Argentine Pesos

mfabz

Heading to South America in January.  Would like to purchase Argentine pesos prior to departure.  I have contacted many banks, TravelEX, AAA -- none deal with Argentine pesos.  I understand completely that there are economic problems.  

Please share your experience in purchasing these pesos.  Can you obtain them in the Buenos Aires airport, ATM, bank, hotel?

Thank you for your reply.

I asked some folk in BA who reported the exchange rate is currently 35 pesos to the US dollar. Another commented - But the problem with getting cash is the limit of 4-5000 pesos and the fees at this end 215-360 pesos depending on the bank. You can make multiple withdrawals but the fees are so high you lose 10% when you factor in the USA bank charges! 

There are more comments on the thread "Effect of the Argentinian Economic Crisis on Cruises?" 

Personally I would bring US dollars and a couple of credit and debit cards ( folk here said stores would not take a credit card) and either go to a Cambio to change a small amount to Argentine pesos or try an ATM. Most places will take USD but give pesos as change. You should have no problems with credit cards in other countries down here. We use our Canadian credit cards all the time but our US debit cards don't work!

I have been told by a family member who lives in Buenos Aries for almost 5 years now – that he has never exchanged money in a bank – always in Casa De Cambios  for the best rate.. Especially if they are large bills.  (Bring only new untorn/unfolded bills)

Right now it is around 40  - So  $100.00 USD would equal 4,000 AR Pesos

Here is a Trip advisor post from this year basically saying the same…... 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k11258410-Casas_de_cambio-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

I also was unable to obtain Argentine Pesos prior to my departure from home.  I found what gift shops I visited would not take credit cards or traveler's checks (not surprised with that refusal in 2018).  US dollars were accepted.  I bought some post cards for a reasonable price and asked to buy postage to send them.  The price for the postage exceeded by a large margin the cost of the post cards!  Our next port was Montevideo and mailed them there much more inexpensively.

This is very helpful as we are leaving in December. Luneberg did you use your Canadian credit cards but a debit card was a US one?

We have both US and Canadian credit cards.

Does anyone know if they take Amex anywhere?

I would 2nd just having USD (I realize the OP in Canadian) we used it everywhere.  We were cautioned that if we were to get Peso's we would have problems changing it back.  We never ran into anyone who wouldn't take dollars.  

We were on Cunard and there were many nationalities aboard, mostly British, many Canadians and I didn't hear of anyone having problems with non-US cards (don't know about Amex though).

A wonder if the OP is like us, we live in New Hampshire so we keep Canadian currency in our safe at all times...you never know when you're going to take a trip up north...same true in Toronto with USD?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Trend said:

This is very helpful as we are leaving in December. Luneberg did you use your Canadian credit cards but a debit card was a US one?

We have both US and Canadian credit cards.

Does anyone know if they take Amex anywhere?

Yes, we use Canadian credit cards- Visa is slightly preferred, for example our vet here only takes Visa and we have found that in a few other stores but most places also take Mastercard. Not sure about Amex but have not really looked. We were in a store here the other day and they are still using the old paper credit card payment slips!

We have tried our US debit card ( Harris Bank which is now owned by Bank of Montreal) here in Uruguay and in Brazil and Argentina - no luck. We have called Harris several times who say our cards are not blocked and the problem is not their end. We can use them to make online purchases but for some reason not at an ATM, restaurant or store. Hopefully you will have better luck.

On 11/13/2018 at 4:52 PM, rkacruiser said:

I also was unable to obtain Argentine Pesos prior to my departure from home.  I found what gift shops I visited would not take credit cards or traveler's checks (not surprised with that refusal in 2018).  US dollars were accepted.  I bought some post cards for a reasonable price and asked to buy postage to send them.  The price for the postage exceeded by a large margin the cost of the post cards!  Our next port was Montevideo and mailed them there much more inexpensively.

How did you know you were getting a fair price using USD? Did you keep up with the exchange rate on a daily basis? We are prepaid for some of our tours, & our BA apartment, but will be dining out for the 3 days prior to our cruise.  Hopefully restaurants will take credit cards as the less cash we need to carry with us, the better!

