Horrible experience at Hyatt Place 17th Street

Alaska59

9 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Just as an aside - you probably could have negotiated to have a taxi/black car take you from the Hyatt Place Plantation to where you needed to be.  

Hyatt Place is not a brand I've worked for, so no comment on the "always overbook" that the FDA told you.  

You must have confused my experience/post with another since we never proceeded to the Plantation Hyatt Place. I told the Hyatt Place on 17th St mgr. we didn't have any use for the reservation in Plantation. We made other arrangements entirely. There was no taxi ride to negotiate from Plantation. As for the "always overbook" comment you reference, that isn't from my version of events. Sorry, not clear on who/what the FDA is?

I just came on to warn other of the potential problems when using Value Trips. Thanks

I work front desk at a big chain hotel in a very touristy town and I deal with 3rd party sites every day. The Hyatt overbooked, they walked you and tried to blame Booking com.  One factor why this happens is if the hotel did not close the bookings on 3rd party sites on time and it is a busy day. Overbooking falls on the hotel.

You obviously had a reservation since the agent said you were moved and Booking.com should have told you - first of all that is not how it works.  Walks happen last minute (same day), guests don't find out until you go to check-in. 

I also used to do rooms control at a big hotel in Disney World, we walked people all the time (granted it was easier since WDW has so many hotels and we would the comp night).  All hotels overbook.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirenitas said:

I work front desk at a big chain hotel in a very touristy town and I deal with 3rd party sites every day. The Hyatt overbooked, they walked you and tried to blame Booking com.  One factor why this happens is if the hotel did not close the bookings on 3rd party sites on time and it is a busy day. Overbooking falls on the hotel.

You obviously had a reservation since the agent said you were moved and Booking.com should have told you - first of all that is not how it works.  Walks happen last minute (same day), guests don't find out until you go to check-in. 

I also used to do rooms control at a big hotel in Disney World, we walked people all the time (granted it was easier since WDW has so many hotels and we would the comp night).  All hotels overbook.

This seems fair to me.  People want sweet deals through 3rd party booking sites.  You can't always have your cake and eat it, too.  Save money but risk being the first to get bumped.  And when they bumped the person, they provided adequate alternate accommodations and transportation accordingly.

It sounds like there are some very knowledgeable hotel representatives on this thread so....OK, I booked with booking dot com.  I called the Hyatt Place 17th yesterday and got a Hyatt confirmation number.  I check the Hyatt website to confirm and sure enough I am booked for the Hyatt Place 17th hotel.  If they are overbooked is there a possibility the could move me even though my reservation is confirmed? 

Slidergirl, sirenitas any opinions?

As far as I know, a hotel confirmation number is never a guarantee you will get the room you booked and secured (credit card). Even when booking direct.

I used to own/run an upscale safari company in Africa before I retired at the end of 2016. I've been walked from 5-star hotels with direct bookings and a few times it happened to my guests. Very stressful after 20 hours of travel.

You may be less likely to walk if you are a platinum member and such but who knows how each hotel decides who to walk? No-one does IMO because it depends on that hotel at that time under that specific conditions. It DOES help to show up earlier in the day rather than late!

The hotel fine print (booking conditions) states this rather clearly:

What is Hyatt's reservation guarantee?

If you book a room on hyatt.com and prepay with a credit card, Hyatt will have a room reserved for you when you arrive, or will provide, at no cost to you:

• A free night at a comparable hotel
• Free transportation to and from that hotel
• One free telephone call to advise your family where you can be reached

Edited by SteerageJoe

Just like airlines, most if not all hotels will overbook on occasions.  If they are offering “no fee” cancellations up to 4.00pm on the day of arrival which many fully flexible rates are, then they have to overbook to ensure that they are at maximum occupancy. The key thing is the way the overbooking is handled. If a hotel runs out of “wriggle room” and realises they are going to have to walk prebooked guests, they will want to ensure that damage limitation is in place. That usually means that 3rd party bookings are the most vulnerable. They will always protect their loyal/regular guests and especially those who are members of their loyalty programme and then work through the “pecking order”.   With the huge upsurge of online booking sites in the last ten years this problem is not going to go away.  I have booked direct with a hotel (the property itself, not their central booking office) and still been walked.   It happens and it will never go away. 

