Symphony OTS Live! - Transatlantic Oct. 28, 2018 "Coming to America"

twangster

Follow along as I journey to Barcelona and board Symphony of the Seas as she is "Coming to America"   [queue Neil Diamond music]

I'll apologize in advance if I get photo intensive, that's just how I cruise.  If you are going to quote me, please be kind and don't include my photos in your reply unless they are relevant.  

Day -4

A year or so ago I had been thinking about Symphony and when I might be able to sail her.  Prices, as expected for her first year were elevated over her sisters.  That is until I came across the transatlantic sailing which at the time was priced close to many seven night Caribbean sailings on her.  Twelve nights on what would become the largest and newest cruise ship in the world for the price of seven?  

I was on Anthem when the light bulb went on and I booked it in a YOLO moment that only the drink package can induce.  

Itinerary is pretty light as ports go:

Day 1 - Embark in Barcelona, Spain

Day 2 - Sea Day

Day 3 - Malaga, Spain

Days 4 - 11 - Sea Days

Day 12 - Port Canaveral, FL

Day 13 - Debark, Miami, FL

No excursions booked or planned.  The ship is the destination.

I'll be sailing in a Boardwalk balcony cabin almost as far aft as you can go on deck 8 right above Playmakers.  My step count for this cruise should indeed also be elevated.  

I'm sailing solo as I often do since friends and family just can't keep up.  I won't be alone exactly as there will be a decent contingency from the RCPeriscopers.live community sailing with me.  Voom and satellite coverage permitting, there should be ample Periscopes (live broadcasts) from this sailing.  As of yesterday there are also 717 Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle participants.

A business commitment is keeping me stateside until Friday when I'll fly overnight to Barcelona arriving Saturday morning for a Sunday embarkation.  Not ideal but I've got to pay for this cruising addiction somehow.  

Since I'll be in the cruise capital of the world when we disembark in Miami I couldn't let that opportunity go without jumping on another ship so I'll be sliding up the coast to Fort Lauderdale to board Serenade the day we arrive in Miami.  That is a factor in my packing strategy since I'm not flying home between cruises.  

Speaking of packing, I should probably start,  later today, ...or maybe tomorrow.  There's plenty of time for that.

• Like 3

Just now, Pratique said:

Not even getting off the ship in Malaga?

I'll probably get off and self-explore, following my feet, depending on weather.  It may be an opportunity to explore the ship while it's a little less crowded which is pretty hard to resist at the moment.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

I'll probably get off and self-explore, following my feet, depending on weather.  It may be an opportunity to explore the ship while it's a little less crowded which is pretty hard to resist at the moment.

Malaga is a really nice city to go for a wander, although it was hit by very severe flash floods a couple of days ago, so clean-up operations are underway.

Following along and looking forward to your review and pics. :classic_smile:

How exciting to be on Symphony and an extra long cruise!  We'll be on her in Boardwalk room (similar location but up a couple decks so would love to hear how you find noise and the view). Safe travels.  Really looking forward to your review as you've given great other ones.

Day -3

With a burst of motivation last night I got most of my packing done.  Now if I can just get through my work activities I can focus on what's really important.  I'm going on a cruise!!!

Symphony will be the fourth Oasis class for me having already sailed on her other three sisters.  This will be the first time I've sailed Oasis class without access to Sky Class benefits.  Sailing solo I just couldn't justify the cost.  

I booked entertainment the day it opened and secured all of my desired times.

Having booked this cruise while on another cruise at the NextCruise desk I have some On Board Credit or OBC to use. 

I had a 4 night dining package but later cancelled it thinking I'd rather do that when sailing on her again with family in the future.  I may do one or two specialty dinners as the mood suits me if they are available.  I'm usually fine with the MDR or even the Windjammer for dinner so I may just go without any specialty dinners.

Flush with OBC I've booked a new offering, the Thermal Spa pass.  It's been available for purchase onboard for a while but being able to purchase this before the cruise is somewhat new and Royal is working through some growing pains rolling this out.  When purchased onboard the pass provides access to the Thermal Spa facilities during open hours.  In the Cruise Planner I was required to pick a specific time of day.  A phone call to Royal confirmed this was my time of day to use the spa for each day of the cruise.  If this wasn't a transatlantic with many sea days in a row that sort of time of day reservation wouldn't work for me.  I'm hoping that is just a glitch as they roll this out to the Cruise Planner and it will actually allow me access the thermal spa anytime during open hours.  I'll find out on Sunday!

