Explorer Lisbon to Cape Town Nov 28 until dragged kicking & screaming off

1982CruzStart

I am very late to the party in finishing up but maybe still interesting to some. 

Thanks Susan for your recap. We differ on a couple of things but everyone’s experiences are their own.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise though not as much as ones we have done in the past. After 2 years of not being able to travel I was looking forward to being back on a ship.  We picked this cruise because of the starting point and the post cruise safari and considered almost everything in between a bonus.  A chance to see places we hadn’t seen before. Other than Lisbon, Madeira and Cape Town none of the ports were on our bucket lists.

Explorer

We loved the F2 suite we had. It has plenty of storage and beautifully laid out.  It is great to be able to lay in bed and watch the ocean.  Compared to Voyager, Explorer with the larger bathroom and closet as well as the layout of the bed made the rest of the space feel smaller when we first walked in. It took no time to get use to the difference.

We were just forward of the forward stairs and elevator on deck 8 and I thought it an excellent location. Even in rough seas I didn’t feel the seas more than any other location on the 8th deck.  There was a little noise during the day as we were right across from 2 service doors so you could hear banging doors at times but no big deal.

It is a beautiful ship. We took the advice of others on CC and requested seating at the back of CR so it was quiet

and less hectic.  Loved the public spaces but found the hallways very narrow.

Even though she is beautiful I would not go out of my way to sail on her. If it was the ship that had the itinerary we wanted I would sail on her again in a heart beat. Oh and we are in 2020.

Passengers

I don’t know whether it is because we haven’t been on a ship for 2 years and on Regent even longer than that I found some passengers to be less considerate and more oblivious to others than every before.  Too many people just didn’t seem to give a crap about their fellow passengers.  People would push in front of others or block aisle ways or ignore simply instructions I guess cuz they are more important than anyone else.  I just wasn’t expecting that from people that sail on Regent.

There were plenty of lovely people but some of those seemingly lovely people just didn’t care about anyone but themselves.

Ports

Unlike our cruise of eastern Africa we did not get as much out of the ports as we hoped.  We struggled to find tours that we wanted to book in more than a couple of ports.  Also my run ins with DS and the lack of manners by passengers did not add to the experiences.

We were reminded repeatedly that we were in 3rd world countries with little to no tourism infrastructure to handle cruise ships.  Not a problem for us but some passengers didn’t feel the same way.

We were, however pleasantly surprised about how good the buses were. We had a few guides that you could tell had never done guiding before. Again no problem. They tried very hard and were wonderfully warm and welcoming people. Their lack of experience wasn't a deal breaker.

One of the ports where I really wanted to see the stops was the one where we were running late and we rushed through all the attractions I wanted to see.  That was disappointing but it happens.

Staff

Overall the staff were friendly, welcoming and just couldn’t do enough for you. We had the occasional issue but really no big deal.  Just can't say enough good things about the people that work for Regent.  When i took my issues to the top, i received a response promptly. 

Captain Serena is great. I would sailed with her any time, on any ship. Was lucky enough to have a couple of impromptu conversations with her.

Internet

We didn’t have as many issues with the internet as some others did. Once we figured out how to get on for the most part we had pretty good speed and connectivity. Not all the time but the majority of time.  The one day it was really bad my DH found out that they had turned the internet off. No explanation as to why.  Of course it is different for us we don’t have to go online, we are retired and not dependent on the internet for work.  It might be much more frustrating if you need to be on.

Food

Overall it was great.  The variety and preparation was spot on. The only annoying issue I have is with their prepared salads. I can’t figure out why they need to drown their salads in dressing. I wasn’t expecting that and tried to remember to ask for the dressing on the side because I like my salads lightly dressed to enjoy the veggies. Did we have some misses, most definitely but they were few and far between. 

Post cruise safari

It was very good.  Really was one of the major reasons we took this cruise.  The staff were great. It was the first time we had stayed in a luxury tent. It was totally unexpected. It was large and well appointed. We were lucky to have one of the tents that had the shower in the tent instead of outside. Having your own private plunge pool was fun.  Every tent was very secluded, so privacy was not an issue.  I probably wouldn't stay in a tent again as i can't sleep if it is too warm and the air conditioning just couldn't get it cool enough. Yes the tent had an air conditioner.

The ranger we had was wonderful.  The one downside to this game reserve compared to the last one is the size. It was about double of the first one we visited. That meant we had long periods of time on the drives where we didn’t see any animals at all. However overall we say plenty of wildlife and the safari was a huge success. 

Though unlikely to happen, it is just getting too hard to do the long flights back, I would do another safari in a heartbeat. It is an experience unlike any other.

