Can we carry on our luggage

42 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

As long as it fits through the security scanners, yes.

Our suitcases are 21" and 25". 

Twice, this year, they have broken the top handle on my suitcase. First time it was boarding so they fixed it, second time it was disembarking, it was completely torn off. Twice they have broken the wheels on my DH's suitcases. I just bought new suitcases so if we have the option, we will do it. Unlike no option on the airlines, but so far we have not had any problems there, it has always been on the cruises. 

I recently tried carrying luggage at the cruise port in Boston and I was told only small bags were allowed. It had to fit the size of small airline carry-on. They had a porter there ready to take my bags for ship check in. Luckily I had the ship bag tags already attached.

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

The issue is if everyone would do it it would be a mass in the terminal and on the ship. Similar to self-help debarkation now done by more and more people especially in America and by people with mobility issues and several big bags.

I don't see self-help debarkation as a problem. I'v been doing it for years.:classic_huh:

We carry on/off every cruise. After the first time, you will look at what you didn’t use. So use this as an opportunity to pack lighter. 

Also, it’s helpful to arrive on the ship right around 1pm so that you can go to your cabin and drop off all of your stuff. 

In my last two cruises, I have cut back and do nothing but Carry on. It is so much easier then trying to find your luggage at the end of your cruise which is in the back of probably 200 others then getting it out. I will do a lot of mix n matching so get multiple changes. As previously mentioned your luggage needs to fit through the scanners .

We carry on when allowed.  For sure you can do it in many USA ports.  It depends on the size of the security scanners.

You have to be able to lift your big bag up to get it on the belt.  We like to have everything with us so that we

can wipe down the cabin and put stuff away right after we board.  There is sometimes a wait for the elevators but

it is worth it to know that all your bags are safely on the ship.  One tip is to board later so that cabins are open (1:00ish)

and you can get rid of the luggage ASAP with only have one elevator ride.  You have had to drag bags through hotels

and airports so why tips someone to take them on the ship.  All that said, we only take one medium roller bag each and

we are in good physical shape so we can handle the walk on and walk off easily. 

I do wonder why people with many, many huge bags and mobility issues consider walking off like over loaded pack mules.

I am not putting down seniors, I am over seventy but I can keep up with the flow on traffic without delaying others.

I think you should try walking on,  do tag your luggage in case they don't allow it.

5 hours ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

I don't see self-help debarkation as a problem. I'v been doing it for years.:classic_huh:

In Boston and Bayonne we stood in line for over an hour as everyone tried to get out wth all luggage. The line started at 6 am even before the ship docked and went through two decks from bow to stern...

In Miami there is a sign saying no large bags permitted in the terminal all large bags must be given to the porters.  In Vancouver they even unload your bags from. The car for you only if you are on a 1 night cruise do they allow large bags to be carried on and I saw people putting TVs and toasters thru the scanners which are big enough to handle checked luggage. It is a  A nuisance to inspect a checked bag at the checkpoint . That is why they likely don’t allow large bags to be carried on

24 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

In Boston and Bayonne we stood in line for over an hour as everyone tried to get out wth all luggage. The line started at 6 am even before the ship docked and went through two decks from bow to stern...

Thats because everyones in a hurry to get of the ship. I always have a good breakfast and wait until at lease 8 am to get off.

I always carry my own luggage off the ship I lost my luggage once it took them a week to get it back I was happy of the outcome but I dont want to experience that anymore for boarding I still haven't figure out a way to carry my own luggage unless I put everything in 2 carry-on which I m not really interested in doing 

I pack 2 weeks in my 22 " Spinner Delsey. I will plan my evening clothes for 1 week and mix n match so I have multiple changes. I try and not take more then 2 to 3 pair of evening shoes to go with the outfits. I pack my day clothes in the same manner. I have my toiletries and misc items. I also use packing cubes as much as possible. 

15 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

That has nothing to do with luggage and everything to do with the number of Customs agents available.  

If you're trying to get 2000-6000 people through six lanes of Customs agents, you're gonna have a line whether people have their luggage or not.  

Our worst disembark, was following our TA, We had a post cruise Tour and met in the Schooner bar to go off around 8:30. We finally were called at 10:30  but spent the next hour working our way through the line that was backed up through the ship All this because of Customs. Husband got scanned at the door way & I spent another 30 minutes waiting for another bunch to be cleared from the ship. We missed the tour. Needless to say people were still getting off the ship after 12 noon. Fortunately we had a 3 PM flight but extra buses were called in to get those 200 passengers waiting for their post cruise tours, to the airport. 

Just a reminder (not to the O.P who is a cruise veteran) to those who may want to carry on all their bags.  You can't just "run back to your cabin and drop off your bags" before the cabins are ready.  You must keep them all with you until the cabins are open.  I have a habit of sitting in the library while I wait and there's always a group or two with a large number of bags who are extremely upset with the crew member guarding the doors because a) they are not allowed back and what are they going to do with all that luggage and b) because the crew member won't "watch their luggage for them" until the cabins are ready.

19 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I pack 2 weeks in my 22 " Spinner Delsey. I will plan my evening clothes for 1 week and mix n match so I have multiple changes. I try and not take more then 2 to 3 pair of evening shoes to go with the outfits. I pack my day clothes in the same manner. I have my toiletries and misc items. I also use packing cubes as much as possible. 

You are my hero, I've been wanting to pack that way but always end up with another suitcase besides a carry on. I would love to see a detailed list of what you take and how you pack. Rolled up shirts?

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

That has nothing to do with luggage and everything to do with the number of Customs agents available.  

If you're trying to get 2000-6000 people through six lanes of Customs agents, you're gonna have a line whether people have their luggage or not.  

It also has something to do with more and more people trying to get off early with self help and not waiting for a later time with luggage service.

I can relate to this.  After having a cruise line ruin my favorite suitcase. I don't want to give them another chance to ruin more. Unfortunately it happened to me at disembarking, and I didn't see it till I got home, so the cruise line, or the insurance that I had, did not cover it. 

I learned that you must report the damage to someone at the pier immediately. (yes- the fine print)   It was just a little spot on the bottom where the zipper wire was pulled out into a tiny wire loop and I didn't see this until I got the luggage home and tried to unzip it. I called cruise line and insurance as soon as I saw it, no more than two hours after walking off the ship, but they said it was too late because I didn't show it to someone at the pier.  It could not be fixed.

Lesson learned.  I went out and bought the cheapest luggage I could find, and only use that if I am cruising or flying.  I only take my good luggage if I can carry on and off.   Not that I want to LUG the luggage.  I just want to ensure that it will not be damaged.