Has anyone used points (Marriott or Hilton) to book a cruise

63 Super Sport

We have used Marriott and Hilton points to book cruises in the past.  My suggestion to you is to look at each reward program and see what the point to $ ratio is as each program is different.  If you decide to do a cruise through Marriott or Hilton, you must make your reservation through their program and use their preferred travel company (I believe it is Cruises Only).  Once your reservation is made, you can't make any changes --- if price drops, you can't adjust cost. 

I have used my Chase UR to book my upcoming cruise. It was a a great value for me, and likely will be my go-to method of booking cruises from now on.

While I don't have the facts handy, if I was a betting man, I would say you probably won't get the best value for your hotel points, booking a cruise. Most hotel points are worth the most when used for hotel stays.

As mentioned above, look at the redemption rates before making any decision.

All types of airline/hotel points are merely an alternative "currency", and one needs to be aware of what the "exchange rates" are so that you get the most bang for your points.

In my experience looking, the redemption rates are lousy when applying to cruises - even for the cruiseline's own credit card points.  And remember that you have the opportunity cost lost when you use the points, rather than a credit card to earn points on your major purchases.

Do the math.  See what works.  (And the best redemption values are often the "cash and points" offers for lodging).

Agree with Italy52.  I have a rough of idea of what my Hilton Honors or Hilton Grand Vacation Club points are worth by comparing how much it costs to book a room using dollars or points.  Anytime Hilton or HGVC has offered a cruise using points to book it, the cost is astronomical when I figured how much those points are worth in terms of dollars.  So far, we have been much better off using the Hilton points for hotel stays before and after a cruise, and purchasing the cruise through our big box warehouse club travel department and enjoying the perks they give us to use on the cruise.

I'm a Hilton Honors member, have a Hilton Honors AMEX card, and am a member of Southwest Rapid Rewards.  Those 3 things enable me to travel and cruise a lot more than I would be able to do otherwise.

I've looked at the number of HH points it would take to book a cruise.  Unless you have points to burn, I agree it's not the best use of your money (points).

Roz