I book most of my hotels through a 3rd party site-usually Expedia. I saved over $1000 on a recent trip to Bermuda by using Expedia. HOWEVER, I always call the hotel directly and confirm my reservation and get a hotel reservation number. When I call for my reservation number I also discuss room requests ie; top floor, near elevators etc. A few days before my trip I call the hotel again and re-confirm my reservation. So far I have not had any problems.

1 hour ago, blueridgemama said:

I book most of my hotels through a 3rd party site-usually Expedia. I saved over $1000 on a recent trip to Bermuda by using Expedia. HOWEVER, I always call the hotel directly and confirm my reservation and get a hotel reservation number. When I call for my reservation number I also discuss room requests ie; top floor, near elevators etc. A few days before my trip I call the hotel again and re-confirm my reservation. So far I have not had any problems.

We do the same thing, been on 20 cruises and never been bumped.

8 hours ago, Paulinda said:

It sounds like there are some very knowledgeable hotel representatives on this thread so....OK, I booked with booking dot com.  I called the Hyatt Place 17th yesterday and got a Hyatt confirmation number.  I check the Hyatt website to confirm and sure enough I am booked for the Hyatt Place 17th hotel.  If they are overbooked is there a possibility the could move me even though my reservation is confirmed? 

Slidergirl, sirenitas any opinions?

Hello,

Just thought I'd mention that I did EXACTLY what you did - only with ValueTrips instead of booking.com. I called them when I first booked in January - and figured out how to get from the airport to the hotel (free) and then how to get from the hotel to the cruise ship - $7 a person.    I also called the Hyatt Place 17th street a second time directly less than 2 weeks prior to arrival and they confirmed my reservation.   They even started to charge my credit card the day before my arrival - and actually did by accident - I had to call after I got back home from the cruise to have it reversed for which they apologized.  But still I was bumped to the Hyatt Plantation on November 9th.  Yes the whole city was tight for rooms due to a boat show, so it may not happen frequently, but enough that I will never use them again.  Too tiring after a 8 hour travel day.

In 2001 I ran into this exact situation with a booking at a hotel in Germany. I had booked through a 3rd-party site, and when my wife and I arrived, the hotel had no record of our booking, and no available rooms. Fortunately, I speak enough German (badly) that I was able to book us into a nearby hotel, though I was sorely afraid that I might have accidentally ordered a pizza. I have always booked directly with the hotel websites ever since, and have never since had a problem. In many cases, I have actually gotten a cheaper rate booking directly, and now use the 3rd-party sites mostly to see what's available in the places where we travel, and then go to the hotel websites.

Edited by Langoustine
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hollyann said:

Hello,

Just thought I'd mention that I did EXACTLY what you did - only with ValueTrips instead of booking.com. I called them when I first booked in January - and figured out how to get from the airport to the hotel (free) and then how to get from the hotel to the cruise ship - $7 a person.    I also called the Hyatt Place 17th street a second time directly less than 2 weeks prior to arrival and they confirmed my reservation.   They even started to charge my credit card the day before my arrival - and actually did by accident - I had to call after I got back home from the cruise to have it reversed for which they apologized.  But still I was bumped to the Hyatt Plantation on November 9th.  Yes the whole city was tight for rooms due to a boat show, so it may not happen frequently, but enough that I will never use them again.  Too tiring after a 8 hour travel day.

8 hours ago, Langoustine said:

In 2001 I ran into this exact situation with a booking at a hotel in Germany. I had booked through a 3rd-party site, and when my wife and I arrived, the hotel had no record of our booking, and no available rooms. Fortunately, I speak enough German (badly) that I was able to book us into a nearby hotel, though I was sorely afraid that I might have accidentally ordered a pizza. I have always booked directly with the hotel websites ever since, and have never since had a problem. In many cases, I have actually gotten a cheaper rate booking directly, and now use the 3rd-party sites mostly to see what's available in the places where we travel, and then go to the hotel websites.