Our cruise next year is back on Voyager. Really looking forward to it and my fellow blogger, Susan, happens to be on it as well. We may once again dazzle you with our wit and pictures. Okay, with the pictures anyway and maybe Susan's wit. 

Thanks for following along. 

Really appreciate your detailed review - you touched on all of the points that I am most interested in.  Your comments about fellow passengers is something we understand too well.  While that attitude does not happen often, we did see it on our cruise to India (obviously another 3rd world country).  In my opinion, there is no excuse for rudeness.

It was interesting to learn that the luxury tents were a bit too warm at night - even with air conditioning.  This information should be helpful to people when selecting which camp to stay at for their safari.  

Could not agree more about the long flights.  If South Africa were a bit closer, we would likely be there every other year or so.  I mentioned in one post that, based on your comments of the itinerary, that the Cape Town to Cape Town itinerary may be a bit better (although shorter).  Also based on comments from your cruise, we will not be doing that itinerary - an itinerary that we had a real interest in.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us.  It is really appreciated!

Edited by Travelcat2

Informative Thread with great photos.  This brought back memories of our Mariner Cape Town-Rio Nov/Dec 2015 itinerary.  

For other planning a future, similar trip:  Consider.  Get to Cape Town (CT)--early.  This will counter jet-lag.  It just takes a long time to get from US/Canadian cities to CT.  We did Delta, N/S, Seattle to Amsterdam; then N/S to CT.     

At the suggestion of our TA--arrived three days early.  Stayed at Victoria Albert Hotel in the waterfront area.  Great hotel.  Did several local tours.  Then, after transferring to Regent's assigned hotel in the downtown area--name I can't recall--for one night: 

Off on a three-day pre-cruise Safari.  We and seven other Regent couples were "assigned" to Camp Figtree.  This involved flying from CT to Port Elizabeth.  Then, 1 1/2 hour van transfer to the Camp.  It was a magical experience to spend that time at a British-themed, but totally authentic South African facility while touring Addo Elephant National Reserve.  That Reserve was in a valley below the Lodge.  Outstanding service, and facilities.  Yes, we stayed in a tent--at the recommendation of our TA.  But, that "tent" had oriental rugs, a solid wood floor, 24/7 power, indoor plumbing with a shower that worked; and an attentive staff.  Food was 5+ star.   SA wines were also tops. 

A great way to start a cruise, as rapport was established through common positive experiences while at Addo.  Thus, our little band met several times while aboard Mariner enroute to Rio.  

Somewhere, and somehow, I will retrieve the video my wife took of a bull elephant passing about three feet from our Land Rover.  Just walking, silently, down a dusty back road headed right for us.  Our Ranger/Guide knew just when to be where.  That big guy filled up the lens as he eyeballed us--then just kept walking-by.  That 30-second experience was worth the whole trip. 

Anyway--our experience in South Africa. 

GOARMY!

• Thanks 1

Idyllic!   I love PE and the area around it (my uncle farmed near PE).  Would adore to take one of these South African cruises in the future.   

Your TA gave sound advice - given the time difference between Seattle and Cape Town having some "rest time" on arrival made sense.  Two very long flights too.   And I suppose both overnight.

Re:  Flight segments to Cape Town (CT)-- 

Yep, our Seattle-Amsterdam flight was a Red Eye.  But, comfortable, with great service.  The KLM segment from Amsterdam to CT was, interestingly, mostly-daylight.  That is due to those cities being not-too-far off the same longitudinal Line.  So, as I recall, there was only a one hour clock time difference.  Maybe, none at all.  Recall looking at the inflight map showing progress.  Pretty much a straight north to south line.  Also, it was Summer time at CT.  We landed at dusk.  Transferred to the Hotel in short order.  By that time, it was dark. 

GOARMY!

On 12/29/2018 at 8:02 AM, Catpow said:

We're back after our 40 hour ordeal, and a couple of days inevitable jet lag.  Thanks to Flossie who we saw and chatted to throughout the cruise and 1982 CruzStart who we finally met just before we flew to Port Elizabeth for our safari.  Our Safari at Kariega Settlers Drift was just astonishing.  There was just one other couple from the Explorer and it was a very small establishment anyway.  Our guide was personable and knowledgeable and although we saw no leopards (or cheetahs for that matter), we did get plenty of exposure to both black and white rhino, elephants, zebra, giraffes, hippos and any number of assorted antelope.  Perhaps the highlight was the white rhino Thandi who was rescued from poachers in 2012 - the only rhino to have survived such an attack - who now has two 'babies'.  The accommodation and facilities were exemplary and the cake and the effort made to celebrate my husband's birthday (the entire kitchen staff, some still wearing their hair nets, sang 'Happy Birthday' in English, Afrikaans and Xhosa in harmonies we've not heard before) was much appreciated, as was the specially made cake.  

