Explorer Lisbon to Cape Town Nov 28 until dragged kicking & screaming off

1982CruzStart

The one of the elephant isn't great but if you look hard you can  see it. With luck I will have a better one to post after this afternoon.  

20181223_103317.thumb.jpg.4596de7397ba6fb4a88e10e08b862d65.jpg

Our private plunge pool. 

Forgot to mention that we woke to the pitter patter of little feet on our deck.  Monkey feet that is.  When we opened the blind over the front door there was a monkey perched on our deck chair looking in. We also had to watch for other little gifts as we walked up to the lodge. 

We took a pre-cruise safari and joined Explorer the day you left.  We had similar problems with lack of communications, especially regarding luggage.  Didn't know there was a limit to what we could take on the safari until the afternoon before.  I had to spend about 2 hours separating and repacking all our necessities into 1 suitcase for 2 of us.  We tried to get info/details from the local rep but she was extremely unhelpful, almost rude.  Later we found out that we could have brought 1 bag EACH.  One member of the group brought 2 bags, insisting she  needed one bag for her medicine.  

One of the local reps told us we were all supposed to have the pre-safari dinner all together at the hotel.  But no one told any of us so we showed up at our leisure and had dinner separately.  More miscommunication. 

We didn't let it diminish our safari, but feel that Regent needs to figure out how to give the same, specific info to all guests with sufficient notice.  I don't care if the problem is with the local agent (Akorn) or Regent.  We paid Regent for the cruise so we plan to complain to them.

1982Cruzstart, I'm glad you enjoyed the safari. We did it three years ago prior to Cape Town to Cape Town cruise. We stayed at Eagles Crag which is also part of Shamwari. The lodge was very luxurious. It was our second safari we loved it. Like you, we had evening drive, then morning and evening drive, and we had to leave early in the morning. I find watching animals in the wild fascinating. Safe travels home and Merry Christmas. We board the Explorer Feb 1st for South America cruise.

Forevertravel

We also stayed at Eagles Crag - it was lovely.  

Love the animal photos.  You were fortunate to see the leopard - we looked and looked but it alluded us.  

A couple that boarded Explorer for the Cape Town to Rio sailing also stayed at Bayethe Lodge and loved it.

In terms of how excursions are handled, you and I disagree somewhat.  Regent customers do not like being treated like children (even if they act like it sometimes).  With the exception of ports where there is no room to wait, let the passengers check in - get their bus tickets and wait wherever they want to for the bus.  Regent will never be able to coral their passengers like sheep.

Our disembarkation from Explorer went very smoothly.

We did not queue up in the theatre but simply left the ship at the time stated on our papers.

Very sad to be off the ship after a fabulous cruise, but the upside is having access to high speed internet 🙂. The Wi-FI access on Explorer was very poor this cruise.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:41 AM, beaujolais said:

We join Explorer on Jan 6th but do the "Winelands and Wildlife Tour" previous to embarking

Any observations or tips with regards the tour would be most appreciated

The 3 day tour is organised by the local company, Akorn.

We have now completed 2 of the 3 days and can report as follows:

Positives

• Accomodation at the Westin Hotel is very good, with comfortable, well appointed rooms. Daily breakfast is excellent.
  • Buses are modern, comfortable, efficient A/C and only partially filled with guests
  • Most of the locations visited have been stunningly beautiful
  • The picnic lunch today at the wine estate was exemplary 

Negatives

• Over 200 people, on 7 buses, all visiting the same places at the same time is not always a luxury experience
  • The first night “Welcome Dinner” at the Westin was simply a buffet in the hotel restaurant. Nice but nothing special
  • Exploring Stellenbosch on Sunday afternoon just before Xmas was somewhat of a waste of time - everywhere closed

Some photos from the two days thus far:

08114008-652B-49EF-9004-7A3E7523254F.thumb.jpeg.6b9ceae928d270987ac8cc47bb1f6602.jpeg

