breakaway but I can confirm there is a creep station on the Getaway, they are sister ships

2 hours ago, YVRBassElectric said:

ludicrous_speed thanks for this great food review! really appreciate you taking the time. Interested in your wife's opinions on the desserts - I have had a few "not worth the calories" & I have such a sweet tooth, I bring candy with me on vacation hahaha

Thank you! I'm glad you have enjoyed so far!

2 hours ago, PRgymnast said:

I dont know what it is about desserts on cruise ships.  Soooo many times, they look amazing but we wind up disappointed.  I am definitely going to taste every dessert that you have mentioned being good.  Esp looking forward to the lobster roll from Ocean Blue.  Thank you for this review.  It was quite unique for CC and I loved every post of yours.

Thank you! It's been fun. It's only been a week, but I love reminiscing about the trip. I really liked the flavor of the Lobster Roll! Can't forget those potato chips either- so light and crispy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stlcardsfan79 said:

That sounds like a great idea and I'm bummed I didn't try it. They also have hard scoop ice cream at the buffet. I thought that was a nice alternative to some plated desserts.

Come to think of it, I do recall seeing a station at the buffet that contained a hot dessert item (like an apple cobbler, or bread pudding) and they had a sauce to accompany to the side. It was different each day that I passed by. I never tried it, but it seemed popular to the other buffet visitors.

2 hours ago, pcrum said:

Loving the review.  We are on the Epic for a TA next April so will have lots of time to try the various restaurants.  We plan to go mostly with the free dining venues, so I am loving your reviews of the MDR.  One question, if you order cappuccino in the MDR with dessert is there a charge?  We will have the UBP.

Thanks again.

Thank you! We had the UBP as well. The specialty coffees were not included. At the bottom of the dessert menu was a list of coffee drinks for purchase. Cappuccino was listed- I think $2.95. Somewhere around that price range.

Although not the same as a cappuccino, a few in our group would order a Kahlua or Baileys from the beverage server near the end of the meal and a coffee from our server (and then mix). The shots are covered under the UBP.

On 10/27/2018 at 7:30 AM, ludicrous_speed said:

Oh we love New Orleans! Have you been before? I could go on and on about places to go/eat there.

We haven't. Will be staying 3 days pre-cruise in Feb. 2020. Already so excited. Would love to hear your tips. I belive we will be booking Omni Royal in Garden District, if that makes a difference. 

55 minutes ago, ludicrous_speed said:

Thank you! We had the UBP as well. The specialty coffees were not included. At the bottom of the dessert menu was a list of coffee drinks for purchase. Cappuccino was listed- I think $2.95. Somewhere around that price range.

Although not the same as a cappuccino, a few in our group would order a Kahlua or Baileys from the beverage server near the end of the meal and a coffee from our server (and then mix). The shots are covered under the UBP.

What a great idea!  Thanks again for the wonderful review!!

• Like 1

The first morning in the MDR, my wife ordered the Golden Belgian Waffle with Banana, Caramel Sauce, and Whipped Cream.

She also ordered some Hash Browns. 

Her thoughts: "The potatoes are phenomenal- ordered them every breakfast. Waffles were a bit tough but tasted good. Banana was yummy. Syrup was a little light. The whipped cream was cute but could have used a little more to start."

IMG_0833.jpg

• Like 1

This post has a theme: Reubens

The one in the basket is from O'Sheehan's and the one on Marble Rye is from Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach.

My wife ordered the Reuben at O'Sheehan's for lunch one sea day. Her thoughts: "The Reuben was good but a little skimpy. my advice would be to order two and combine them with extra sauce. Good salty chips and a great dill pickle!"

The Reuben from Joe's was the Lobster Reuben. We ate lunch there the day before we departed. They have a deli counter that opens up for lunch. It's called Joe's To Go. We had this sandwich there a few years ago and could not wait to get back and have another. It sounds weird but it is delicious. Lobster replaces the corned beef. Everything else is the same. Weird but it really works. You really realize how sweet lobster meat can seem. Just a heads up- Joe's Reuben is $20. We split it- its rich enough to enjoy a half a sandwich. Plus- that saves some $$ to get a slice of Key Lime Pie.

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_7701.jpg

• Like 1

For dinner in the MDR she picked the Carved Whole Roasted Pork Loin off the Classic Entree menu.

It was served with a pear brandy jus, grilled asparagus, and sweet potato mash.

Her thoughts: "Oh this was freaking good. The meat was not dry and the sauce was a great compliment. I normally don't care for sweet  potatoes but theses weren't bad."

I tried it and enjoyed it as well. I do remember her commenting a few times how much she liked her dinner.

IMG_0896.jpg