Same day flight times. This is okay?

MandaR

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:40 AM, MandaR said:

Well I just pulled up my paper work to recheck and I was off by times. Off and worse, apparently my flight arrives in Jacksonville at 1:57pm.  I am going to have to make some calls and sort this out.   Hopefully since we have time I can get the flights changed without a huge price markup.  Thank you everyone for helping, even if its not 'good news' its nice to know that my instinct was justifiable for this. 

Sadly its left a bitter feeling towards the agent, I feel like if my initial request had been made in the first place this added stress wouldn't be happening.  I'm not sure if they were trying to save me money, but since I'm paying $150 each way for airport to port shuttle, I'm guessing a hotel and taxi will not be a huge amount above and the final cost will be pretty close to the same.

Get this changed ASAP.  Even if you booked the entire package with Carnival, I would not feel comfortable with that short of a turnover time - it would actually make me a bit (OK, a LOT sick), especially as you are flying internationally...…..

On 10/28/2018 at 9:21 AM, ldubs said:

We frequently fly in the same day.  I don't stress over much but I would not do the arrival flight you describe.  As already suggested your departure flight should be fine and even if you do miss it all you lose is a delay getting home.  

Sounds like you have flexibility and are rebooking.  Good for you.   

Flying in the same day usually works - until it doesn't.  Then you miss the first day of your cruise unless the first day is a sea day and then you miss  one or more days of the cruise.  If you do not happen to have a passport with you since you are doing a closed loop cruise, you end up missing the entire cruise.

Idubs is giving you very bad advice.

DON

10 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Flying in the same day usually works - until it doesn't.  Then you miss the first day of your cruise unless the first day is a sea day and then you miss  one or more days of the cruise.  If you do not happen to have a passport with you since you are doing a closed loop cruise, you end up missing the entire cruise.

DON

Amen

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

DON

I think you completely misread my comment, or perhaps did not read beyond the first sentence.  No worries -- it happens.     

39 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think you completely misread my comment, or perhaps did not read beyond the first sentence.  No worries -- it happens.     

You may want to reread your earlier post too.

You told OP (regarding missing the flight home): "...all you lose is a delay getting home."  

As with the outbound flight, that delay could be more than a day (... hotel expenses?) and, even if not, there could be a hefty ticket price difference (same day purchase!!!) for restricted tix.

41 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I did read the entire post and you did indeed say that the arrangements that the OP booked were not good arrangements.  However, you also suggested to a 1st time cruiser that arriving on the day of the cruise is OK.  In today's airline flight world, arriving on the day of the cruise unless you have no choice is never OK.  Too many things can happen.  

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I did read the entire post and you did indeed say that the arrangements that the OP booked were not good arrangements.  However, you also suggested to a 1st time cruiser that arriving on the day of the cruise is OK.  In today's airline flight world, arriving on the day of the cruise unless you have no choice is never OK.  Too many things can happen.  

I am so confused.  Are you talking about some previous thread?     

I think my advice given here to rebook the flight was good.  Your criticism was about advice I never gave to the OP.  I don't think you earn brownie points for unwarranted criticisms.  

On a nonstop same day flight arriving early in the am, the chances of missing a cruise are low.  While I have and will likely continue to use them, I understand most here are uncomfortable with same day flights.   There can be no dispute that the chances of missing a cruise are greatly reduced by flying in a day or more earlier.   

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You may want to reread your earlier post too.

You told OP (regarding missing the flight home): "...all you lose is a delay getting home."  

As with the outbound flight, that delay could be more than a day (... hotel expenses?) and, even if not, there could be a hefty ticket price difference (same day purchase!!!) for restricted tix.

OK, I was responding to donaldsc for criticizing my advice that the OP not take the same day flight.  I thought he had misread my post.  

What you say is certainly possible.  I understand you are recommending the family of 5 to spend another night to eliminate the possibility of missing the flight.  Just my opinion -- with the afternoon flight, I did not consider it a high risk scenario.

