Will we enjoy Anthem after Harmony?

edspec

Sailed on Harmony last summer and loved it. Have Allure booked for President's Week, but the airfare is expensive and times are horrible. About 60% less to fly to New Jersey, cabins pretty much the same price. Thoughts?

7 hours ago, edspec said:

Sailed on Harmony last summer and loved it. Have Allure booked for President's Week, but the airfare is expensive and times are horrible. About 60% less to fly to New Jersey, cabins pretty much the same price. Thoughts?

We sailed on the oasis class ships multiple times and love them! also enjoy the freedom class.  Tried the Quantum of the seas and really was very disappointed.  the ship was designed imo poorly.  the main section is choppy.  The whole experience was awful.  Not up to Royals standards.  if we want to cruise out of ny or nj we go on the celebrity summit.  have also tried ncl and carnival booth ehh.  If you sail on NCL and not in the Haven, it is horrible.

You will enjoy the Allure.  While the Harmony has a few more bells and whistles, the allure and her sister Oasis are great.  Hope to try the Symphony also.  

8 hours ago, edspec said:

Anthem is very different than Oasis class.  Try it and decide for yourself, no one here can know if you will like it.

I haven't been on Harmony - but have been on Allure (so, some similarities at least in some areas - but no slides).  I have been on Anthem and am going again in March.  I love Anthem as well as Allure for totally different reasons.  The layout of each ship is different completely.  I find Anthem has tons to do inside which is practical when you cruise in colder/cooler weather months.  I love Allure for warmer-weather sailing months.  I'm not big on the activities (age and, well, sheer clumsiness are totally against me), but, I love I-Fly on  Anthem.  The bumper cars/skating/SeaPlex is a super area (and lots have fun there).  

As Bob (Host Clarea) pointed out - you need to decide what is important to you on a cruise and then compare each ship to your "wants" and "needs".  Then you can make an informed decision.

Happy Cruising whichever ship you pick!

Love Anthem and Harmony!!  They are very different but Anthem has so many things to offer.  NorthStar, Ifly, bumper cars.

270 is my absolute favorite place and is so cool.  The shows are wonderful, I'm going on Anthem a 2nd time next summer.

We were on the Harmony transatlanic, and have also sailed Allure and Oasis and loved the cruises.  I was nervous about sailing Anthem after reading reviews.  We went last Feb and liked it so much we are going on it in 2 weeks and have another one booked for next year.  We did not enjoy the main dining very much.  Slow service; but the Windjammer for dinner was fantastic.  With that said, it will be the Windjammer for us in 2 weeks.  My advice is go and decide for yourself.  The ship is beautiful.

21 hours ago, CanadaRob said:

Different ship, different vibe, love Quantum class too. If Central Park and hanging in the promenade are big deals, than no Anthem is not great for you.  Nicer solarium on Anthem and lots of similar activities.

The Quantum class don't have a Promenade?

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

They do.  But Royal Caribbean decided to call it the Royal Esplanade, and it is different from the Royal Promenade of Oasis class ships.

Guess I'll have to Youtube it.  Mrs D will miss it if we go on Quantum Class, she loves her some Promenade. Thanks. 

Edited by Domino D

2 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Guess I'll have to Youtube it.  Mrs D will miss it if we go on Quantum Class, she loves her some Promenade. Thanks. 

What does she like about it?  Anthem has most of the same features; the layout is just different.

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

What does she like about it?  Anthem has most of the same features; the layout is just different.

It's her chosen spot to people watch, she likes the parades and partys, and just likes the street type feel of it.  I'm sure the one on the Anthem will be much the same for her, but you know it's different so there will be a comment. 

We sailed on Anthem and Allure. They are different. Allure has more features. Anthem is more basic.

Our main issue with Anthem was bad service in the main dining area. Not only it was slow, but many servers didn't even speak clear English and didn't understand what we want to order. Many times we had to wait for our order for 15-20 min only to send it back because it wasn't what we ordered. We cruise almost every year and tried the different ships, but never before experienced this language barrier. I honestly think that Royal should make sure that the serving staff can speak and understand English. I wrote the review on cruisecritic.com about this issue, but it was never published.

I too am concerned about Anthem.  Just got off Oasis by myself and it would have been PERFECT for my kids!  Central Park, the Boardwalk and 4 pool areas were great.  Except for Windjammer at times, the crowds seemed spaced out.  No real clogged areas.

I booked a 9 night out of NJ so we can drive in and drive home.  Plus the 9 night was cheaper than Harmony and we must go during summer.

I will just place the experience in my memory and think about taking them on the Oasis class in 2020 when the family is thinking about extended family cruise. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Max and Ruby said:

I too am concerned about Anthem.  Just got off Oasis by myself and it would have been PERFECT for my kids!  Central Park, the Boardwalk and 4 pool areas were great.  Except for Windjammer at times, the crowds seemed spaced out.  No real clogged areas.

I booked a 9 night out of NJ so we can drive in and drive home.  Plus the 9 night was cheaper than Harmony and we must go during summer.

I will just place the experience in my memory and think about taking them on the Oasis class in 2020 when the family is thinking about extended family cruise. 🙂

I was concerned before going on my first cruise on Anthem because of so many negative reviews.  I had been on every other class of ship in Royal's fleet and didn't know what to expect.  I absolutely  loved it.  Gorgeous ship, solarium is awesome, another large indoor pool area (perfect for inclement weather) and great entertainment.   Be sure to visit Cafe@270 for lunch.  Go with an open mind and I think you'll have a great time!

2 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

I was concerned before going on my first cruise on Anthem because of so many negative reviews.  I had been on every other class of ship in Royal's fleet and didn't know what to expect.  I absolutely  loved it.  Gorgeous ship, solarium is awesome, another large indoor pool area (perfect for inclement weather) and great entertainment.   Be sure to visit Cafe@270 for lunch.  Go with an open mind and I think you'll have a great time!

Thanks so much voyager70!