Thank you Hollyann and Langoustine for your insights and experiences.  We have never before used a third party site on our travels and I guess we will see what happens in March with our H-P booking.   Whatever happens I guess we will never use third party sites again as it looks like we may have only 'saved' $40-$50 and that is certainly not worth the aggravation.   

On 11/26/2018 at 7:41 AM, sirenitas said:

Since the OP had done the request months ago, closing off bookings on the OTA wouldn't have an effect on the OP's walk,  Yes, we must close off bookings at the hotel end.  I have a brand new Reservations Manager who never worked reservations before (he was a Bell Captain, but has the eye of upper management and want to "groom" him).  First week on the job, he forgot he was the one responsible for closing off OTAs - I ended up seeing 2 reservations come in from Expedia on a busy weekend.  We had 2 rooms, but they were "vacant dirty", not "vacant ready".  We had to get the houseman to clean those rooms.  Fortunately, those guests came later in the evening, so the houseman had the 2 hours needed to clean.  (yes, not every room in a hotel is always cleaned and ready for occupancy.  Drops happen all the time.  And, the evening HK team is many times trained only for turndown/evening service, not the departure cleanings.  If you don't off market rooms not cleaned that day, rooms will be seen online as just vacant - doesn't take cleaning status into account).  Each hotel has it's own set of guidelines on who to walk.  Sometimes, we play "tape chart Tetris", trying to move multiple guests around to try to accommodate more guests.  But, sometimes, with Do Not Move Room, Do Not Move Type, and elite guests thrown into that mix, a room blocker just can't make it happen.  Just like on airlines, sometimes the lowest fare bucket folks are tossed off the plane first...  Also - I must be lucky that I haven't worked for a hotel who deliberately overbooks.  

We have stayed at the Hyatt several times, always booking through Value Trips.  We have another reservation to stay there in 2 weeks prior to our cruise.  We have now made a different reservation at a highly rated hotel and will cancel the Hyatt.  Reason being that the new reservation is actually going to cost me less than the Hyatt done through Value Trips.  Also, the Hyatt is showing "sold out" for our night, so being bumped is more of a possibility.  I now am understanding that the breakfast may no longer be included and they also charge for airport pick up.  They are in an ideal area close to the port and walking distance to some good restaurants, but there are many hotels that offer the same.   I am surprised they even allow Value Trips to sell some of their rooms.  I really appreciate those people who have taken the time to share their experiences.

• Like 1

Teacherman - be sure you are still within the cancellation window!!  Every hotel has it's own cancellation periods and some actually change with the day of the week.  Also check that this wasn't a prepaid "you paid you lose" type of reservation; those are non-refundable/non-changeable,  Also, you probably have to go to Value Trips to cancel, not Hyatt.  I haven't work anywhere where a 3rd party cancellation could be done by the guest without going through the 3rd party.  

Since this Hyatt Place seems to be overbooked all the time when it is cruise time, why do people continue to try to roll the dice, book, and hope they don't get walked?  For me, it wouldn't be worth it.  I'll pay extra to be somewhere where I have little chance of being walked.  AND, book directly with the hotel.  AND, call the hotel directly first thing in the morning to let them know my arrival time (let them know you really are showing up and not likely to be one of the no-shows they are hoping for).

The Value Trip communication gave me a reservation number which is showing on the Hyatt site.  I can cancel until the day before arrival either by calling the hotel or using the Hyatt web site.  Thank you for your concern.  I liked staying there when it was not packed with cruisers (like me).  If you have a cruise leaving mid week, it may not be full or there may be a lot of business people.

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Teacherman - be sure you are still within the cancellation window!!  Every hotel has it's own cancellation periods and some actually change with the day of the week.  Also check that this wasn't a prepaid "you paid you lose" type of reservation; those are non-refundable/non-changeable,  Also, you probably have to go to Value Trips to cancel, not Hyatt.  I haven't work anywhere where a 3rd party cancellation could be done by the guest without going through the 3rd party.

