Second part of our cruise. What can we do during "turn around" day?

Hflors

We are sailing on Rotterdam next march.  The cruise consists of a choice of a 14 day cruise or a 7 day cruise or a 21 day cruise.  We chose the 21 day cruise.  So we travel around the Caribbean for 14 days.  Then the people on the 14 day cruise leave and new people will arrive for the 7 day cruise.  During that transition are we required to leave the ship?  I was thinking it was a b2b, but in reality it is not as we have one booking # for the whole 21 days.  Has anyone ever done a cruise like this before?  What are our options on "turn around" day??

Are you staying in the same cabin for both parts?  If so, that make sit easier as there is no packing up and moving that day.  If you do need to relocate, your cabin steward should help by bringing you a luggage cart.

As to other requirements, it may depend on the port in which your turn-around happens.  Some ports require you to exit and go through immigration/customs (mind you without luggage at least), and then you would recheck in when you come back to the ship, usually through a special lane for those who are back-to-back.  Some ports you just check with the Guest Services desk to see if you need to re-activate your key card.

I have been on just a couple of back-to-back cruises and at least once the ship actually offered a few tours for that day.  Mostly, though, I've just wandered around the town wherever we were.  It's also a nice time to enjoy the quietness of the ship's facilities such as the pool.

Yes -- we have done quite a few Collector Cruises.  Out of Ft Lauderdale, Seattle, Vancouver, San Diego and Tampa -- just for starters.

Rotterdam sails out of Tampa and you will be required to get off the ship at the end of the first segment to go through immigration.  One time in Tampa we had to wait 1 1/2 hours before we could get back on the ship -- there were only 9 seats for about 150 of us doing the next segment.  4 people had to be hunted down on the ship to go through immigration before we could get back on the ship -- since they were foreigners, they thought they didn't have to go through immigration.  We were no more back on the ship and the Lido and dining room opened for lunch and the new passengers started getting on the ship.

If there is something you want to do or see in Tampa, I would get off the ship and take a taxi or whatever and enjoy the city. In Ft. Lauderdale, we left the ship about 9AM and took a taxi to a hotel near the waterway and took a boat ride for the morning. Then went back to the ship and had lunch in the MDR.

I suggest that you take a few hours and tour the Tampa Aquarium. It is right there! You get off, walk that short distance, enjoy yourselves and either have a bite there or return to the ship while others are boarding and acting goofy as they try to find their cabin, eat lunch, etc.

You will notice that the passengers are much younger on the 7-day itinerary.

Jim

Edited by JimnKaren

Thanks everyone for your impute.  I wasn't sure since we are booked on one cruise for 21 days and it just happens that Rotterdam is actually doing it in a 41 & then a 7 day cruise.  Can't wait to leave....

FLL is the same... They have to zero down the ship so you will either get off briefly or, if there are a lot of you, immigration may come onboard and check you there.  There will be a letter in you cabin the night before with your new card if necessary.  And a transit pass if you wish to go off on your own.  EM

I have been thinking about just hanging out on the ship.  since we don't need any new room keys or to set up another account it could just be a pleasant morning roaming the ship while she is empty.  I also love the thought of passengers leaving and I get to stay.  We have never done it before and I am looking forward to doing it.

• Like 1

Every port is a little different.

We did a B2B in Quebec to  FLL then closed loop FLL.

We waited in the designated lounge.  Then left the ship as a group.  There was something with the passports, and we had to wait for them to hand out of new Royal Caribbean seapass cards.   Once we were all processed, they let us back onto the ship.

Once in Vancouver, we decided to return to the ship immediately.  We waited in the terminal a while, then they told us to get back on the ship, only to be stopped 10 feet from the ship on the gangplank for about 20 minutes.  We heard later on CruiseCritic that someone opted to return later in the afternoon, and they changed the location of line, so it wasn't where they expected it to be.

In Sydney AU, we had to get off the ship, then show our passports to the official.   Saw some final disembarkation people standing in the shore excursion line because it was shorter.

The easiest B2B happened In Copenhagen, they slid our seapass cards under our door.

If you go out to see the city, keep in mind you'll have to wait in line for returning to the ship.  Even with the in-transit card, the line can be long.  The terminal will be chaotic with all the new passengers arriving, and you may not even see the in-transit line.

Edited by knittinggirl

10 hours ago, Hflors said:

I have been thinking about just hanging out on the ship.  since we don't need any new room keys or to set up another account it could just be a pleasant morning roaming the ship while she is empty.  I also love the thought of passengers leaving and I get to stay.  We have never done it before and I am looking forward to doing it.

We have done  a great many b-to-b in f LL, Montreal , Tampa,        If a  sunny, nice day, in FLL,  we sometimes grabbed a taxi, went  one of the hotels on 17th  street  where we had friends, enjoyed  their pool, had a nice lunch on ghe poolside patio and saw our friends.   IN montreal, we enjoyed walking Old Montreal, a bit of shopping and   a  great smoked meat  sandwich at our  Favorite D eli and back  to ghe ship.  We had been so many  times to Montreal includ ing  hotel stays before we ever cruised there.  It's a  wonderful city, iMO

So many people do b-to-b 's now and   em barkation   is so early, the ship is hardly empty of  guests for more than a few minutes.   When we first  started doing  b-to-b's, few did  it  then   and  embarkation was later.  We really did feel the ship was our (huge) private yacht for  at least several hours.  🙂  What fun.

Edited by sail7seas

17 hours ago, alwaysfrantic said:

I’d love info from those who have done this in FLL.  

We have also done quite a few back-to-back/ Collector cruises out of Ft Lauderdale.  You will get a letter on the last full day of the first segment explaining what to do on turn-around day.  You will get In Transit passes so that if you do decide to go somewhere, all you have to do when you return to the ship is enter the terminal, show your In Transit passes and get back on the ship -- skipping all the people checking in.  You will still have to go through security when you enter the terminal.  Depending on how many people are staying on for another segment, depends on whether you have to get off the ship or stay on the ship to go through immigration.  If it is on the ship, it will be held in the show room.  If it is held in the terminal, the ship does have to go down to zero count before anyone can get back on.  If you want to go somewhere -- you can just leave the ship whenever you want to -- just remember to take your passport with you for immigration.

• Like 1

Our cruise on the Koningsdam was part a of 2 segments.  Rome to Rome and then to Fort Lauderdale.  We were given "In transit cards" and we did not use them.    There were tours offered, but we chose not to take any and just stayed on the ship.