Macaroons!

Ready to Sail!

36 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I kind of hope they have the coconut macraroons 🙂

No, I have not seen coconut macaroons on Viking. Sorry.

On the other hand, I am not sorry they do not have coconut macaroons because I quite dislike them. Having said that, I adore the other non-coconut ones. Different people have different tastes I guess.

http://macarons.rocqgroup.com/  

This is the company that supplies the LV Whole Foods.  They are in Laguana Hills and I would imagine they supply other stores in Southern California.  They really are the best I have found in the states, almost as good as Laduree!  I say almost because how can a macaron be any better than eating it in Paris! 

15 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We live and we learn. Reading here sent me Googling:

Macarons vs. Macaroons: What's the Difference? ... Aside from both being delicious and similar in spelling, macarons and macaroons are entirely different cookies. First off, a macaroon is coconut based, whereas a macaron is meringue based.

Just read your explanation of the difference between  Macarons and Macaroons. Thank you , thank you.

I have to admit that I did not know that until you pointed it out. Now, I realise that  I am actually a Macaron Lover, and not a Macaroon Lover!!!

So , goodbye Macaroons, hello Macarons!

4 hours ago, Gnoelj said:

Talking from one Macaroon fan to another,  I have not seen them in the World Cafe but I am pretty sure  they have them in the Winter Garden at tea time.

However, unfortunately,  the Winter Garden at tea time does NOT have a help-yourself buffet spread (which they have on Oceania cruises at tea time.). The waiter brings to your table a selection of pastries, sandwhiches and cakes. And usually amongst them, there is ONE (yes only ONE) macaroon for each table. 

I discovered that Viking staff are usually very helpful and keen to please. If you request to them that you would prefer more macaroons, (and fewer of those not-so-interesting cakes or sandwiches),  they would bring it to you.  Only thing is, at tea time, unless you go real early, the Winter Garden is frequently full and there has been discussions on this board about finding tables.  Also, you may have to wait quite  a while sometimes to get served.

If I am correct, you could also go to the Explorer lounge nearby which has lots of free tables and they would serve you the teatime treats as if you are in Winter Garden (both Winter Garden and Explorer Lounge is on Deck 7). Do not forget to ask them for more macaroons!

Please note that  on Viking Cruises,  they only have ONE FLAVOUR of Macaroon for each tea time serving, but the flavours change . My favorite is their pistachio macaroon.

I am glad you contributed this.  I thought those were macaroons at tea but was afraid I might be wrong and kept it to myself.  Good to know about the explorer's lounge option, especially on sea days.

8 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

We will be going through CDG, but not Air France.  I am assuming I should be able to pick some up at one of the shops in the gate area, if I am functioning after having been traveling for almost 18 hours at that point.

For those of you who are into Macarons and go to Las Vegas, one of the Whole Food Markets there have some very good ones and lots of variety.  I tried to get them at a Whole Foods in the Bay Area once but they were not as good.  I have the name of the bakery who provides the LV store somehwere?  They can be ordered on line.  Will try to find that info. 

8 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Scootoir, this picture is for you!  A little Macaron snobbery here, LOL!  This was 4 years ago and I still have the b

Let's hear it for macaron snobbery!  I will be looking for the Laduree cart in CDG next summer.

I saw them at my local Whole Foods and resisted temptation, silly me.  Will get some on the next visit.

9 minutes ago, Scootoir said:

Let's hear it for macaron snobbery!  I will be looking for the Laduree cart in CDG next summer.

I saw them at my local Whole Foods and resisted temptation, silly me.  Will get some on the next visit.

Lucky you.  I live way up north and we don't have a Whole Foods.  Would have to drive 2+ hours south to Sacramento and they don't have the good ones from http://macarons.rocqgroup.com/ .  So when you go back, have one or two for me!

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

So they're just sugar then?

Meringue, which is egg white, maybe some sugar but I didn't read the recipe when I looked up the difference. 

I wonder how difficult they are to make at home?

Edited by Peregrina651

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

So they're just sugar then?

Sugar, almond flour, egg white, sort of like a meringue.  Fillings seem to be creamy like frosting or some more like jam.  "My" Paris pastisserie (corner of rue Cler and the rue du Champ de Mars) had a lovely selection but my favorite was the red, white & blue one made in anticipation ofBastille Day.

6 hours ago, dandylion said:

I love macaroons and macarons but what I really love are caneles ( small French cake). Any chance they will be on my first Viking Ocean Cruise ?

I do not believe I have seen them on Viking Ocean Cruise but I have seen them in the coffee bar on Oceania Cruises ships. There are there for you to help yourself. 

5 hours ago, Gnoelj said:

I do not believe I have seen them on Viking Ocean Cruise but I have seen them in the coffee bar on Oceania Cruises ships. There are there for you to help yourself

yes... that's where I first fell in love with them