The hotel In Cape Town used by Regent, the Cullinan Sun, was fairly average.  It was packed with holiday makers and the breakfast queue resembled Disneyland.  Some fellow travellers had the foresight to book Xmas Eve dinner at the historic Mount Nelson Hotel (thanks to concierge Jeffrey on the Explorer for facilitating this) and we joined them. This was just delightful, and quite British in tradition (crackers with tacky jokes and gifts, pudding, way too much food), but with a South African twist.

Overall, we just loved the cruise: we met many interesting people, Captain Serena was a delight and the broad range of passengers made for a great dynamic.  The itinerary is not for everyone; many of the ports were unused to large tour groups, but for us this added to the interest.  We were on display as much as the sights in some ports.  

Now we're unpacked, washing done and souvenirs distributed we can relax and finally book our excursions for our next cruise in August.  Fortunately Alessio, the Explorer barista, will be with us then to make our 'flat whites'.

Below are some random safari pics (Thandi is the white rhino with no horn, the black rhino has a horn as they're much harder for poachers to find), plus our post-dessert Xmas goodies stand at Mt Nelson Hotel.  

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2359.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

On 11/28/2018 at 6:03 AM, Hambagahle said:

So sorry to hear about the "gastronomical mishap" and hope it fades quickly from your memory, cruisestart!  FRA is my least favourite airport too... once had to spend 5 hours in a cold gate area there waiting for a QF plane to board (when we should have been in the lounge and then called...)  UGH!  Plus the transfer from non-Schengen to Schengen is really badly signposted and hard to do.   (Have to say that IF you have the chance one day to fly via ZRH all this is handled far, far better!  And faster!  And with mooing cows to welcome you as well!!)

The Explorer looks great - and I have a special favour to ask!  IF at all possible sometime along the cruise could you take a stern view photo?  We are booked in 785 on Splendour, which will look just like Explorer and it is the rear Grand Suite on deck 7.  I would LOVE to see what the balcony looks like and have had an impossible time of finding any photos taken from off the ship.  (not many either from ON the ship).

I wish I were on your cruise.  It would remind me of being on the Union Castle line, age 10, travelling to Africa for the first time.  I know you will love every minute and we will all love seeing the photos.  Many thanks in advance!

Gerry

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all this information. Just read it through as though reading a travel book ! I only just came across the thread as I am researching for the 2020 version of the Lisbon to Capetown Cruise on Voyager on which we have booked. As an Australian, I am interested in how Catpow in particular organised their visas. My research indicates we will need visas for Ghana, Ivory Coast & Sao Tome and can get Cape Verde & Togo on arrival. I am also interested in the yellow Fever requirements - Regent haven't mentioned that to us yet. Any information would be appreciated.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:31 PM, Anna201213 said:

I plan an air deviation from Montreal to Lisbon with Air Canada operating by Swiss  Air. They have a stop in Zurich of 5 hours or Geneva a stop of 2h15 before going to Lisbon.

Which airport would you choose ?

Candrey, in MO i would choose Geneva, whose airport is smaller and easier for transit. In Zurich You have to change the terminal but not in Geneva.

i wish you a pleasant flight.

11 hours ago, candrey said:

Thanks for all this information. Just read it through as though reading a travel book ! I only just came across the thread as I am researching for the 2020 version of the Lisbon to Capetown Cruise on Voyager on which we have booked. As an Australian, I am interested in how Catpow in particular organised their visas. My research indicates we will need visas for Ghana, Ivory Coast & Sao Tome and can get Cape Verde & Togo on arrival. I am also interested in the yellow Fever requirements - Regent haven't mentioned that to us yet. Any information would be appreciated.

We were repeatedly told by Regent that we would require the yellow fever vaccine or the official waiver.  When we checked in at the Lisbon cruise terminal we had to provide proof of the vaccine or the official waiver.  This is the first time we have ever specifically been required at check in to provide the proof.    My DH can not have the vaccine so we had the official waivers and had no issues. 

If you check out our roll call there may be more info from Catpow on it regarding visas. 

On 1/14/2019 at 6:31 AM, Anna201213 said:

I plan an air deviation from Montreal to Lisbon with Air Canada operating by Swiss  Air. They have a stop in Zurich of 5 hours or Geneva a stop of 2h15 before going to Lisbon.

Which airport would you choose ?