On 10/28/2018 at 12:21 PM, ldubs said:

We frequently fly in the same day.  I don't stress over much but I would not do the arrival flight you describe.  As already suggested your departure flight should be fine and even if you do miss it all you lose is a delay getting home.  

Sounds like you have flexibility and are rebooking.  Good for you.   

I have difficulty in agreeing with your post, because it does not tell the whole story.  Flying in the same day is fine, if one is comfy with the added stress of worrying about the airlines.  As to missing a flight home, it can become a real hassle both financially and time wise.   Nearly all the airlines (Southwest is one exception) charge change fees if you miss your flight.  Perhaps you can get a break and they will waive the fees and put you on the next available flight...or perhaps they decide to enforce their rules.  Depending on your destination and flight options, you might get stuck in the port city overnight and that would be at your own expense.  There is also a possibility that the airline will charge you a higher fee for your replacement flight which can further add to the cost.

One other issue about flying-in the same day is checked luggage.  Airlines seldom lose luggage, but more commonly your luggage will miss the flight or somehow get on a different flight.  But whatever the situation, if your luggage does not show up at the luggage carousel...having an extra few hours or a day will help it catch up.

Hank

I did not recommend the OP fly in the same day.  I thought that flight was a real bad idea.   I give up <sigh>  

Everything you say about the flight home is valid.  My comment should have included those items.  No argument.  However, do factor in the cost of staying over another night for that next day flight.   My opinion was the flight time provided room to spare.   Anyway, my opinion (again) is there can be safe flights to be had on the same day as disembarkation.  I'm sure many will not agree. 

BTW, I thought even Southwest had change fees unless you book business select tickets.  But, I'll admit I have not flown SWA for a while.   

14 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I think we can lay this to rest, as the OP started another thread about transportation from a hotel in JAX to a supermarket to buy sodas.  EM

Yes, and I will apologize for starting this debate/mess -- wasn't my intent.  

I actually do agree that it makes sense to fly home the same day, but just wanted to make it clear there is a financial risk.  As to Southwest, they do not charge penalties and will normally put you on the next fight with available seats.  Technically you will get full credit for the unused tickets but must pay the then current cost of the ticket on that next flight.  Depending on who you deal with at the airport they might agree to not charge you the higher fare (if there is a higher fare).  The weird thing about SW is that it might turn out to be even cheaper to wait until the following morning when you might save enough on the airline fare to pay for an overnight in a hotel.  Some would argue that any airline can treat you with compassion, but I am not longer certain.

When we needed to get home from Japan because of a medical emergency, Delta had no problem charging us nearly $10,000 (per person) for a last minute business class airline ticket (bus class was necessary for medical reasons).   Sometimes the airlines can be nice....but other times they will hit you when you are down and just keep hitting :(.

Hank

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

When we needed to get home from Japan because of a medical emergency, Delta had no problem charging us nearly $10,000 (per person) for a last minute business class airline ticket (bus class was necessary for medical reasons).   Sometimes the airlines can be nice....but other times they will hit you when you are down and just keep hitting :(.

Hank

This is the number one reason I buy travel insurance every time I travel. My mom was medically evacuated from Switzerland after nearly two weeks in the hospital. A nurse was sent out to fly back with her. They flew in business class and I flew in economy. The travel insurance company arranged everything. All told, the medical issue caused nearly $40k in expenses that we didnt havecto worry about. Best $600 for both of us ever spent.

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I think we can lay this to rest, as the OP started another thread about transportation from a hotel in JAX to a supermarket to buy sodas.  EM

Yes, sorry my TA was able to get my flight switched to the day before our cruise.  Adding to that bonus our total flight/transport dropped $360!  I will need to add a hotel and shuttles, but I'm guessing it will still be under the $300 mark.  Plus I was paying for a hotel the night prior either way since initially it was a 6am flight.

For return at this point I've left it.  I am researching my insurance options as well as what the Fly2Fun program really offers if I miss that flight, but I did mention there was at least some time flexibility if we miss that flight, if not a lot of funds.