Uber XL from Port Everglades? Advice please.

jasm8449

Disembarking tomorrow, Monday morning on Reflection. 

Thinking about using Uber XL for the first time instead of a taxi. Expect to leave ship 9:30am. 

We have a collapsible scooter and 2 suitcases, 2 tote bags. On the way to the airport need to stop at a particular bank 5 minutes from cruise port. Will want driver to wait 15-30 minutes, then straight to Fort Lauderdale airport for our 1:30pm flight. 

Will using Uber XL help us avoid the long taxi wait lines (waiting also for appropriately sized taxi)?

Where exactly is the Uber pickup point at the cruise terminal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

They will show you who is the driver and what kind of vehicle and the location of the driver once you Booked Uber.

They do accept credit card for payment.

Just wave at the driver if you know the driver is nearby.

Edited by verizon

1 hour ago, verizon said:

They will show you who is the driver and what kind of vehicle and the location of the driver once you Booked Uber.

They do accept credit card for payment.

Just wave at the driver if you know the driver is nearby.

Yes, after you get off the building then you make the booking and they will pick you up at the terminal  of pick up area.

Edited by verizon

It is a very nice setup at Port Everglades.  There are 2 "islands" next to each other.  One is taxi pickup and the other is family/friends/Uber pickup.  Both islands are supervised by the Broward County Sheriff's office so it is very well organized and not far from the terminal.

I think that is an awful lot to ask if you want the Uber driver to wait 15-30 minutes for you while he/she not only goes out of the way to stop the bank but then also wait.  You can discuss with that Uber driver when they pick you up ... 

Be prepared to discuss with the driver that you will leave a very hefty tip for the extra mileage and waiting time ... if 15 minutes, I would tip at least and additional $25 and if 30 minutes, an extra $40 or $50....in cash!  I think they have a little flexibility so it might be worth discussing.  If not, maybe book a trip to the bank and book another trip from the bank to the airport.  It really isn't all that far from Port Everglades to the FLL, so your stop sounds like it could be longer than the drive from the port to the airport.  

Another option may be to book a town car that charges by the hour.  

Wow. That’s a lot of negative assumptions you’ve made here. Of course I expect to pay for the waiting time one way or the other. I understood that there is an actual per minute charge for waiting. 

I was was hoping to avoid having to unload scooter and luggage, schlep them into the bank, and load them back into another car. And I fully expected to pay for the convenience 

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think that is an awful lot to ask if you want the Uber driver to wait 15-30 minutes for you while he/she not only goes out of the way to stop the bank but then also wait.  You can discuss with that Uber driver when they pick you up ... 

Be prepared to discuss with the driver that you will leave a very hefty tip for the extra mileage and waiting time ... if 15 minutes, I would tip at least and additional $25 and if 30 minutes, an extra $40 or $50....in cash!  I think they have a little flexibility so it might be worth discussing.  If not, maybe book a trip to the bank and book another trip from the bank to the airport.  It really isn't all that far from Port Everglades to the FLL, so your stop sounds like it could be longer than the drive from the port to the airport.  

Another option may be to book a town car that charges by the hour.  

Uber now allows you to add stops in your ride.  When you open the app, you can add the intermediate stops right there.  That will let the driver know that the ride will be more complicated (and moe expensive).  

Look on the Uber site for instructions on multiple stops using Uber.

Click on "Where to?" then tap + next to the destination box to add stops at any point before or during your ride.

1 hour ago, Algebralovr said:

Uber now allows you to add stops in your ride.  When you open the app, you can add the intermediate stops right there.  That will let the driver know that the ride will be more complicated (and moe expensive).  

Click on "Where to?" then tap + next to the destination box to add stops at any point before or during your ride.

Thank you for this very helpful information.  

1 hour ago, Algebralovr said:

Thank you for this very helpful information.  

1 hour ago, jasm8449 said:

Wow. That’s a lot of negative assumptions you’ve made here. Of course I expect to pay for the waiting time one way or the other. I understood that there is an actual per minute charge for waiting. 

I was was hoping to avoid having to unload scooter and luggage, schlep them into the bank, and load them back into another car. And I fully expected to pay for the convenience 

I really don’t think a negative assumption was being made. I had the same thought. Unlike taxi’s, uber doesn’t run a meter. You put in your pickup and drop off location and it quotes you a price right then and there, and that’s always been the price I paid. So if you put in a pickup at the port and drop off at the airport, the price wouldn’t reflect stops along the way, which may have needed to be negotiated w the driver outside of the app. I was unaware that uber’s App now allows for stops. Good to know.

We are also getting off reflection tomorrow. However, we need to get to the rental cars at the airport since we are staying in Fort Lauderdale for a week. I understand they don't allow Uber at Fort Lauderdale Airport. Can you Uber there to the rental car place from the Fort Lauderdale port? Is it better or cheaper or quicker than a taxi? Thanks.

4 hours ago, jasm8449 said:

What??  Not negative at all .... just answering your question.  And, I never assumed you wouldn't pay him.  I was only stating that it should probably done in cash and giving you my opinion on how much that should be.  

I know that Uber has a newly implemented charge f you aren't where you are supposed to be when they pick you up.  I am unaware, though, if they have a uniform charge for going off the scheduled route....maybe they do, maybe not.  I was simply stating that I think you have to discuss with your driver if you want to stop and have him/her wait.  Cash is king ... would tip in cash accordingly unless there is an ability to order it as such online.  If there is, I've never seen it and we take Uber quite often.  I've seen flexibility with the driver's themselves, though.  

5 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

The additional stops you can add are supposed to be under 3 minutes. It's not meant to have the driver allow you to run your errands while they wait. Yes, some drivers may allow it, but I would not depend on it. Do not be surprised if the driver says no and you have to do two separate trips. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212

Given this, I would tell the driver up front what you need and discuss direct payment in cash.  Uber drivers are self employed.  If you sign up in Uber to be driven to the bank, then when the driver gets there, state that you also need to go to the airport after some business at the bank, and ask how much, the driver might be willing to exit from the Uber driver app once you arrive at the bank, wait, then drive you to FLL.  The issue is that this violates the Uber driver agreement, so the driver may not be willing.  If you are prepared to pay in cash, though, they may.

As suggested above, you could simply book a car with someone like Larry's Limos.  Then, you are already booking a specific amount of time and should have an up-front cost declared.  If you go to the Florida Departures board, they discuss limo companies.

Thank you all who provided me with advice and options. I thought I would follow up with what we ended up doing. 

The line for an SUV taxi was just a few minutes. Luggage and collapsed scooter were loaded up. We told the driver we wanted to go to the airport but first stop on the way there. Asked him if he would be willing to wait with the meter running and he said no problem.  With a15 minute wait at the bank the total fare was $28 plus tip. 

Worked perfectly and we we didn’t have to unload and load again for 2 separate rides.