I had acquired the drink package during a sale at a very good price but later cancelled it.  Twelve nights is a long time to drink day after day after day.  On my most recent cruise, a 13 night sailing, I didn't have the drink package and even my daily Diamond Happy Hour drinks started to venture into the drink fatigue zone after so many days.  Consequently I'm joining #TeamNoDX on this sailing.

My OBC also covered my Voom plan which was just $11.99 per day for Surf and Stream.  As a long time Voom consumer that's a pretty good rate.

My remaining OBC will be my drink package offset with Diamond Happy Hour drinks.

The Delta app on my phone just let me know it's time to check in.  Finally!

After waiting so long, it's finally here.

Edited by twangster

On 10/24/2018 at 10:06 AM, twangster said:

Follow along as I journey to Barcelona and board Symphony of the Seas as she is "Coming to America"   [queue Neil Diamond music]

I'll apologize in advance if I get photo intensive, that's just how I cruise.  If you are going to quote me, please be kind and don't include my photos in your reply unless they are relevant.  

Day -4

A year or so ago I had been thinking about Symphony and when I might be able to sail her.  Prices, as expected for her first year were elevated over her sisters.  That is until I came across the transatlantic sailing which at the time was priced close to many seven night Caribbean sailings on her.  Twelve nights on what would become the largest and newest cruise ship in the world for the price of seven?  

I was on Anthem when the light bulb went on and I booked it in a YOLO moment that only the drink package can induce.  

Itinerary is pretty light as ports go:

Day 1 - Embark in Barcelona, Spain

Day 2 - Sea Day

Day 3 - Malaga, Spain

Days 4 - 11 - Sea Days

Day 12 - Port Canaveral, FL

Day 13 - Debark, Miami, FL

No excursions booked or planned.  The ship is the destination.

I'll be sailing in a Boardwalk balcony cabin almost as far aft as you can go on deck 8 right above Playmakers.  My step count for this cruise should indeed also be elevated.  

I'm sailing solo as I often do since friends and family just can't keep up.  I won't be alone exactly as there will be a decent contingency from the RCPeriscopers.live community sailing with me.  Voom and satellite coverage permitting, there should be ample Periscopes (live broadcasts) from this sailing.  As of yesterday there are also 717 Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle participants.

A business commitment is keeping me stateside until Friday when I'll fly overnight to Barcelona arriving Saturday morning for a Sunday embarkation.  Not ideal but I've got to pay for this cruising addiction somehow.  

Since I'll be in the cruise capital of the world when we disembark in Miami I couldn't let that opportunity go without jumping on another ship so I'll be sliding up the coast to Fort Lauderdale to board Serenade the day we arrive in Miami.  That is a factor in my packing strategy since I'm not flying home between cruises.  

Speaking of packing, I should probably start,  later today, ...or maybe tomorrow.  There's plenty of time for that.

Did you check out our roll call.  Someone has talked Royal into setting up transfers of luggage and people from disembarking Symphony and then going directly to the Mariner 3 night and I believe the other one was Serenade. Happy cruising sea you onboard. 

• Thanks 1

Day -2

I've made it to New York!  One more flight!  

Uneventful trip to JFK, I watched two movies on the flight from Denver.  I'm sitting Delta's Skyclub writing this.  They used to be called 'Crown Room' but having flown a bunch back in those days I used to call them the 'Crowd Room'.  The terminal 4 Skyclub is living up to that legacy.    

Curious how our weather will be on this crossing.  It is what it is.  On a recent cruise down the U.S. East coast I didn't lose the jacket until we were almost off the Florida coast.  

My flight is delayed an hour.  Just received noticed my bag was loaded on the Barcelona flight.  That's always a welcome sign.  

Forecast is rain tomorrow.  I would have liked to stay longer and explore Barcelona but my schedule didn't cooperate.

The ship is the destination.

Edited by twangster

Guest BigRoger

All fantastic... we have reached London Heathrow on our journey to Barcelona today.... so excited for this ‘community cruise’... the Spanish weather will not dampen our spirits (very many of them will be consumed).... HP clearly knew we were ‘coming to america’ although the Symphony does not look like this... here’s preying that Ravens and Steelers is shown in playmakers while on the transatlantic.... go weddlesbeard...

629678DF-5AF8-40A5-AF56-CC355D4220C1.jpeg

Guest BigRoger

Suggested theme songs for this ‘community cruise’:(all obvious and not terribly clever)

- ‘coming to america’ - by Neil

- ‘symphony’ by clean bandit 

- for today only ‘one day more’ by les miserables

if these don’t get you going....