You are asking such great questions on this thread.  Maybe you could start a new thread rather than having it buried in a 14 page thread.  It would give more of us the opportunity to read your posts and answer questions.

13 hours ago, candrey said:

I am also interested in the yellow Fever requirements - Regent haven't mentioned that to us yet. Any information would be appreciated.

There are two issues regarding Yellow Fever:

1. Vaccination: This is a matter for you to discuss with your GP or other health professional as to whether you should have the Yellow Fever vaccination, and any other vaccinations/boosters, for the countries on this itinerary. However, if you and your GP agree that you should not have the Yellow Fever vaccination you will require an official waiver in order to be granted entry into some of the countries.

2. Entry requirements: Each country has differing requirements as to what it requires from travellers when entering their country.

• Some have no requirement for a Yellow Fever certificate (or waiver).* 
  • Some require to see a Certificate (or waiver) for those arriving from countries with a risk of Yellow Fever transmission e.g. The Gambia and Ghana have this requirement.
  • Others require to see a Certificate (or waiver) for all those arriving (wherever they are travelling from) e.g. Cote d'Ivoire and Togo have this more onerous requirement

As Kathy (1982CruzStart) said, Regent collected in Yellow Fever documentation, along with Passports, at check-in for this voyage.

Hope you have as good a cruise in 2020 as we had in 2018 😄

* Some travellers get confused about Yellow Fever vaccinations & certification as there are some countries around the world that do not require a Yellow Fever certificate for entry into the country even though vaccination is recommended when travelling in that country e.g. Brazil and Panama have this apparent anomaly. 

1.  The World Health Organization states that booster Yellow Fever vaccinations are no longer necessary.  This was reported in U.K. newspapers as well as newspapers in the U.S. and likely around the world.

2.  The CDC (Center for Disease Control) has made the same statement.

3.  "Official" waivers are not needed - a simple letter from your physician on his/her letterhead will suffice if some countries still insist on it.

Personally, unless my doctor recommended it for some specific reason, I would get the letter.  It is simply too big of a risk ..... the older you get, the bigger the risk!  

Edited by Travelcat2

27 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

1.  The World Health Organization states that booster Yellow Fever vaccinations are no longer necessary.  This was reported in U.K. newspapers as well as newspapers in the U.S. and likely around the world.

Agreed, and Yellow Fever vaccination certificates are now valid for life rather than the previous 10 years (even those certificates previously issued with an expiry date on them)

However, for countries on this West African itinerary, it may be necessary to have boosters for other vaccinations. For us we were both recommended by our GP to have a Typhoid booster, which we did.

27 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

3.  "Official" waivers are not needed - a simple letter from your physician on his/her letterhead will suffice if some countries still insist on it.

Personally, unless my doctor recommended it for some specific reason, I would get the letter.  It is simply too big of a risk ..... the older you get, the bigger the risk!  

For some of the countries on this West African itinerary I would not recommend anything other than an official vaccination certificate or an official waiver. Otherwise you could risk being denied entry into one or more of the countries visited.

We had the Yellow Fever vaccination a few years ago (with no ill effects) and therefore had the certificates to take with us.

As I said previously, the question of whether or not to have the Yellow Fever vaccination, or any other vaccinations/boosters, is a matter for discussion between the individual and their health advisor. 

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

You are asking such great questions on this thread.  Maybe you could start a new thread rather than having it buried in a 14 page thread.  It would give more of us the opportunity to read your posts and answer questions.

Thank you for your suggestion

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

As I said previously, the question of whether or not to have the Yellow Fever vaccination, or any other vaccinations/boosters, is a matter for discussion between the individual and their health advisor. 

In my opinion, the discussion is between Regent and their passengers.  It is clear (at least in the U.S. ) that a booster is not required.  They do not say "may not be required".  

Also, no one has ever posted on CC that a letter on a physician's letterhead prevented them from entering any country.  

Anna201213 - Still think that this discussion would be better on a new thread.

Thanks flossie009, 1982CruzStart & Travelcat2.  That makes sense regarding yellow fever. My only comment is that it isn't really relevant what the authorities in the US, UK or Australia say regarding Yellow fever. It is relevant however what rules apply in Togo & Ghana etc. I have an 'expired' yellow fever certificate - now acceptable in our countries as we recognise lifelong immunity. Not sure if that is going to be any good in Togo though. I will wait to see what Regent says - they haven't mentioned anything yet but it is 22 months until embarkation. I assume that visas all went smoothly as no-one has mentioned having an issue? On previous cruises I have done visas have been either organised by the cruise line (say for Vietnam) or issued on arrival (Egypt, Jordan) or not required.

