Seafood Shack on the Dream?

dsotm73

Just saw on a social network page that the Tandoor Grill is being transformed into a Seafood Shack on the Dream. I never heard that this was even planned, can anyone verify this? For those who have tried it, is it good, worth the cost?

We sail on the Dream November 25.

image.png

Edited by dsotm73

1 hour ago, coevan said:

yes, do a search on this forum, there is along thread about this

Yeah, I did search prior to posting. Did not find anything Dream specific and even now can't find a long thread about the Seafood Shack. If you could point me to it I would be grateful.

• Like 1

I had the fried shrimp & fries on the Freedom in February (Seafood Shack).  I thought it was great, tasted like fried shrimp tastes. LOL!  My only complaint, it took a really long time.  My son & I were the only 2 people at the time. Though it's located at a busy little corner of a pool area on Freedom.  He didn't order, was just hanging with me before getting back to work. I'd go again though. 🍤🍤🍤

🌸🌸 Bobbi 

3 hours ago, dsotm73 said:

Yeah, I did search prior to posting. Did not find anything Dream specific and even now can't find a long thread about the Seafood Shack. If you could point me to it I would be grateful.

Hi,

I've noticed something here on the Boards.  Some folks just seem to poke in and post anything, it's not helpful nor does it give specific information. Perhaps so they get to "belong" to a 5,000 Post status??

Just a thought .....

🌸🌸. Bobbi 

According to the Carnival website the Tandoor is on the Breeze and Splendor.

The Seafood Shack is on the Conquest, Dream, Freedom, Glory, Horizon, Liberty, Magic, Triumph, Valor, Victory and Vista.  Coming soon to the Panorama, Radiance and Sunrise.

3 minutes ago, bellebaby said:

According to the Carnival website the Tandoor is on the Breeze and Splendor.

The Seafood Shack is on the Conquest, Dream, Freedom, Glory, Horizon, Liberty, Magic, Triumph, Valor, Victory and Vista.  Coming soon to the Panorama, Radiance and Sunrise.

This is a pretty new change as the last time I looked a month or so ago it was still showing the Tandoor.  Pretty bummed as I'm not interested in the Seafood Shack at all.  I have heard that the chefs will prepare some pretty tasty Indian dishes for dinner if you ask.  Guess I'll give that a shot.

9 hours ago, j1d1 said:

Going to be on the Dream over new years.  REALLY hope the Tandoor is still there.  It was one of the reasons to pick that ship.

Do people really book a cruise for one specific restaurant? I hear the same thing about Guys. If anyone really thinks this is a good burger, you need to stop eating fast food. Now sailing without a Steakhouse, might be a little disappointing. We thought the Seafood Shack was a great culinary addition. 

Just now, coevan said:

Do people really book a cruise for one specific restaurant? I hear the same thing about Guys. If anyone really thinks this is a good burger, you need to stop eating fast food. Now sailing without a Steakhouse, might be a little disappointing. We thought the Seafood Shack was a great culinary addition. 

I doubt anyone picks a cruise just for one of the included dining options.  We didn't pick this cruise just because of the Tandoor, but it was definitely something that my wife and I were looking forward to eating.  We both really like Indian food, and the consensus was that the Tandoor offered good food for lunch without much of a wait.  When comparing it with other cruise options available for a New Years cruise, the Tandoor was a positive for the Dream.  We ended up booking the cruise on the Dream, so while it wasn't the biggest factor in our decision, having access to good, "free" Indian food for lunch was part of our decision making.  Thus, we were disappointed to find out that something we were excited about has been replaced by something that neither of us have any interest in.  Despite that, we're still very much looking forward to the cruise.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:03 PM, dsotm73 said:

Just saw on a social network page that the Tandoor Grill is being transformed into a Seafood Shack on the Dream. I never heard that this was even planned, can anyone verify this? For those who have tried it, is it good, worth the cost?

We sail on the Dream November 25.

Actually we have eaten there on a number of the ships that have one and we were pleasantly surprised how good it was, the breading on the fried shrimp was light so you actually had shrimp and not all batter.  We live only an hour from the beach so Seafood is our favorite meal very happy with everything we have tried

image.png

• Like 1

In my FB group it was posted yesterday I think.  Like others, I rather love Tandoor.  It's been over five years since my last Carnival sailing and there are more dining options now.

I will try it during my sailing along with Guy's, Seaday brunch, and Chef table. I know that with the exception of Guy's, there are fee based.  But viewing other cruiselines boards, this is the current thing with sailing.

I would love for it to be part of the overall dining but each person has the option of not doing the fee dining.

On 11/16/2018 at 8:48 PM, coevan said:

We would book based on itinerary, but don't commit to it since it can be changed per cruise contract. Cost of transportation to home port is important as we live in Michigan, driving is not a viable option with limited vacation days at work. At the end of the day, travel cost is about the same.

Amenities on the ships DO vary. We would typically book the Dream class ships for the multiple dining and bar options. Tandoor was frequently the tie breaker. It will not be anymore...

As for the Nickle and Dime Trend...

• On our first cruise, there was a free (included) sushi stand on the Lido buffet... now Bonsai is on more ships, at an upcharge. There was also a fancy and fun midnight chocolate buffet (we have not seen one since then).
  • On our third cruise, we ate at Fish and Chips (free) once or twice. We also tried the Steak House for the first time (WORTH IT).
  • On our fifth cruise, Fish and Chips on Conquest was replaced by a weird (free) BBQ joint. (Seafood Shack opened LITERALLY on Conquest's next cruise).
  • On our sixth cruise, we tried dinner at Cucina del Capitano at an up-charge. We found to be comparable to Olive Garden both in the up-charge price and quality. Not quite worth it.
  • On our seventh cruise, the Taste Bar was replaced by a revenue producing, no frills beverage bar. Some crew told us the Tandoor would be going away and replaced by Seafood Shack (fee based). I inquired to JH about it, and was assured Tandoor would remain. CCL has since changed its mind. Also, room service had cut back on its hours, and up-charged for hot food during the night.

This is a clear trend of eliminating included options for the sake of paid options that generate additional revenue. Ten years down the road, will the only free (included) options be the MDR and Lido Buffet?

Though disappointing to lose Tandoor, I understand that it was not the most popular. CCL needs to appeal to demand. On the other side, the removal of an included option to replace with a pay option changes my expectation of what I am paying for with my cruise fare. I know Carnival pretty well, but now I wonder what I can expect in the future. If I book a future cruise, will other restaurants I enjoy (Blue Iguana, Pizzeria del Capitano, and/or Guy's Burgers) become up-charge restaurants? That type of uncertainty and sudden change makes it a little bit difficult to commit to future cruises.

Not debating the merits of Seafood Shack vs. Tandoor, but in general I think some of us see this as a debate between included venues and for fee venues.

The Seafood Shack replaced the included Fish and Chips lunch option on many ships.  It's now replacing the included Tandoor venues on other ships.

Whether it's a wonderful added option, or just another grab for cash cutback is in the eye of the beholder.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:01 PM, j1d1 said:

We both really like Indian food, and the consensus was that the Tandoor offered good food for lunch without much of a wait. 

I think your comment is a big reason why Tandoor is going away...i.e. lunch without much of a wait. While there is no doubt there are people like you who are big fans of Tandoor, it was not popular with the majority of passengers.  Pretty easy decision for Carnival to get rid of Tandoor and replace it with the more popular Seafood Shack, which also generates revenue for them.