Drinks packages significant change - less value :(

adelaidefc

I am attempting to shut everything out, Brexit and drinks packages!

I am prioritizing finishing work, doing the Christmas decorations and preparing our packing.

Most importantly, I have a cruise to go on.....assuming I'm still allowed over the border to Dublin to get my flight :classic_blink:

And I hope there are at least some drinks available, after all of this as I need one!

Edited by CruisingFox27

On 11/14/2018 at 10:10 AM, adelaidefc said:

They emailed back saying they could apply the old All inclusive classic drinks package at the old price if I wanted, given I'd booked before the changes (even though I'd not yet bought the package I fully intended to). I said this would be fine as long as long as I could get in writing all the original inclusions would remain. 

I asked the same and got this back:

"I have looked into this for you and unfortunately we're not able add the old Drinks Package onto your booking as it is no longer available. Please look below for the full description of our new drinks packages."

I was about to book the deluxe package yesterday and discovered the changes, I have only held out as I an over a year away, wish I had just booked now.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2590653-adding-drinks-package-payment/

Drink Package (FREE) - I just booked a fantastic room sailing in May 2019 that included a drinking package. The cruise is 7 nights 8 days and it said it retailed for $250.00 but included alcohol as well as non-alcoholic beverages. Does anyone have any insight on the perk offered? I feel like we got a steal paying only $791.00 each for a fantastic ocean view room which not only included the drinking package but also came with $50 onboard credit and a $50 excursion voucher. Thanks in advance!

xo Rocco

9 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I asked the same and got this back:

"I have looked into this for you and unfortunately we're not able add the old Drinks Package onto your booking as it is no longer available. Please look below for the full description of our new drinks packages."

I was about to book the deluxe package yesterday and discovered the changes, I have only held out as I an over a year away, wish I had just booked now.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2590653-adding-drinks-package-payment/

Hi ziggyuk, 

If you're willing to argue your case with them you might have bit of luck. I just received a revised invoice this morning that included the premium plus and kids package and the cost of the old classic inclusive package. Sure there'll be no free icecream, but the free minibar/room service and pretty much all of the drinks onboard makes up for it I reckon. 

7 hours ago, adelaidefc said:

Hi ziggyuk, 

If you're willing to argue your case with them you might have bit of luck. I just received a revised invoice this morning that included the premium plus and kids package and the cost of the old classic inclusive package. Sure there'll be no free icecream, but the free minibar/room service and pretty much all of the drinks onboard makes up for it I reckon. 

How did you get this added, were you just persistent? was it also by email or did you call them.

I did replied to them by email immediately and have directed them to this forum to see what effect they have had on customers.

As far as I am concerned this was an extremely badly thought out marketing exercise that has caused a massive drop in customer perception and satisfaction.

Very polite but insistent emails noting Australian consumer Law, so your mileage may vary. 

I admit I was very reluctant to mention it on this forum as I'm worried they'll take it away and change their mind before I get a change to pay for it (website is buggy and the call centre is closed for the weekend)

That said, their prompt response to my complaint and upgrading of the package has made an irate customer into a very satisfied one. So hopefully they don't reverse that and realise that sometimes a good response to an adverse situation can be as beneficial to brand image as not having the adverse situation in the first place.

On 11/14/2018 at 10:29 AM, CruisingFox27 said:

We have never had an issue ordering more than one drink, sitting as a couple we'd obviously order 2  but would also order 2 each, a coffee and water or a beer and water. I think it states one drink each but common sense is applied so you can get a beer and water etc. If you were ordering 4 cocktails each I suspect they'd take a different view.

They're pretty happy with 2 alcoholic drinks for 1 person too e.g. a beer and a whisky. Although that's because it's a pretty common pairing I'd say - suspect you are right about 2 cocktails each!

21 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I am attempting to shut everything out, Brexit and drinks packages!

I am prioritizing finishing work, doing the Christmas decorations and preparing our packing.

Most importantly, I have a cruise to go on.....assuming I'm still allowed over the border to Dublin to get my flight :classic_blink:

And I hope there are at least some drinks available, after all of this as I need one!

Have a great time - and a stiff drink! 🙂

• Like 2

Just a quick follow up after our mini cruise. Literally just after we boarded, one of an army of crew members asked if we had received any info about the drinks package. I said no to prompt him to explain the package. He then described the "old" €26 all inclusive package. We bought it and the crew member put a sticker with "431" written on it onto our cruise card. A travel agent friend says 431 is the MSC code for the old drinks package. 

So, good news, we had the old package. All of the information on board was describing the old package including all the drinks menus. I wonder if it's a temporary reprieve for the old package or if MSC has cancelled the change. Cocktails were €7 so would be outside the scope of the newer package unless you opted for the expensive one.

Overall, great cruise. However...

MSC for Me app worked about twice the whole cruise. Completely useless. The Zip Line was never running so that was a shame.

Check out was farcical. Huge queues at reception but it was the only way to get an itemised bill. 

The shows were great. Well worth booking (free).

Will we cruise again? Probably at the right price. But remain wary of MSC much like Ryanair.

2 hours ago, sidari said:

Wagster ... Good to hear, the change has happened in the USA with one CC member so having having an issue with the Classic package, one person on Meraviglia says that their package is being honoured.

Seems the information is filtering through now, as in the absence of any real definitive clarity from MSC it is members aboard now & going aboard soon that will surely have the key information.

On 11/16/2018 at 8:38 AM, adelaidefc said:

Very polite but insistent emails noting Australian consumer Law, so your mileage may vary. 

I admit I was very reluctant to mention it on this forum as I'm worried they'll take it away and change their mind before I get a change to pay for it (website is buggy and the call centre is closed for the weekend)

That said, their prompt response to my complaint and upgrading of the package has made an irate customer into a very satisfied one. So hopefully they don't reverse that and realise that sometimes a good response to an adverse situation can be as beneficial to brand image as not having the adverse situation in the first place.

Have you managed to book a package at the old price?  or the upgraded package for the easy price?

Seems like MSC is up to it's usual tricks. They tell you one thing but you get what THEY decide to give you. Was on a my first cruise with them in Jan. and spent more time at GS desk arguing with them than in all the 30+ cruises I have taken with other lines. Don't know why anyone would bother with them. I go on a cruise to relax,  not to spend my time at GS and constantly be called a liar.

On 11/20/2018 at 4:04 AM, glittergal1 said:

Have you managed to book a package at the old price?  or the upgraded package for the easy price?

I received the upgraded package (premium plus) at the old price, an outcome I was very satisfied with. 

14 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

I received the upgraded package (premium plus) at the old price, an outcome I was very satisfied with. 

Which old price, there wasn't one?  At the old Deluxe price?  So basically you got the AUD equivalent of the USD 79pp/pd Premium Plus for the old USD 55pp/pd Deluxe cost?

Sorry should've been more clear, from my earlier post:

On 11/16/2018 at 11:23 AM, adelaidefc said:

received a revised invoice this morning that included the premium plus and kids package and the cost of the old classic inclusive package. Sure there'll be no free icecream, but the free minibar/room service and pretty much all of the drinks onboard makes up for it I reckon

I'm on a Mediterranean cruise so the old classic inclusive was $39pp AUD (about USD$28) so you can see why I'm quite pleased with getting premium plus for that. 🙂

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have talked to 5 reps for MSC and got 5 different answers about the drink package. I have aurea and classic drink package some say I have the easy package and some say I have premium package 2 supervisors said I have premium plus package but none will put it in writing. Any suggestions