Edited by candrey

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In my opinion, the discussion is between Regent and their passengers.  It is clear (at least in the U.S. ) that a booster is not required.  They do not say "may not be required".  

As I confirmed previously, I agree that Yellow Fever boosters are not required. This is internationally accepted. 

My references to boosters were with reference to other vaccinations (such as Tetanus, Hepatitis, Typhoid etc.). 

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Also, no one has ever posted on CC that a letter on a physician's letterhead prevented them from entering any country.  

................. but why take the risk? It should not be difficult for a doctor to obtain and complete the internationally recognised form.

I note that the CDC advises a 'belt & braces approach' by suggesting the official form of waiver and a clinician's letter explaining the reason for the exemption

From memory, the majority of discussions about Yellow Fever vaccination and certification that I have read on CruiseCritic have centred around cruises in Central and South America, particularly those travelling up the Amazon. As noted in post 338, Brazil does not require Yellow fever certification to enter the country. 

However, a number of the countries on the West African itinerary being discussed do have Yellow Fever certification as an entry requirement. Since some of the ports only see two or three cruise ships per year who knows how pedantic a local immigration official might be.

@candrey

Your 'expired' Yellow Fever certificate is internationally recognised according to the World Health Organisation.

However, should you be concerned then best to discuss with your doctor and Regent to ensure that no supplementary certification is required. You will certainly not need another Yellow Fever jab.

We have been to the Amazon and South America on Regent (going to South America again in two weeks) and have not had issues with Yellow Fever vaccinations or certification.  In fact, many people on our Amazon cruise were upset that they spent the money and risked their health by having the vaccination.  We also did not have issues in Africa.

In terms of an 'expired' Yellow Fever certificate, this vaccination was given to babies when I was born.  Many of us do not have any type of proof that we have had this vaccination (except for the scar on our arm).   

Note:  Local doctors in our state do not carry nor can they get an "official waiver form".  There are special places where these forms are available.  If it is convenient to get one, by all means get one.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

We have been to the Amazon and South America on Regent (going to South America again in two weeks) and have not had issues with Yellow Fever vaccinations or certification.  In fact, many people on our Amazon cruise were upset that they spent the money and risked their health by having the vaccination.  We also did not have issues in Africa.

In terms of an 'expired' Yellow Fever certificate, this vaccination was given to babies when I was born.  Many of us do not have any type of proof that we have had this vaccination (except for the scar on our arm).   

Note:  Local doctors in our state do not carry nor can they get an "official waiver form".  There are special places where these forms are available.  If it is convenient to get one, by all means get one.

I think you may be referring to a small pox vaccination, not yellow fever, TC2.  Yellow fever has always been a single intramuscular shot for over 70-80 years so no scar, and to my knowledge, was never given to babies (in the U.S.)

29 minutes ago, DocJames said:

I think you may be referring to a small pox vaccination, not yellow fever, TC2.  Yellow fever has always been a single intramuscular shot for over 70-80 years so no scar, and to my knowledge, was never given to babies (in the U.S.)

Guess my infant memories aren't so good.  So, it is fair to say that most of us have not had the Yellow  Fever vaccination in their life?  

Thanks for your post (note:  just started a new thread on this topic in hopes of getting actual experiences instead of reading obsolete articles on the internet).  

20 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Guess my infant memories aren't so good.  So, it is fair to say that most of us have not had the Yellow  Fever vaccination in their life?  

Thanks for your post (note:  just started a new thread on this topic in hopes of getting actual experiences instead of reading obsolete articles on the internet).  

I have had at least 4 Yellow fever innoculations, starting when I was 10.  So in 1952.  Why? I lived in central Africa for years and then had to travel to places that required it.  It is a single “shot”.  And I certainly had no reaction.  It lasts 10 years.  The only “problem” with it is it is a live vaccine and once a bottle is opened it has to be given or it “expires” so you have to get it at something like a local Board of Health on a certain day and time so they can maximise the number of people who get it.

the Smallpox vaccine used to leave a scar.  But since Dr Henderson of the WHO “eliminated “ smallpox as a disease no one gets that vaccine anymore.  It and the disease it controlled is redundant!!

26 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes, fair to say unless we lived in or traveled to places (including military) where yellow fever is prevalent.  Good idea to start a separate thread as it is an important topic.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:29 AM, Travelcat2 said:

You might not have had issues, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near a good idea to travel to South America without a yellow fever shot. Last year, the first visible sight on the tender pier in Ihla Grande, Brazil was a huge sign with a painting of a gigantic mosquito, accompanied by the anything-but-encouraging words “Yellow Fever Zone.” 

Call me crazy, but I was glad we got the shot.