Evolution of Dining Attire

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I thought it was you didn't smoke enough you know what if you can remember the 60s

It appears (obviously I can't remember) I smoked way too much pot in the 60's and 70's as I can't even remember how the ole' saying goes. 😎

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

Didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if this it repeat...

At this point I believe that RCCL needs to get rid of the term "formal" night.  Sadly, it's gone, and pretty much impossible to get back at this point.  Even Celebrity has done away with it, calling it Evening Chic.

By calling it formal, you are giving passengers an expectation for how they, and others, should dress.  It's also why we see so many dang threads about this topic. 

I'll continue to enjoy formal nights as best I can on today's Royal Caribbean ships.  We still dress up and love being surrounded by other passengers that are too, but that environment is fading.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

My husband and I continue with the old tradition of formal wear and dressing for main dining room on other nights. To us that is part of the romance of going on a cruise. We do not have many occasions to dress to the 9's so like to take advantage.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Beaferd said:

My husband and I continue with the old tradition of formal wear and dressing for main dining room on other nights. To us that is part of the romance of going on a cruise. We do not have many occasions to dress to the 9's so like to take advantage.

And that's all that matters. 

On 11/15/2018 at 3:50 PM, OCruisers said:

Now, people dress much more casually almost everyplace than they once did  ... not just on ships.  

It's very noticable when you look at old pictures or newsreels of baseball games from the 1950's and earlier to see the folks in the stands wearing suit & ties.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 12:57 PM, sparks1093 said:

I turned 11 in the summer of 1969 so I don't think that I was doing a lot of smoking.🤣

I was 8 - but I did aspire to be a hippie! Of course, at some point I realized that the “drugs, sex, and rock and roll” of Woodstock also involved no bathrooms, no clean water for bathing,  and little food/shelter - it then stopped looking so good! 😷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1