37E32BBF-A3A0-4BC5-B924-089F87CBE33B.jpeg

7 hours ago, teacherman said:

We have stayed at the Hyatt several times, always booking through Value Trips.  We have another reservation to stay there in 2 weeks prior to our cruise.  We have now made a different reservation at a highly rated hotel and will cancel the Hyatt.  Reason being that the new reservation is actually going to cost me less than the Hyatt done through Value Trips.  Also, the Hyatt is showing "sold out" for our night, so being bumped is more of a possibility.  I now am understanding that the breakfast may no longer be included and they also charge for airport pick up.  They are in an ideal area close to the port and walking distance to some good restaurants, but there are many hotels that offer the same.   I am surprised they even allow Value Trips to sell some of their rooms.  I really appreciate those people who have taken the time to share their experiences.

Care to share what highly rated hotel you're using ?

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I wonder if ValueTrips is considered a TA rather than an OTA.   With the OTAs I have to work with (Expedia, Groupon, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelTonight.com), we are not allowed to deal directly with a guest for changes/cancellations.  The only thing we will accommodate is an extension - we will build a new reservation for the guest and match the rate.

37E32BBF-A3A0-4BC5-B924-089F87CBE33B.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Since the OP had done the request months ago, closing off bookings on the OTA wouldn't have an effect on the OP's walk, .   

When the OP booked they were not overbooked, but it did happen so they must not have closed the system.

I'm not saying hotels overbook on purpose, it seems like at the hotel I work for now it sneaks up on the manager - who for some reason is the only one that can close the system, and she has weekends off (great right?). Not sure how it happened at Disney since their reservations department is world of its own.

I loved doing rooms control at Disney. I also called it playing Tetris 😉  I would not walk the lowest rate though, it was one nighters first, no one who had a special occasion (it is one of the deluxe hotels and we would get tons of honeymoons).  For the hotel I am in now we don't walk high tier members, then it is first come first serve - which stinks for me since I am night audit so I get to walk these poor people.  

This is a very interesting thread!  I've actually found that, for most chain hotels, I get the lowest rate if I book directly via their site, especially if I sign up for their rewards program.  I know some folks may not want to do that, but as I traveled a lot for work, that has not only helped me get the lowest rates (especially with HIlton brand hotels), but also to accumulate points for future stays.  Hilton also throws in things like free Wifi, but I'm not sure if that's a gimmick and it's offered to everyone anyway, no matter where you book.

I always wondered if anyone got bumped.  For a few years, I had the highest status with Hilton and one of the perks was guaranteed room at certain properties (probably not their resorts), if I booked at least 48 hours in advance.  I know I booked a few places at the last minute for work purposes by calling the Hilton Honors number, even though the website showed the property was not available.  I wondered if they kept rooms available for such purposes, or if they would just "bump" someone.  If the latter, then I sincerely apologize!

Linda

• Like 1

I accidentally came upon this thread  I am now quite scared. I reserved through Valuetrips.com for Dec.22nd. Is there a way I can find out if I do, indeed, have a room? Leaving the next day for a cruise. Now I don't know what to do. Help, please! Joyce

On 11/27/2018 at 12:39 PM, teacherman said:

Again....I'll ask if you care to share what "highly rated" hotel you have gotten a better deal at ?

59 minutes ago, jr8934 said:

I accidentally came upon this thread  I am now quite scared. I reserved through Valuetrips.com for Dec.22nd. Is there a way I can find out if I do, indeed, have a room? Leaving the next day for a cruise. Now I don't know what to do. Help, please! Joyce

Call the Hyatt Place directly to their front desk (not the main reservation number for Hyatt call center) we have done this a few times in the past to confirm our reservation and were given a reservation number with them vs the one with ValueTrips....Even have confirmed the request to have adjoining rooms...No problem so far and I have booked another stay doing the same thing for next October post cruise. When trying to book during the "Boat Show" I think that's been when some have had a problem.