Day -1

Made it to Barcelona.  Uneventful flight after a nearly two hour delay leaving JFK. 

It was raining in Barcelona upon our arrival and our delayed arrival helped to ensure hotel rooms would be ready which they were.  I gave up my seat on the plane so a newlywed couple could sit together.  I ended up beside a larger man who overflowed slightly into my seat.  Consequently it wasn't a very good sleep rubbing arms all night long with my new close friend.  

At the BCN airport we had to use airstairs and buses to get to the terminal in light rain.

Easy customs process in Barcelona with a friendly Spanish customs officer who spoke English.  Our timing was good with no other planes adding people to the custom queues.  Luggage arrived after about 45 minutes.  

Uber reported no cars available so I took a cab to my hotel.  The AC Hotel Som is affiliated with Marriott and with a rate of €113 it was pretty reasonable for a nice hotel.   Taxi from the airport was €26.  (Uber indicated €20 if cars had been available).   I had a sheet of paper ready with my hotel name and address printed on it.  My driver spoke a little English, more than I can speak Spanish so being able to hand him the paper with the hotel's address made the experience very easy.

First order of business was a nap followed by a shower.  Human again.  

Despite the rain I headed out to explore a small section of Barcelona near my hotel.  Downtown urban environment with lots of Tapas bars, small restaurants with sidewalk covered seating and small grocery stores.  I picked up two bottles of wine since I happen to really like Spanish wine.  I headed out with the intention of reaching the waterfront but it started raining heavy so I cut my walk short.  I had a raincoat with me but my shoes and pants got quite wet.  I used the shoe dryer (aka hairdryer) in my hotel to help the drying process along.  It felt great to walk after sitting on planes for so long.

My TMobile phone is roaming on Vodaphone LTE speed limited per the roaming plan included with TMobile One-Plus at no additional charge.  It works great for keeping an eye on the taxi route, texting family and using my phone as a GPS walking around Barcelona.  The One-Plus plan also gave me free internet on the plane.  Pretty decent speeds but high latency, much like non-O3b Voom but faster.  Like Voom it is satellite based since we are flying over open ocean with no land stations to connect to the plane.

Daylight savings time ends tonight at 3am in Barcelona.  We get an extra hour of sleep.   

Early to bed tonight, tomorrow is a big day.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

My TMobile phone is roaming on Vodaphone LTE speed limited per the roaming plan included with TMobile One-Plus at no additional charge.  It works great for keeping an eye on the taxi route, texting family and using my phone as a GPS walking around Barcelona.  The One-Plus plan also gave me free internet on the plane.  Pretty decent speeds but high latency, much like non-O3b Voom but faster.  Like Voom it is satellite based since we are flying over open ocean with no land stations to connect .

I thought you could only text on plane with T-Mobile. Limited cell data overseas is a nice perk.  I keep all my texts welcoming me to new countries.  

18 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I thought you could only text on plane with T-Mobile. Limited cell data overseas is a nice perk.  I keep all my texts welcoming me to new countries.  

On Delta everyone gets free texting, regardless of cell carrier.  TMobile regular users get one hour of free internet.  TMobile One-Plus users get free internet for the whole flight.  I've used it domestically extensively.  This is my first experience using it over the Atlantic.  It worked right up until we were near landing in BCN.

The upgraded wifi on Delta works pretty good on the planes that have been upgraded.  Same with American Airlines who also uses Gogo - same platform.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

On Delta everyone gets free texting, regardless of cell carrier.  TMobile regular users get one hour of free internet.  TMobile One-Plus users get free internet for the whole flight.  I've used it domestically extensively.  This is my first experience using it over the Atlantic.  It worked right up until we were near landing in BCN.

The upgraded wifi on Delta works pretty good on the planes that have been upgraded.  Same with American Airlines who also uses Gogo - same platform.

I have a 24 hour gogo certificate I need to use in December.  I need to see if I have One-Plus

2 minutes ago, fielddreamer said:

Please advise on the Thermal Spa time situation when you get on the ship !. Thanks.  Bob

Oh yeah! One of my first stops.  A forum friend on another site asked on Oasis two weeks ago and Steiner (who runs the spas) told him they won't honor it because it's not in their system.    I'm hoping I don't run into that on Symphony or I'll be in the line at guest services.