Deck 2 Jewel of the Seas

Beaferd

Sailing March 2019 to Panama Canal on Jewel.  Got my guaranteed ocean view room and it is 2028 right next to the elevators. Never had a cabin on deck two so would like some input as to noise, what type of window, movement of ship, etc. Not a fan of our assignment but haven't been able to change.

As I recall from sailing on Radiance, deck 2 is the lowest passenger deck and is also home to the medical center. I do not remember there being many cabins on that level. The only thing that stands out in my mind was the very visible watertight doors on that level. 

Just got off 12 nights on the Jewel, looking at my photos of the ship, deck 2 windows are pretty small - smaller than the deck 3 & 4 windows.

Deck 2 is where we embarked/disembarked at every port except 1, RCI shore excursions used the stairs by the Coral theater to walk down to deck 2 for disembarking most days.

Cabins on deck 2 on the Radiance class ship have small portholes not the large round windows found on deck 3 or all of the ocean view cabins on Voyager / Freedom / Oasis class ships. The portholes let in light but don't plan on looking out of them to see much.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Cabins on deck 2 on the Radiance class ship have small portholes not the large round windows found on deck 3 or all of the ocean view cabins on Voyager / Freedom / Oasis class ships. The portholes let in light but don't plan on looking out of them to see much.

Sounds like a peephole. :classic_smile:

Deck 2 is great when you come back to the ship in port. You don’t need to take an elevator to get to your cabin. Portholes don’t bother me. I recommend staying in your room during passing through a lock as you will see all kinds of carvings in the lock wall, put there presumably when the locks were built.

• Thanks 1

Yes it is a bummer. Just never expected Deck 2.  Will not do this again. 😩

Have resigned myself to our room assignment and will make the best of it.  Looking forward to the cruise and all the new things we will see.  Not long now.

23 hours ago, Beaferd said:

When you book a GTY, look at the inventory (use RCI's UK site) - that may give an idea of optional changes after assignment. Most of the time, there are other cabins to move to.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:33 AM, Beaferd said:

Have resigned myself to our room assignment and will make the best of it.  Looking forward to the cruise and all the new things we will see.  Not long now.

Sounds like you have the right attuited.  A port hole would be better than no porthole.  At least you have a view.  Enjoy your cruise. The Jewel is a favorite of ours. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

When you book a GTY, look at the inventory (use RCI's UK site) - that may give an idea of optional changes after assignment. Most of the time, there are other cabins to move to.

No cabins in any category are currently available on the Jewel March 13/19 PC cruise at this time but keep checking as one could become available. We've had this happen with quite a few of our guaranties.

We have friends cruising with us on the Serenade this month and they got a deck 2 OV cabin assigned to their guaranty booking but were able change their cabin to a same category deck 3 cabin that was available. 

Edited by robtulipe

I have been in porthole room on the Marco Polo when she sailed for Orient Lines. My first cruise and almost my last (but the porthole had nothing to do with that!).

Your room does have a loveseat and some sort of desk. Just map out the public spaces you will spend your time in! you're "Elevator close" to Lobby Bar (2 decks), Cafe Lattetudes (3 decks), Schooner Bar and Vintages (4 decks) and go on up and emerge between the main pool and Windjammers.

Jewel of the Seas is a great ship for GTY balcony cabins because they don't have any obstructed cabins.  I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise, so many places to go and great things to do on the ship.  Enjoy your wonderful Panama Canal cruise.

• 1 month later...

Spoke with RC about available OV guaranteed room and was told they cannot tell me where available rooms are located. Also was told I would have to go back into the guaranteed pool and would have to pay the prevailing rates which are considerably more expensive than what I am currently booked at. So much for checking ever now and then.

10 hours ago, Beaferd said:

Also was told I would have to go back into the guaranteed pool and would have to pay the prevailing rates which are considerably more expensive than what I am currently booked at. 

I would call back as that sounds bogus, requesting to go back into the GTY pool should have no cost.