Penguins at Boulders Beach

7B6B8471-2670-43AD-A614-BFF5BED20C12.jpeg.f352b7ed843028406579a5f55fbab468.jpeg

C433275A-4896-461E-9F4A-2A2558A3D3E8.jpeg.8d2162b560e28a2e185f6fa209d171a4.jpeg

Winery tour & lunch

E1022247-BF0D-452A-A1C1-018560A2F0DE.jpeg.841e3fe4e016a0587b01a2f6293ce670.jpeg

2B264A29-246F-48B1-AC87-6FB88404DE16.thumb.jpeg.4599514f6dbf4cb1f1c65a90ba9bc4b8.jpeg

AD3DF57D-DEBC-49E9-AACB-78C7D8CFC946.jpeg.b4666ed220abfcfb06c9e859e4234902.jpeg

Stellenbosch

752C8717-6252-4FF8-86FA-B7AEDE494DFC.thumb.jpeg.46ad7ee7b6c18996bc81e6ab6c170edb.jpeg

Will report more after the final day tomorrow, which includes a Game Drive. However I am sure it will not match Kathy’s stunning Safari reports & pictures.

We are back from our safari and when I get a chance I will post some more pictures. We are just trying to grab a bite of lunch & then get organized which should include more pictures & maybe commentary.  As is always the case when you have group bookings you have organized chaos. 

Thanks to all for the comments and following along. 

Our third day on the Winelands & Wildlife tour was excellent.

After an early breakfast we set off for the long 2+ hour coach trip to a private game reserve.

After a welcome drink we boarded 4x4 vehicles for our game drive across a desert landscape.

We encountered rhino, giraffe, lions, zebra, wildebeest, eland, springbok, hippo and elephant.

9161542D-7ABA-4DB6-AF02-1019644F7CE4.thumb.jpeg.10eebd4bea82115b734c943b66f96677.jpeg

2E388077-5B03-4D4A-AEF2-AD7D8A66747C.thumb.jpeg.0fff28da144740761bc060f33bee2e30.jpeg

CE6E6949-3B3A-4380-9457-05E5C56E00FB.thumb.jpeg.fbf77fec18c433e126f4f5f2ab73725a.jpeg

After a good buffet lunch, with much wine & beer, we reboarded the coaches for the journey back to Cape Town.

On the way to and from the Game Reserve we passed through some stunning scenery 

885CA87B-91F4-46BB-BE9B-6BB72F412B41.jpeg.150bde44e00e162b11a03a6da0cfecea.jpeg

Fields of grape vines 

3F31F3F9-A3E5-49A6-82CE-CE23D9F87485.jpeg.29ed13e77302268a7d6005267657e3d7.jpeg

A Township for agricultural workers

853DC51C-DB65-4262-B6F1-34A610644CAF.jpeg.efd0c4c38ac306075a55f9e5f35bd3a6.jpeg

Tonight we will probably go down to the V&A Waterfront with friends.

Then up late tomorrow, check out of the hotel and go to the airport for our Christmas Day overnight flight to London Heathrow.

Edited by flossie009

15 minutes ago, crusin7 said:

Kathy and Susan, you both did a fantastic job with the blog.  It was like an Advent Calendar...every day was a little gift.   I loved it!  Safe travels and Merry Christmas.

Totally agree. Merry Christmas to you all.

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words cruisin7 and jollyjoyce. 

I don't think i can compete with Susan's pictures but we had a fantastic final game drive. We went out early but of course just as the Ranger said it is harder to find animals in the heat. Unlike us they aren't stupid and they hide in the shade when it is hot out.

We were getting pretty downtrodden after 1 - 2 hours as we had trouble finding anything.  We finally did find some elephants that were down in the river valley but a long way away.  But at least we saw elephants so that was great. We went in search of a rhino and the elusive leopard.  We travelled a large portion of the 65,000 acres with no luck.  Finally with a note of frustration in his voice our ranger asked us what we wanted to do. I think he was as sad about not finding anything as we were. There was a definite quietness on our truck.  He suggested we go and try and find elephants again. Off we went. 

Nothing around but heard there were some hippos playing down in the river valley. Headed there. Again a long way down but we got to see those very large impressive beasts at least in part. 

Back to trying to find the elephants.  Things turned totally around.  We came across a small herd walking close to the road. It was great.  While there our ranger got a call that there was a leopard just laying out and if we wanted to try and see it we had to go now. No contest. Let's go. 

