CocoCay shade options

Mom can't sit in sun at all (so just being under trees won't work) but wants to relax on beach in CocoCay.

Looking at shore excursions for economical shade options.

I see the Beach Lounger for 2 option, but can't tell from photos if this provides shade or if it is just a wind blocker.

Does anyone have any other economical options they have used in the past that I am not finding?

We do not want a cabana or bungalow.

Thank you for any help.

38 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Mom can't sit in sun at all (so just being under trees won't work) but wants to relax on beach in CocoCay.

I see the Beach Lounger for 2 option, but can't tell from photos if this provides shade or if it is just a wind blocker.

Does anyone have any other economical options they have used in the past that I am not finding?

Thank you for any help.

You can rent a beach umbrella  for $30. They will install it for you. 

Enjoy

m

The beach lounger for two provides some sun block but primarily for your head and partial upper body.  It won't provide full body cover and as the sun changes position it isn't easily moved to maintain cover. 

There are some palm trees but as the sun moves so does their shade.    Some of the bars do have shaded seating but that isn't really a full day option.  

It's beach day and the same can be said of any beach, anywhere.  

The beach umbrella is your best bet.

Edited by twangster

Just now, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Can the beach umbrella be reserved ahead of time, or is it 1st come basis once on the island?

I've not seen it in the Cruise Planner, but maybe it can be reserved with Shore Excursions on board.

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

You can rent a beach umbrella  for $30. They will install it for you. 

Enjoy

m

Just off sailing on Mariner with a stop at CocoCay....best bet is umbrella.  It was $20 to rent on our sailing.  We have cruised a plenty and gotten to CocoCay about 50% of the time....and it appears to me there seems to be less trees to even try to find one to offer you some shade.  The $20 purchase was a GREAT deal!  Just do it.  Whenever the new dock is finished (and it doesn't look that it is in the very near future), it will mean more stops there.....Just rent the umbrella for shade!

19 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Just so you know...not all umbrellas have an "spf" factor...if it doesn't, it's no different from sitting under a tree!  I'd recommend a healthy dose of sunscreen for your mom  (and everyone!)

Healthy dose of sunscreen is always needed....even with an SPF umbrella, you walk to the bathroom, you walk to the BBQ or to put your toes in the water.

• Like 1

Besides the palm trees, there are other trees that give cover on Coca Caye.  Much better than the umbrellas (more cover).

Also be aware it is just not the overhead sun you have to worry about.  And even walking from your loungers to whereever.  You also have to worry about the reflection from the beach/ocean while seating in your lounger.  Always put on sunsreen even if you plan on staying in the shade.

On November 23, 2018 at 8:57 AM, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Thank you for any help.

Plenty of shade on Cococay.  no worries for mom at all.  I fell asleep in a hammack for two hours.  there are also shady areas on the beach that you can just pull a chair back into it for mom.

Edited by Robinhill
left something out

7 hours ago, Robinhill said:

Plenty of shade on Cococay.  no worries for mom at all.  I fell asleep in a hammack for two hours.  there are also shady areas on the beach that you can just pull a chair back into it for mom.

Not sure when you last visited CocoCay.....but there isn't a lot of shady areas there....with all the construction (which will make for a better time) lots of shade trees have been taken down....my hubby rented an umbrella for $20 and it was the best investment ever.  As the sun moved, he could readjust the umbrella, and I could have sun on the next lounger, or in the water.  

On 11/23/2018 at 8:57 AM, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Thank you for any help.

Rent an umbrella, that is what we always do as I want sun and husband wants shade. $25 for the day

On 11/23/2018 at 11:19 AM, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Can the beach umbrella be reserved ahead of time, or is it 1st come basis once on the island?

They have quite a few, rent them when you get there and they will put it up for you. We do it all the time

I didn't know umbrellas were available for rent ( and I have been on Coco Cay few times). This is the first time I booked a Day Bed for our upcoming cruise. It is $125 currently and includes towels, water, upgraded lunch ( if I am not mistaken). Now that I am learning here about umbrellas, I am not sure that $125 was a good idea. We always had great time on Coco Cay without buying any extras. Can someone who has experience with both Day Bed and umbrella please comment. Thank you. Sorry, one more question. Where are day beds located on the island? Is the beach area there any better then the main beach ( better as in sand, not rocky and deeper then a waist line).

Edited by olya1972
Spelling

54 minutes ago, olya1972 said:

I didn't know umbrellas were available for rent ( and I have been on Coco Cay few times). This is the first time I booked a Day Bed for our upcoming cruise. It is $125 currently and includes towels, water, upgraded lunch ( if I am not mistaken). Now that I am learning here about umbrellas, I am not sure that $125 was a good idea. We always had great time on Coco Cay without buying any extras. Can someone who has experience with both Day Bed and umbrella please comment. Thank you. Sorry, one more question. Where are day beds located on the island? Is the beach area there any better then the main beach ( better as in sand, not rocky and deeper then a waist line).

Just my opinion, but we don't like the south side of the island where the beds are.  Way to hot and if the tide goes out there is no water.  We sit at the main beach area.  Umbrellas are $25.  Water is great.  We bring out our towels from the ship.  Lunch is great BBQ, roasted pig, etc.  But we are not looking for 5* dining on the beach.  Again only our opinion but I would never sit on the south side.  We get off the tender and head down past where the snorkel hut is.  Love it there. it is to the left of Wacky Seagull.

Edited by karena1