22 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

How did you know you were getting a fair price using USD? Did you keep up with the exchange rate on a daily basis? We are prepaid for some of our tours, & our BA apartment, but will be dining out for the 3 days prior to our cruise.  Hopefully restaurants will take credit cards as the less cash we need to carry with us, the better!

Keeping up with the daily exchange rate?  No.  Before departure for the cruise, I had a general idea of what the rate was.  I bought nothing in Argentina other than post cards and the price for those was acceptable.  I had planned to try to buy one or two leather items, but the tours I took offered very little time for shopping.  I simply thought:  "Forget it."  Argentina:  you don't want my credit cards or traveler's checks, you make it impossible to obtain currency, I am not going to enrich your economy anymore than I have done.

Edited by rkacruiser

We will be staying in BA a few day before going onto Ushuaia in January. Will we be able to pay for a taxi to our hotel with US money? Or do the taxi's take credit cards? Looking forward to our visit.

Thanks, Kathy

8 hours ago, kathy9 said:

We will be staying in BA a few day before going onto Ushuaia in January. Will we be able to pay for a taxi to our hotel with US money? Or do the taxi's take credit cards? Looking forward to our visit.

Thanks, Kathy

If you are arriving at the airport EZE there is an official taxi stand in the airport. You can pay in advance with USD, not sure if they take credit cards there.

http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/eng

15 hours ago, Lunenburg said:

If you are arriving at the airport EZE there is an official taxi stand in the airport. You can pay in advance with USD, not sure if they take credit cards there.

http://www.taxiezeiza.com.ar/eng 

Thanks Lunenburg!

Yes we are flying into EZE from MIA. I will check out the website.

Kathy

13 hours ago, jdechter said:

should we get some local currency in advance, yes or no??

We did.  I was wary about arriving with no currency since our first stop was Ushuaia, and I had read that the ATMs there were often low on cash.  Turns out, they were well-stocked.  The problem is that no banks in the US offer Argentine Pesos, so your only option ahead of time is to purchase at a currency exchange in your local airport, which has lousy rates as well as fees attached.  We bought a minimal amount ($150 US, IIRC) , planning to supplement with ATM withdrawals as needed.

• 3 weeks later...

We used an ATM at the airport. Also exchanged some money at the hotel.  Restaurants would prefer to take cash and will take USD with a not bad exchange rate.  USD bills can be folded but otherwise must be in clean and unmarked condition. In the tourist areas you'll see men saying "cambio, cambio" they are trying to get you to change money with them. Don't! Find a legit currency exchange (you'll need your passport) or ATM. Buenos Aires is a lovely city and well worth exploring on foot.  We felt safe but we also kept aware of our surroundings. If you have time take the tour at the Teatro Colon.  They offer them in English at specific times of the day.  Tickets can be purchased with a credit card.  Hop-on-Hop-Off bus only takes cash at their main office.  Also on Saturday or Sunday the Casa Rosada is open to the public (free entry). Tours were in Spanish but we were able to walk around and enjoy the beauty of the building.

5 hours ago, Trend said:

We were just told by The Four Season Hotel that the hotels are not aloud to exchange money in Argentina.

Is this a new policy?  The reason for the question is that I’m trying to get an idea of the currency crunch as it is currently and how difficult exchange may be.  People reporting what they did last year might not be relevant.  

Those taking the earlier cruises this season, please come back to the board and report back any unusual difficulties. Trend, if you are feet on the ground in BA right now, I would really appreciate your take on the exchange situation. Thanks.  

Note: I had thought to exchange at the hotel as a last resort, if things were difficult.  But, if the Four Seasons isn’t exchanging at any rate, things must be very difficult.

Edited by buggins0402

Why  would anyone change money at a hotel   when the rates are going to be terrible?   Since you're ok with accepting these bad exchanges,    then just go to the walk up money changers  at the airport and get your pesos there.    

On 11/15/2018 at 4:19 AM, kathy9 said:

Thanks, Kathy

I have used the taxi dispatcher,  mentioned from  EZE.   Yes they do take credit cards.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

Why  would anyone change money at a hotel   when the rates are going to be terrible?   Since you're ok with accepting these bad exchanges,    then just go to the walk up money changers  at the airport and get your pesos there.    

Plan Z if currency controls go nuclear.  We won’t be at the airport, prior to BA.  Plan A is walking up to a ATM in Ushuaia.😁