Well we went down the hill and laying there just as calm and happy as can be, right out in the open was a beautiful leopard. Couldn't believe it.  The one thing i really hoped to see this time. Here it was just hanging out.  We took a thousand pictures and if i can find one that is decent i will post it.  It was one of those rare occasions.   We were going to head back to the elephants but by then there were too many trucks there already. They have a limit as to how many vehicles can be near animals at any one time so they don't stress the animals. 

We needed to leave and give someone else a chance to see that wonderful cat.  So off we went again to try and find a rhino.   We agreed to give up our sundowner break to keep trying to find it.  Well we did it.  A lone male that we were able to get pretty close to though when our ranger sneezed we thought it might be a problem.  His head went up and looked in our direction but he decided we were not a threat and went back to munching away. 

Our night had turned around to be excellent. Could it get any better. Well maybe not better but the perfect topping on the cake.  As we went back our ranger found a cheetah out on the plain with a group of giraffes. Of course they were the key as they were all standing still and looking in the direction of the predator.  Now a cheetah really can't take down a giraffe but they were wary regardless. 

It was unreal. Watching this beautiful cat walk by this group of giraffes on his way to the watering hole.  At one point there was the roar of a lion and all turned toward that sound, paying attention to how close it may have been.    When the roar stopped the giraffes went back to carefully watching the cheetah make his way.  We hear a springbok cry out a warning as well.  How magical to see & hear this. 

From being slight disheartened to being on top of the world. 

The hotel in  CT is fine but had the usual issues when you try and check in 2 busloads of people. Not all rooms were ready so some happy and some not so happy campers.  We lucked out and got a room. 

We were exhausted after 3 nights of little to no sleep and early mornings so we just hung out around the room. I have the momumental task of re-balancing our suitcases so we can get home with minimum damage to the pocket book. The  suitcases were full when we came so  trying to repack with some additional items is proving a bit of a challenge.  This too shall pass and somehow i will make it work. 

On 12/23/2018 at 6:00 PM, Travelcat2 said:

We also stayed at Eagles Crag - it was lovely.  

Love the animal photos.  You were fortunate to see the leopard - we looked and looked but it alluded us.  

A couple that boarded Explorer for the Cape Town to Rio sailing also stayed at Bayethe Lodge and loved it.

In terms of how excursions are handled, you and I disagree somewhat.  Regent customers do not like being treated like children (even if they act like it sometimes).  With the exception of ports where there is no room to wait, let the passengers check in - get their bus tickets and wait wherever they want to for the bus.  Regent will never be able to coral their passengers like sheep.

TC - that first photo (on p 7) was not a leopard.  It was a cheetah...  solid spots.  Leopards have "hollow spots"...  as you can see from the photo above - which indeed is a leopard!

Gerry

Edited by Hambagahle

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

TC - that first photo (on p 7) was not a leopard.  It was a cheetah...  solid spots.  Leopards have "hollow spots"...  as you can see from the photo above - which indeed is a leopard!

Gerry

Thank you Gerry.  I appear to be on a roll today -- getting everything wrong.  We did see cheetahs but not the leopard.

9 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you Gerry.  I appear to be on a roll today -- getting everything wrong.  We did see cheetahs but not the leopard.

When we lived in Rhodesia (Northern and now Zambia) cheetah were categorised by the government as "vermin" because they attacked farmers' cattle etc.  And there was a bounty of about 5/- on their heads (Is that how one wrote "shillings"  ?? I forget!)  My father used to hunt them.  Looking back on this - it was a crime not a public service!

A very Happy Christmas to all our cruising and CC friends. 

Thank you to those who followed along with this blog. If there are any more questions about Explorer, the ports of call or the post cruise experiences in Cape Town please ask.

Last night we had a super meal (seafood platter accompanied with SA Sauvignon Blanc) alongside the waterfront. A very enjoyable evening.

This morning was a leisurely breakfast & final packing. Our transfer to the airport is scheduled for 3pm.

When we are home, we will try to reflect on the cruise and provide a summary of our thoughts on what has been a very enjoyable & memorable experience.

What a lovely Christmas gift to see all those wonderful pictures this morning as I sit with my coffee and Christmas morning champagne.

