Greenwich, London cruise terminal - plans cancelled

excitedofharpenden

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I think this was probably a foregone conclusion, but the plan to develop a cruise terminal in Greenwich has been shelved:

http://cruise-adviser.com/greenwich-cruise-terminal-canned/

Phil

Not being familiar at all with the area/facility, will this mean that cruises presently scheduled to utilize Greenwich be sent to another port?

Yes, I think it was a foregone conclusion, Phil. I hope that small ships can continue with the present arrangements at Greenwich, although not perfect. It would be lovely if small ships, like Azamara's, could once again dock by Tower Bridge. According to Captain Tysse, the only reason that this is currently not happening is because the Port of London Authority have removed the heavy duty buoys.

Lynne 

Just now, Literary Lynne said:

Yes, I think it was a foregone conclusion, Phil. I hope that small ships can continue with the present arrangements at Greenwich, although not perfect. It would be lovely if small ships, like Azamara's, could once again dock by Tower Bridge. According to Captain Tysse, the only reason that this is currently not happening is because the Port of London Authority have removed the heavy duty buoys.

Lynne 

Yes Lynne.  They took them out, said they would be putting them back, but never did.  There doesn’t seem to be much of an appetite for extending cruise ship visits in London except the cruise ship terminal at Tilbury which is 25 miles from the centre.

1 hour ago, nordski said:

Not being familiar at all with the area/facility, will this mean that cruises presently scheduled to utilize Greenwich be sent to another port?

To be honest, I’m not sure.  Housing development side by side with Greenwich?  I guess it will take a while to pan out.

Phil

44 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

To be honest, I’m not sure.  Housing development side by side with Greenwich?  I guess it will take a while to pan out.

Phil

Thanks for the reply.

We can hope that we will dock there this summer, but clearly, based upon some of the comments on the story you posted, some of the locals are opposed to that. And that is understandable.

6 minutes ago, nordski said:

Thanks for the reply.

We can hope that we will dock there this summer, but clearly, based upon some of the comments on the story you posted, some of the locals are opposed to that. And that is understandable.

Funnily enough, just after I posted this I was watching the local London news where there was a discussion about this and how much opposition there had been from local residents because of the amount of pollutants cruise ships put out whilst in port and running systems for hotel operations.  

Phil

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Funnily enough, just after I posted this I was watching the local London news where there was a discussion about this and how much opposition there had been from local residents because of the amount of pollutants cruise ships put out whilst in port and running systems for hotel operations.  

Phil

Really appreciate your posts, especially on this matter.

May I ask another question?

Is the practical alternative to Greenwich, Tilbury?

Has Tilbury been used as a port for cruise ships?

The Port of London Authority website is very clear that the maximum length of cruise ships allowed at the Tower Bridge Mooring is 158 metres.  I understand Azamara's ships are 182 metres.  This regulation has been in force for some years and was certainly applicable earlier this year when Azamara were advertising a cruise starting at Tower Bridge which of course did not happen.

The Greenwich Ship Tier (mooring) can take ships up to 228 metres and that means the Viking ships can just fit as their published length is 228.

The Terminal was meant to be built in an area that has yet to be developed about half a mile down river nearer to the 02 but vehement local opposition combined with the costs associated with providing the correct clean electricity supply have meant that the developer has pulled out.  Cynically I would also say that this is one of the last remaining areas where new flats and apartments can be build along this stretch of the Thames and I would assume would provide a quicker profit for a developer.

The current mooring is very close to the centre of Greenwich and Viking especially use it on a regular basis.  After some initial hiccups they seem to have it down to a fine art now.  It is a really lovely place to start or finish a cruise and there are no plans that I know of to discontinue its use.  We also see the odd other cruise line, but not on a regular basis.

Tilbury is rather grim, and 25 miles away from central London,  given any choice then Greenwich is much more preferable.  Boarding does involve a very short tender ride (they use the river boat shuttles) but you are right in the heart of Greenwich with easy access to central London.

We have a home in Greenwich so I do have some local knowledge.

4 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

The Port of London Authority website is very clear that the maximum length of cruise ships allowed at the Tower Bridge Mooring is 158 metres.  I understand Azamara's ships are 182 metres.  This regulation has been in force for some years and was certainly applicable earlier this year when Azamara were advertising a cruise starting at Tower Bridge which of course did not happen.

The Greenwich Ship Tier (mooring) can take ships up to 228 metres and that means the Viking ships can just fit as their published length is 228.

The Terminal was meant to be built in an area that has yet to be developed about half a mile down river nearer to the 02 but vehement local opposition combined with the costs associated with providing the correct clean electricity supply have meant that the developer has pulled out.  Cynically I would also say that this is one of the last remaining areas where new flats and apartments can be build along this stretch of the Thames and I would assume would provide a quicker profit for a developer.

