What is your favorite cruise "hack"?

grillinchillin

12 hours ago, naylum said:

Great tips and hacks, thanks everyone for contributing. My tip is to get a soup cup from the buffet and use this for a tea/coffee cup, easy to take to your cabin - Easy- No spills

I'm confused as to why you would not just use a coffee cup? What am I missing?

Edited by Bookbug53

59 minutes ago, Firery Fairies said:

If I remember correctly the coffee cups are small compared to the soup cups.

Well if that is the reason I would rather have 2 cups that have handles than try to sip from a bowl without any. Just me. :classic_smile:

14 minutes ago, Bookbug53 said:

Well if that is the reason I would rather have 2 cups that have handles than try to sip from a bowl without any. Just me. :classic_smile:

Not sure about Carnival's soup cups, but most soup cups have handles...that's why they are called "cups" and not "small bowls".

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Not sure about Carnival's soup cups, but most soup cups have handles...that's why they are called "cups" and not "small bowls".

not necessarily. my soup cups do not have handles, semantical  argument  

On 1/12/2019 at 3:02 PM, FL-Cruzer said:

One of the best hacks I have found is to take one of $5 emergency lights you get a Big Lots or any discount store. I found the one with a light switch works best. Then glue a magnet to the back and stick it inside the bathroom just inside the door.  This way you do not have to turn on the bathroom light and wake others up in your cabin.  Plenty bright to see what you are doing.

I like the cheap electric tea lights from the discount stores. Leave them on as a night light in the toilet and on the desk. We stay in inside rooms, so a little light goes a long way!

I love these shower hangers to conserve space in the tiny bathroom.  If there's no rod, I take suction cup hooks and attache it to the wall.  Mayin Quick Dry Hanging Caddy and Bath Organizer with 6-Pocket, Hang on Shower Curtain, Shower Organizer, Mesh Shower Caddy, Bathroom Accessories, Save Space in Small Bathroom Tub with 4 Rings https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y9O7I1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8 minutes ago, TNVolnteerCruiser said:

I love these shower hangers to conserve space in the tiny bathroom.  If there's no rod, I take suction cup hooks and attache it to the wall.  Mayin Quick Dry Hanging Caddy and Bath Organizer with 6-Pocket, Hang on Shower Curtain, Shower Organizer, Mesh Shower Caddy, Bathroom Accessories, Save Space in Small Bathroom Tub with 4 Rings https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y9O7I1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We bought something similar last year. Except ours has a single hook for hanging and a thin metal bar across the top so it hangs evenly and doesn't droop when you fill it. Very handy. Much better than setting shampoo bottles and such wherever we could in there.

28 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

We bought something similar last year. Except ours has a single hook for hanging and a thin metal bar across the top so it hangs evenly and doesn't droop when you fill it. Very handy. Much better than setting shampoo bottles and such wherever we could in there.

Post a picture.

52 minutes ago, five. said:

Post a picture.

61Ank6MpQdL._SL1001_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/NANAN-Hanging-Organizer-Bathroom-Accessories/dp/B071CF7TGJ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=NANAN+Quick+Dry+Hanging+Bath+Organizer&qid=1557954534&s=gateway&sr=8-3-spell

We preferred the hook as opposed to the rings just so we didn't have to run a curtain rod or something through the rings, or bring hooks. With a single hook in the center, they tend to droop when you put stuff in them, but the metal rod across the top that kept it hanging evenly sealed the deal for us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

61Ank6MpQdL._SL1001_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/NANAN-Hanging-Organizer-Bathroom-Accessories/dp/B071CF7TGJ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=NANAN+Quick+Dry+Hanging+Bath+Organizer&qid=1557954534&s=gateway&sr=8-3-spell

We preferred the hook as opposed to the rings just so we didn't have to run a curtain rod or something through the rings, or bring hooks. With a single hook in the center, they tend to droop when you put stuff in them, but the metal rod across the top that kept it hanging evenly sealed the deal for us.

I don't think that model/style was available last time I cruised in 2017. So I bought this one. I like the construction of yours better. But despite that, the one I have worked GREAT. It was so great to have a solution to my little bottles constantly falling down off that metal bar. All my stuff stayed in place and organized. I wish I'd had this from the beginning of our cruising days! 

fullsizeoutput_2293.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2295.jpeg

• Like 1

Is there a "cruise bingo" card set somewhere? Might give my kids something to do when they're not in their various clubs or doing other activities. I'm sure we'll spend lots of time at the various pools and slides, but maybe I can motivate them to keep their eyes peeled for odd things that they may see while on board (hopefully not things that will scar them for life lol).

I haven’t read through the whole post, but here are a few of my hacks...

1. Bring clips for the deck chairs to keep your towels from blowing away or falling down. The Dollar Tree sells a set of 4. 

2. I sometimes order room service on the first morning and keep the tray to use on the Lido. I often cruise solo and prefer just to make one trip. 

3. Take your own glass of wine to dinner from the bottle you’re allowed to bring.

4. Open the outside cabinet door to the refrigerator to help it stay colder. It runs better with better ventilation. 

35 minutes ago, CRUISERMOMX3 said:

3. Take your own glass of wine to dinner from the bottle you’re allowed to bring.

You would then have to pay a corkage fee, correct? Or do you actually mean pouring wine out into a wine glass in your stateroom and then bringing it to the dining room?

Edited by jbethel11
pay instead of put*

As promised, I’ve begun packing using the cubes.  In my medium  cube, I’m able to pack the following: 12 prs of underwear (good grief my panties are on the Internet 🙄), 2 bras, 2 prs pajamas, 2 Spanx, 1 pr socks, 2 swimsuits and 1 cover up.  

I put a pic of the packed cube next to the Roku remote for reference.  I’m thinking my 27-inch suitcase will be big enough. 

059C548B-84E5-460F-86E3-959F3AF2EC5E.jpeg

0310924B-5049-42CF-99FF-D642D771227B.jpeg

• Like 1