What is your favorite cruise "hack"?

grillinchillin

2 hours ago, Sean_B said:

To clear up some confusion, can you confirm that this is only for the lights and that the power sockets will still work without a card inserted into the slot?

The only time we leave a card in the slot is when we are trying to charge something.  We never use our cruise card though. We use some generic card that we take out and put within easy reach.  I don't want to take the chance of leaving my card in the cabin.  BTW, before you take the card out and leave your cabin, make sure your spouse isn't in the bathroom.  Been there, done that!  😨🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Squadleader said:

I never figured fluorescent lights used much electricity, unlike heaters, motors etc. 

I had an empty retail space, about 10,000 square feet, that had fluorescent lights. To discourage vandalism, I thought it would be a good idea to leave the lights on continuously, so the police would be able to see into the building at night since there was lots of glass.

I changed my mind when the first month, the electrical bill for just the lights was over $600, and that was just for one building, not a thousand cabins.

There is no electric bill, they use generators. Florescent light use way less electricity than incandescent, however the industry has switched to LED which can look like either and burn very little power.

1 hour ago, coevan said:

There is no electric bill, they use generators. Florescent light use way less electricity than incandescent, however the industry has switched to LED which can look like either and burn very little power.

Those generators burn fuel and the more fuel they burn, the more it costs the cruise line.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 3:56 PM, FSHLOT said:

Not sure if its a "hack",  but I mix my lemonade and iced tea from the lido deck....:classic_biggrin:

I do the same.  I don't care for either Lido's lemonade or iced tea so I mix them together.

5 hours ago, Squadleader said:

That's true, it doesn't even have to be a plastic card, a simple paper business card works just fine. I used a business card, I didn't try it, but I'd bet even a simple piece of heavy paper (maybe a piece of the Fun Times), torn the correct size to fit into the slot, would work too.

I think I read somewhere that even the electrical outlets are shut down when the slot doesn't have a card in it, so charging a device while you're out of the cabin, is the reason most people would want to put something in the slot while they're out of the cabin. So to be fair, unless the outlets are cut off, there's probably no real reason to circumvent the slot, which is the master electrical switch for the entire cabin.

If the workaround wasn't so simple, it would really mean that no electricity would be used in any empty cabin. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet that would reduce the electrical usage on the ship over 20 percent. The multiplier is incredible, there's probably around a thousand cabins on the ship, each with all the lights on most of the time.

I think their intention was for people to use their S&S cards. Since everyone needs to take them when they leave their cabin, Carnival probably figured the lights would always be turned off. But people use other cards as a workaround. I've even seen some people say they've used business cards. I've also seen a few people say they'd leave something in the slot, but their steward would always take it out. Not sure how common that is, though.

2 hours ago, Sean_B said:

Those generators burn fuel and the more fuel they burn, the more it costs the cruise line.

on light bulbs? especially LED, doubt if this is even an issue with CCL

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

Easily more than 10,000 light bulbs on a cruise ship and even on the low end at 13 watts per bulb (which would be a 60 watt equivalent), that's 130 000 watts of power required.

Edited by Sean_B

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

so can you equate that a dollar value? it's not like Excel is billing them monthly

**I** can't, but I can guarantee you that Carnival has business and financial analysts that certainly can. Every gallon of gas that goes towards providing power on a ship is a dollar value spent, which means lower profit for the cruise line.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coevan said:

1 hour ago, coevan said:

1 hour ago, coevan said:

so can you equate that a dollar value? it's not like Excel is billing them monthly

You keep arguing that there's no need for them to save electricity. So tell us, why did they introduce such a unique electrical system in the cabins that disables everything without a card in the switch's slot?

When we cruise with our son (who is now 20), we bring some magnet hooks and a shower curtain to hang between the closet area and the rest of the cabin. It allows privacy to change clothes and makes it possible to open the bathroom door after showering, so we're not trapped in a steamy bathroom.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2019 at 7:14 AM, Bookbug53 said:

Yes, prior to 10pm you will find plenty of free items (sandwiches, cookies, chips, etc. and also some pay items (chicken wings, fries, etc). You can get milk, juices for free but will pay for soft drinks and alcohol at all times.

If you do the alcohol or drink packages will it be free for those items for room service as well? 

9 hours ago, legieza said:

If you do the alcohol or drink packages will it be free for those items for room service as well? 

Beverages excluded from the program are:

• Beverages promoted and sold in souvenir glasses
  • Bottles of liquor
  • Beverages offered at the gangway 
  • Beverages offered through room service, mini bars and/or other in-stateroom beverage programs
  • Sharing cocktails, floaters, pitchers, tubes and buckets 
  • Beverages offered through enomatic wine machines
  • Freshly squeezed orange juice served in the Havana Bar
  • All other beverage-related programs including merchandise, cigars and cigarettes
  • Food items
Edited by Sean_B

On 11/8/2018 at 3:56 PM, FSHLOT said:

Not sure if its a "hack",  but I mix my lemonade and iced tea from the lido deck....:classic_biggrin:

My gf did that this trip and thought or it on here own and she got me hooked! Our own Arnold Palmer drink! haha!

We’ve been reading this thread recently for ideas since it’s been awhile since our last cruise, and there are so many great tips.

Thanks to the posters who mentioned the battery powered fans.  I went ahead and bought one even though our cruise isn’t until December.  I’m so glad I did - I just started experiencing my own personal summers and having a fan that fits in my purse is great.

Another item I purchased in anticipation of our cruise is the magnetic hooks. Does anyone know if the stateroom walls on the Legend are magnetic? I’ll find a use for the hooks around the house regardless, but I don’t want to pack something we won’t be able to use.

Thanks!

I have 2 food hacks,

In the MDR, I often order a banana split, it is small (from the kids menu) but just enough of a treat and

My DIL would grab a box of fruity cereal at breakfast that she would later use to top her ice cream

On 5/11/2019 at 8:18 PM, SRQbeachgirl said:

When we cruise with our son (who is now 20), we bring some magnet hooks and a shower curtain to hang between the closet area and the rest of the cabin. It allows privacy to change clothes and makes it possible to open the bathroom door after showering, so we're not trapped in a steamy bathroom.

That's a great idea when there's multiple people, especially since it's no fun getting ready in a steamy bathroom. Just need to make sure another person from the cabin doesn't walk in the main door while you're standing there in the buff. 😲 😉

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 11:09 AM, pyropoodle said:

I was hoping someone would answer this question because I honestly do not know.   it's kind of a locker room situation (at least on the ships I've been on, so can't speak to newer ships at all), so not sure I'd feel comfortable completely doing all hair and make up in there, plus, it's steamy.  I'd just towel my head up and roll back to the room to do the final fixin's, but maybe someone can clear this up for you.

There is 1 plug in most cabins and sometimes 1 in the bathroom. You need a power strip of some sort without surge protection. 

On 5/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, Organized Chaos said:

You keep arguing that there's no need for them to save electricity. So tell us, why did they introduce such a unique electrical system in the cabins that disables everything without a card in the switch's slot?

To save LIGHT BULBS.