The current mooring is very close to the centre of Greenwich and Viking especially use it on a regular basis.  After some initial hiccups they seem to have it down to a fine art now.  It is a really lovely place to start or finish a cruise and there are no plans that I know of to discontinue its use.  We also see the odd other cruise line, but not on a regular basis.

Tilbury is rather grim, and 25 miles away from central London,  given any choice then Greenwich is much more preferable.  Boarding does involve a very short tender ride (they use the river boat shuttles) but you are right in the heart of Greenwich with easy access to central London.

We have a home in Greenwich so I do have some local knowledge.

Thanks so much for these details.

We will hope that  Greenwich remains viable.

Pam, I thought of you when I saw this and knew you'd add a bit more meat to the bone!  I realise the length limitation in force now, but that is only because they took the mooring buoys out and didn't put them back. Given the anti-cruise ship sentiment it's doubtful they'll be returned. Azamara using the old buoys:

Phil 

DF75A6C6-6F2E-432F-8C82-39A9D8E374BD.jpeg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nordski said:

Thanks for the reply.

No I dont think there is any opposition locally to the current fairly low level of cruise ships in Greenwich.  The opposition was to the building of a permanent Cruise Terminal Building which would have encouraged more cruise ships into Greenwich.  The main problem being vastly increased air pollution.

There was some disquiet on this board a couple of months ago because a promised disembarkation and embarkation at Greenwich had been changed to Southampton.  I think this was on August/Sept 2019 cruise.  However the passengers had been told about it already and the explanation from Azamara was that a competitor had been awarded the berth.

The website is still showing Greenwich for the June 19 cruise so perhaps you will be OK.  

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

No I dont think there is any opposition locally to the current fairly low level of cruise ships in Greenwich.  The opposition was to the building of a permanent Cruise Terminal Building which would have encouraged more cruise ships into Greenwich.  The main problem being vastly increased air pollution.

There was some disquiet on this board a couple of months ago because a promised disembarkation and embarkation at Greenwich had been changed to Southampton.  I think this was on August/Sept 2019 cruise.  However the passengers had been told about it already and the explanation from Azamara was that a competitor had been awarded the berth.

The website is still showing Greenwich for the June 19 cruise so perhaps you will be OK.  

Really appreciate your insights on this matter.

One of the attractions of the cruise was a sail up the Thames and the subsequent visit to Greenwich.

However, we all realize that itineraries may change.

Very doubtful on summer 2019 for Greenwich.  We’re booked on Irish Seas 7/17/19 and were originally to end in Greenwich but months ago were notified it’s going to be Southampton instead.  We were very disappointed as we were looking forward to being closer to London and it will be our third time now disembarking in Southampton.

1 hour ago, AllisonJames said:

Very doubtful on summer 2019 for Greenwich.  We’re booked on Irish Seas 7/17/19 and were originally to end in Greenwich but months ago were notified it’s going to be Southampton instead.  We were very disappointed as we were looking forward to being closer to London and it will be our third time now disembarking in Southampton.

Sorry to hear about the change in your itinerary.

Our cruise ends in June so, as Mrs Miggins has pointed out, perhaps it’s a good sign that the disembarkation port has not yet been changed.

We shall hope for the best.

I really enjoyed embarking at Greenwich in September; it was beautiful there, and a very easy embarkation.  I don’t know that we would have spent three nights in London precruise if we would have been embarking in Southampton 

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2018 at 7:23 PM, nordski said:

Sorry to hear about the change in your itinerary.

Our cruise ends in June so, as Mrs Miggins has pointed out, perhaps it’s a good sign that the disembarkation port has not yet been changed.

We shall hope for the best.

So will we. That was part of 3 items we booked this cruise especially for. I hope if anything changes shuttles will be provided the last day and the overnight and they had better be wheelchair accessible. 

Shuttles were not provided at Greenwich last year. It’s not an easy one re accessibility due to the tidal height changes on the pier the gangway can be very steep.  However the Port of London staff were very helpful (no ships operations are allowed here) - some are broad cockneys so you will get that immediate London feel. 

• Thanks 1

The London Port Authority website is  showing Azamara Journey in Greenwich on the 10th June.

There is some disquiet on the Viking board as sometimes, when there is a one day changeover, they are using Tilbury instead which would certainly be a disappointment to many.

On checking the Greenwich Ship Tier arrivals between May and July  I see Viking on 10th May, 28th June, 7th July and 31st July,

plus Silver Whisper 18th May, Seabourn Ovation 26th May, and The World on 14th July.

The best way to central London is without doubt the Thames Clipper, which will whisk you into London via Canary Wharf (good upper end shopping) The Tower of London and Westminster.  However I cannot guarantee the broad cockney accent on all sailings.

• Thanks 1