Macaroons!

Ready to Sail!

20 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Isn't that a New Zealand dessert? 

There is an ongoing debate if it is Australian or New Zealand. There is also the idea that the dessert is German in origin and may have been tweaked first in the USA.

The chef in New Zealand may have been the first to call it a Pavlova when he served it during the ballerina's tour of Australia and New Zealand.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

There is an ongoing debate if it is Australian or New Zealand. There is also the idea that the dessert is German in origin and may have been tweaked first in the USA.

The chef in New Zealand may have been the first to call it a Pavlova when he served it during the ballerina's tour of Australia and New Zealand.

Interesting. The name sounds Russian to me so maybe is Eastern European origin.  I have read about it while research NZ trip.  I also saw a few pictures and it looks very good. Might have to google a recipe and try.  I just made my first attempt at Sacher Torte this week.  Didn't look too professional but tasted pretty good.  I think I will try the recipe on Viking Weekly next time.  

2 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Interesting. The name sounds Russian to me so maybe is Eastern European origin.  I have read about it while research NZ trip.  I also saw a few pictures and it looks very good. Might have to google a recipe and try.  I just made my first attempt at Sacher Torte this week.  Didn't look too professional but tasted pretty good.  I think I will try the recipe on Viking Weekly next time.  

I just googled and it was named after a Russian ballerina. 

3 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

I just googled and it was named after a Russian ballerina. 

So, to be clear it's origin is either Australia or NZ, as you say, up for debate.  What is factual  is that Anna Pavlova, the ballerina,  visited both countries in 1927.   

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Definitely New Zealand, after all Kiwi Fruit is frequently a topping, never seen Emu Fruit on top.

2 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

So, to be clear it's origin is either Australia or NZ, as you say, up for debate.  What is factual  is that Anna Pavlova, the ballerina,  visited both countries in 1927.   

I can also see the origins from Germany in the Pavlova.  Check out obsttorte (especially the recipes that call for a almond flavored meringue around the pastry shell) or the trummertorte that has a meringue layer between the cake and fruit.

Leave out the cake layer and that is a Pavlova.

45 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I can also see the origins from Germany in the Pavlova.  Check out obsttorte (especially the recipes that call for a almond flavored meringue around the pastry shell) or the trummertorte that has a meringue layer between the cake and fruit.

Leave out the cake layer and that is a Pavlova.

I see what you are saying, maybe the Pavlova originated in Australia/NZ but inspired by the German Tortes, and possibly tweaked along the way.   They all look wonderful.  My husband's grandparent's came from the  Czech Republic and we have been several times, along with Germany and Austria.  We have a real fondness for Eastern European pastries/cakes.  I think I will try the Pavlova in the spring when our local Strawberries arrive.  Thanks for all this interesting food history.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:40 PM, zitsky said:

Could we stop this and agree that macaroons are the best?

Sorry, while I do like macaroons - especially those with chocolate - the coconut gets caught in my teeth and I’m dealing with it for hours. Macarons on the other hand are a little piece of heaven that just melts in your mouth!

Macaroni is lovely with melted cheese, but macarons top my list!  Looking forward to my next Viking Tea, where I found those yummy rounds on my plate!

I'm starting to wonder about the sanity of people who keep insisting that macarons are better.

1) They are foreign and nothing foreign is any good.

2) It's just a pile of sugar.  It can't be good for you.

3) Macaroons are coconut.  People have been eating coconut for thousands of years for the nutritional value.  If it sticks in your teeth, dental floss is cheap and easy to find.

/s

Let's hope that anyone not open to new experiences, food or otherwise, will soon figure out that maybe cruising is not vacation for them.

And for those who have a history of just stirring the pot without adding anything to the conversation, give it a rest. 

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Let's hope that anyone not open to new experiences, food or otherwise, will soon figure out that maybe cruising is not vacation for them.

And for those who have a history of just stirring the pot without adding anything to the conversation, give it a rest. 

So now it’s if you don’t like Macarons don’t cruise.???

8 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I think Zitsky has a dry, maybe a little wicked,  sense of humor and that is how I am taking the posts. Maybe Homosassa isn't reading it that way, but I doubt she meant her remarks too seriously either, and I know from past posts she has a sense of humor.    Humor can be tricky to interpret sometimes if we can not see the facial expressions that go along with the remarks, or we don't know the personality.  

So, let's all eat whichever we want, Macaroons, Macarons, or Macaroni, but let's just leave Macron alone today as he has enough on his plate right now.  All I know is only 111 more days and I will be at CDG buying Macarons, yahoo!

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 1:20 PM, GUT2407 said:

No, I didn't mean that.

There is so many new things that can be tried and learned about when traveling. 

And if one tries something new and one does't like it, that is fine. However, there is no need to just harp on the dislike and make derogatory comments.

For the record, I like macaroons, macarons, kringler, pavlovas, and just about anything that I shouldn't eat but I do.