Macaroons!

Ready to Sail!

Kringle is a Scandinavian pastry that is in a pretzel shape.

The Norwegian bakery in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, NY made kringler fresh daily when we lived there.

Their version is a light puff pastry that had an almond paste filling with chocolate icing and chopped almonds on top.

There can be different fillings. 

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Kringle is a Scandinavian pastry that is in a pretzel shape.

The Norwegian bakery in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, NY made kringler fresh daily when we lived there.

Their version is a light puff pastry that had an almond paste filling with chocolate icing and chopped almonds on top.

There can be different fillings. 

Our Trader Joe's carries these kringles from Wisconsin about 4 times a year with different fillings.  Not sure how it compares to other kringles but we sure like it.  

Kringle.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2018 at 9:03 PM, Ready to Sail! said:

And they certainly look and taste totally different.  I had never heard of Macarons until we went to Paris, where my obsession began-with macarons and Paris!

On 10/29/2018 at 8:59 PM, Peregrina651 said:

We live and we learn. Reading here sent me Googling:

Macarons vs. Macaroons: What's the Difference? ... Aside from both being delicious and similar in spelling, macarons and macaroons are entirely different cookies. First off, a macaroon is coconut based, whereas a macaron is meringue based.

There is also a BIG price difference.  You can get a whole box of macaroons for the price of ONE macaron!

We were watching a Holiday baking championship on the Food Network and it was making me crazy that professional bakers were calling macarons - macaroons! 

34 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

LOL! Macaroon vs Macaron vs Marcon vs Maron (very important for those going to northern Italy)

Guess it's best I didn't find a picture to include maron!! This is news to me and I have been to northern Italy several times.  Always something new to learn.  Thanks for sharing that info (I had to google).

1 hour ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Glad to see my favorite topic pop back up. For all of us who tend to get confused, this picture should help, with some added clarification! 

870D53CE-B6A6-4068-B833-BF3B3A2093C5.jpeg

You forgot macaroni.

Edited by Scootoir

On our last VO cruise, we were so busy we really didn't have time to indulge - and only managed a very brief visit to afternoon tea!  I believe I did spy some macarons, but got involved in a chat with some other passengers, and never got around to the macarons.

I can't clearly remember though, on a cruise with X that in Luminae some truly fabulous blackcurrant (cassis) flavoured macarons were among the treats offered at the end of dinner on a formal evening, and they were so fantastic I can still fondly remember the experience.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, Ready to Sail! said:

Because they're pretty!!! 

While I do understand why people like the lovely little macarons, they are not a favorite of mine ... can take them or leave them.  My daughter, however loves them so I keep my eyes open for them when I am out and about.  Costco here has them periodically and I picked some up the other day ... had them before and DD said they are "pretty good" ... not Laduree but pretty fair for Costco! 

FWIW ... They are made from almond flour so they are a nice little gluten free treat !

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Macaroons are often gluten free.  Take that, macarons!

Oh Zitsky, Zitsky, don't you know?  Macarons are tied for the ultimate GF dessert in my book (along with crème brulee).  I must eat gluten free for the past 2 years and didn't have to give them up.  No baguettes or pastries in Paris last year but a macaron a day kept the doctor away.

Macarons small.jpg

All your attempts to convince me of the superiority of macarons fall on deaf ears.  What could be better than toasted coconut?  Even better when you add chocolate.  (Although it does start to taste like an Almond Joy.)

3 hours ago, molymoo said:

While I do understand why people like the lovely little macarons, they are not a favorite of mine ... can take them or leave them.  My daughter, however loves them so I keep my eyes open for them when I am out and about.  Costco here has them periodically and I picked some up the other day ... had them before and DD said they are "pretty good" ... not Laduree but pretty fair for Costco! 

FWIW ... They are made from almond flour so they are a nice little gluten free treat !

Yes, I saw them in our latest Costco flyer but have not gotten there yet.  Trader Joe's also carries them in their freezer case.  As you say, OK, but not Laduree.  We will have a few hours layover at CDG on our way to Athens in April so will definitely be picking up some at a Laduree  counter.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Laduree was a good landmark when I tried to find the caviar restaurant in CDG.  I did buy some macarons for a friend but not for me.

Well, considering your aversion to them, that was really nice of you.  You're a good friend.  Maybe you should have tried a coconut one.  Might have been a good substitute for a macaroon. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Well, considering your aversion to them, that was really nice of you.  You're a good friend.  Maybe you should have tried a coconut one.  Might have been a good substitute for a macaroon. 

I felt intense guilt from buying something I consider inferior.  Even for someone else.  It has taken a long time to get over the shame of it.

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1