Sometimes it's the little things

cinesage

... you miss, from your cruise, after you've returned home.

Sure, cruising includes many obvious highlights - views from the ship, ports of call, excursions, entertainment, food, and service etc. - which are different from one's normal daily life, and one can quite naturally experience a melancholy when it's over.  It can even start to creep into the last day or night of the cruise, especially when one has to pack and/or contemplates the trip home (to reality).  This is a topic of its own, to be sure.

After returning from our most recent (and longest) cruise, I've also found that there are little things about the daily cruising experience which I also (strangely?) miss.  I won't count disconnecting from "the world" (one's job, the news, etc.), because I think most people do this (at least to some extent) on their vacations already.  In fact, I frequently 'fast' from the news when at home also (it's quite freeing, even healthy).  I also don't count taking a nap in the middle of the afternoon, because I do this at home, sometimes;-)

The little thing I miss the most is watching the ship's position channel.  It features a live camera shot overlooking the bow, then cuts to a world map graphic with a (directional) pinpoint representing the ship, followed by subsequently "zoomed in" and more focused maps indicating where the ship is and its path, before it cycles back through the same sequence again.  The live shot - which is sometimes a great view! - includes information about the ship's GPS position, its heading and speed.  My spouse says that I'm obsessed with this, and perhaps I am.  Neither of us watch any of the other channels except the ship's own programming:  daily highlights from the cruise director, schedule of activities, shore excursion overviews, and taped repeats of the entertainment.

Another little thing I miss is this - https://youtu.be/48etEql31D4 - not so much for the video, but I can't get the song out of my head (you're welcome;-)

What are some of the little things you miss from cruising once you're back home?

I look forward to being able to take advantage of the gym on a daily basis.  At home, one thing or another seems to come up and cause missed workouts.  

I miss the dining venues and choices.  

I don't watch too much TV at home.  On our last cruise I don't think the TV was turned on even once.

It’s tough if it has to be different than things I like about vacation in general. However, I would have to say the amount of downtime a cruise provides.  Not all vacations free one up from grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.    Cruising with our kids doubles this fun because we have long dinners (compared to our normal dinner times) where we aren’t on our phones making plans for later, catching up with friends etc.   And after dinner or any meal we all get to walk away without doing any work and move onto the next fun activity. 

• Like 1

I miss people watching.  At home I pretty much see the same people day after day.  Also miss being able to take an afternoon nap, something I can only do on weekends.  Love meeting new people on cruises as well, some of whom have become great friends.

• Like 3

I miss sitting on the balcony just watching the water go by.  Also the sunsets and sunrises you can see.  I also agree with cindivan, it is just nice to eat a fun dinner with the family, take as long as you want and then just get up and leave the dishes behind.

• Like 3

Oh the list I could make.....  but I think over all I miss saying I want this or that on a menu r a drink and if it isn't great I can re-choose.  Or the ordering of a drink and no bill ( we get the drink package).  Missed that the most on  the day after our last NCL cruise 

At home, DH looks at port webcams on a regular basis.  I read CC posts.  And we both browse our TA's website and think of cruises we might do next.

If we are really aching to be "asea", I turn on both the washer and dryer, maybe even try to get a little extra vibration going, and have a coffee in the room above the laundry.

Nothing comes close to being there, though.

• Like 1

I miss the joy of minimalist travel.

Whether traveling for a week or a month, we are efficient, light packers and probably bring less than any other passengers. I love "less is more" travel experiences and always come away from them inspired to further simplify my life.

Edited by Bookish Angel

14 hours ago, Bookish Angel said:

I miss the joy of minimalist travel.

Whether traveling for a week or a month, we are efficient, light packers and probably bring less than any other passengers. I love "less is more" travel experiences and always come away from them inspired to further simplify my life.

I use a 21 inch roll on and a small tote but am starting to wonder if I could get away with those underseat  roll Ons and a tote. Lol. 

I hate when im randomly picked for gate checking my non bulging 21 inch roll on when others roll right on. Lol

bad luck of the draw I guess and yes I book zone 6/7 tickets. Lol 

Something I miss that I've noticed on basically all our cruises regardless of if it's just me and spouse or me and some of the young adult kids or all of us together...and this is for our land trips too...2 day overnights to Disney to 14 days in a beach house.....

we never fight and all get along famously and it's great 

when the real world rears its ugly head not so much. Lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crusin6 said:

I hate when im randomly picked for gate checking my non bulging 21 inch roll on when others roll right on.

Oh, same here!  It is especially irksome on tight connections.

I do the non-bulging 21 inch and a smallish backpack that doubles as a footrest on planes - I am short so without the footrest, my back kills me. The backpack allows my hands to be free and serves as a day pack in ports.

Napping in a chair by the pool or on the balcony, feeling the ocean breeze and seeing the colors of the water, people watching, shopping, coffee in bed, no dishes to do or dinners to cook; someone else making my bed and cleaning my room. Not carrying a purse :). Quality time with my hubby. SO much more I miss.

Edited by CapeGal
  • Like 3