Looking forward to our Carribean first Regent cruise on Jan 7th.

Hope o be able to do a Cape Town cruise in the not too distant future.

Well we have definitely been pulled kicking & screaming off our vacation.  Now comes the really sucky part. Airports & flights. Many long hours ahead of us. 

Our transfer from the hotel was totally unexpected.  We thought we would be in a van or bus with others catching a flight around the same time.  We went down early ,as we always do, got checked out & settled in for a bit of a wait.  Well not so much.  We had a van alright but one just for us & it was there over 30 minutes early. No prob, off we went but with a little trepidation as I couldn't find a domestic business lounge online. 

Silly me. 

We checked in quickly & off to the lounge.  Gosh we had only 4 hours to wait. A drink or two & a little snack (no lunch) and settled in. An another couple from yvr dropped in a while later with stories of not being able to get their boarding passes for jnb on. 

We had some good laughs once straightened out.

For a while we thought the 8 of us from Regent were the only ones on the 737. There were a whole  15 in economy.  

After spending 24 days on board we met 4 people from our city. Had seen them around the ship but no idea they were from our small city. 

Now in the lounge in jnb with an hour or so until boarding. 

Will come back later with some more thoughts. 

The flights home were long but okay. The only downside was the last flight that was an hour late leaving YVR. Something we didn't need after 30 plus hours but that is the price we pay if we want to go to interesting places like Africa. 

Don't really suffer from jetlag, fortuntately, but am still trying to catch up on my sleep as i had quite a number of days without much sleep before we even started the flights.  Back in the regular routine pretty much. A fun day of doing laundry yesterday.  

We are off to have Christmas dinner at my DS's place tonight with them and close friends.  They were alone for Christmas and the friends were away as well so we decided the 6 of us would do Christmas dinner tonight. Looking forward to turkey and all the trimmings. 

Will come back with my final thoughts in a day or two. 

Thanks to Susan for being my partner in crime in keeping this thread going and to Catpow for her contributions.  Also thanks to everyone who read it and those who responded to it. I appreciate all of you taking time. 

• Like 1

We're back after our 40 hour ordeal, and a couple of days inevitable jet lag.  Thanks to Flossie who we saw and chatted to throughout the cruise and 1982 CruzStart who we finally met just before we flew to Port Elizabeth for our safari.  Our Safari at Kariega Settlers Drift was just astonishing.  There was just one other couple from the Explorer and it was a very small establishment anyway.  Our guide was personable and knowledgeable and although we saw no leopards (or cheetahs for that matter), we did get plenty of exposure to both black and white rhino, elephants, zebra, giraffes, hippos and any number of assorted antelope.  Perhaps the highlight was the white rhino Thandi who was rescued from poachers in 2012 - the only rhino to have survived such an attack - who now has two 'babies'.  The accommodation and facilities were exemplary and the cake and the effort made to celebrate my husband's birthday (the entire kitchen staff, some still wearing their hair nets, sang 'Happy Birthday' in English, Afrikaans and Xhosa in harmonies we've not heard before) was much appreciated, as was the specially made cake.  

The hotel In Cape Town used by Regent, the Cullinan Sun, was fairly average.  It was packed with holiday makers and the breakfast queue resembled Disneyland.  Some fellow travellers had the foresight to book Xmas Eve dinner at the historic Mount Nelson Hotel (thanks to concierge Jeffrey on the Explorer for facilitating this) and we joined them. This was just delightful, and quite British in tradition (crackers with tacky jokes and gifts, pudding, way too much food), but with a South African twist.

Overall, we just loved the cruise: we met many interesting people, Captain Serena was a delight and the broad range of passengers made for a great dynamic.  The itinerary is not for everyone; many of the ports were unused to large tour groups, but for us this added to the interest.  We were on display as much as the sights in some ports.  

Now we're unpacked, washing done and souvenirs distributed we can relax and finally book our excursions for our next cruise in August.  Fortunately Alessio, the Explorer barista, will be with us then to make our 'flat whites'.

Below are some random safari pics (Thandi is the white rhino with no horn, the black rhino has a horn as they're much harder for poachers to find), plus our post-dessert Xmas goodies stand at Mt Nelson Hotel.  

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2359.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

• Like 3