Miami Brickell Area - Post Cruise

LuCruise

On 11/24/2018 at 11:34 AM, Host CJSKIDS said:

You are welcome!  I live a 1 minute walk to the hotel so can help with any questions.  

Question for a local:  I'v stayed at the Hampton Inn Brickell many times as I love the parking availability and safety.  I get their just fine from I 95.  I have yet to find a direct route to return to I 95 North.  Last time, was just after Hurricane Irma and it took us an hour to "get out of town".  Any help you can give would be appreciated.  GPS was useless.

7 hours ago, Nanatravel said:

Question for a local:  I'v stayed at the Hampton Inn Brickell many times as I love the parking availability and safety.  I get their just fine from I 95.  I have yet to find a direct route to return to I 95 North.  Last time, was just after Hurricane Irma and it took us an hour to "get out of town".  Any help you can give would be appreciated.  GPS was useless.

I can’t help you with directions, but just wanted to say...instead of using our GPS we rely on the free app WAZE.  

Much, much better and hasn’t steered us wrong yet.

42 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

I can’t help you with directions, but just wanted to say...instead of using our GPS we rely on the free app WAZE.  

Much, much better and hasn’t steered us wrong yet.

I did hear that and recommended it to lots of people during our last hurricane.  Many return evacuation routes were impassable.  It helped our neighbors get home.  I'll be sure to have it added to my husband's iphone.

9 hours ago, Nanatravel said:

That is odd. A mobile GPS like Waze or Google maps will be much better than a GPS in a car or one of those portable ones. The best way to get to 95 North from the Hampton Inn Brickell is make a right out of the garage a right on S. Miami Ave and a right SW 25th rd and then a right on I-95. Just look on google maps and you will see what I am talking about. You go south for about a mile, but that is usually the best way to avoid having to use the other entrance off of SW 8th street. 

9 hours ago, Nanatravel said:

The best way out IMO depends on that moment of the day - I look at Google Maps or map on my phone to see where the backups are (red lines) then drive to avoid those even if it means driving north via Downtown.  BTW I find Downtown Miami very easy to navigate (unlike the highway system towards the airport!)

11 hours ago, Nanatravel said:

There are a few ways to get back onto 95.  

One of the easiest ways without lots of traffic will to be actually to head south for a mile or so and this is the way that my husband takes every morning to get to work and I always use to leave town.  

1.  Make a right out of the Hampton Inn parking garage and at the stop sign, make a right onto South Miami Ave.  (Apollo Bank will be on the corner on the left hand side.)

2.  Follow straight south on South Miami Ave. When you get to the roundabout by PM Steakhouse, you need to keep going straight which would be the the 2nd lane of the roundabout for you.  (There will be an entrance to Simpson park right there)

3.  Go to the traffic light and make a right onto SW 25th. Stay in your right lane when you turn because the entrance onto 95 will be about 2 houses up on your right side at the next traffic light!  Merge onto 95.

2 hours ago, Flymia said:

That is odd. A mobile GPS like Waze or Google maps will be much better than a GPS in a car or one of those portable ones. The best way to get to 95 North from the Hampton Inn Brickell is make a right out of the garage a right on S. Miami Ave and a right SW 25th rd and then a right on I-95. Just look on google maps and you will see what I am talking about. You go south for about a mile, but that is usually the best way to avoid having to use the other entrance off of SW 8th street. 

didn't even see your answer before I posted mine and they are the same!!!

3 hours ago, SteerageJoe said:

The best way out IMO depends on that moment of the day - I look at Google Maps or map on my phone to see where the backups are (red lines) then drive to avoid those even if it means driving north via Downtown.  BTW I find Downtown Miami very easy to navigate (unlike the highway system towards the airport!)

Thank you both for your detailed response.  We will be sure to install WAZE also before we sail.  I've printed out your directions and hope for the best.

On 11/24/2018 at 1:32 AM, LuCruise said:

Our flight is early so we'll probably miss the breakfast but hotel seems quite nice.

They have a grab-and-go breakfast for people checking out before breakfast starts. Just ask the front desk agent.

38 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

They have a grab-and-go breakfast for people checking out before breakfast starts. Just ask the front desk agent.

That's great.  Thank you.  Perfect for our early morning flight in March.

Also ended up booking Hampton Inn Brickell for August cruise.  Flight booked now too and it's early enough we can enjoy the area for the afternoon and evening.  Thanks to all for the advice and information.