Tipping Scandinavia/Russia

chris9757

I'm getting conflicting information about tipping tour guides and drivers, as well as occasionally paying for the use of a public restroom in Scandinavia.  I really don't want to exchange for all these different currencies in these different countries, and try to keep up with the exchange rates.    One site told me tipping in euros is acceptable for this, although those countries don't use the euro.  What are the options for tipping?  Euro?  USD?  Other options?  We are using independent tour companies all the way.

1 hour ago, chris9757 said:

I'm getting conflicting information about tipping tour guides and drivers, as well as occasionally paying for the use of a public restroom in Scandinavia.  I really don't want to exchange for all these different currencies in these different countries, and try to keep up with the exchange rates.    One site told me tipping in euros is acceptable for this, although those countries don't use the euro.  What are the options for tipping?  Euro?  USD?  Other options?  We are using independent tour companies all the way.

I have read people don’t tip in Europe.

9 minutes ago, mrandmrsdd said:

We tipped US& for St. Petersburg, kroner for Denmark and Iceland because we were there 3-5 days and did our own things in other countries,  so no tipping then. 

Great info!  Thanks!

Imo it’s inconsiderate to be tipping in a currency other than your own.  If you were a tour guide in Alabama what would you do with a handful of Rubles  from a Russian tourist?

Edited by tanyaewa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We booked all of our excursions through Princess and tried to tip in the currency of the country we were touring.  There is a machine on the ship for exchanging money for the countries you will be visiting while on your cruise (there is an additional charge to do this, but we felt it was worth it to not have to seek out an ATM after we got on a tour).  A few of the countries take Euros, but most have their own currency (Kroner, Ruble, etc.).  In St. Petersburg our guides on both days indicated that they were happy to take U.S. dollars for tips, but other guides preferred the currency of their own country.  I downloaded a currency exchange app on my phone which was very helpful since we were in so many different countries and using so many different currencies.

Regarding the coins for restrooms, we did encounter that problem - twice!  In Germany we had some Euro paper money, but no Euro coins, so we went to a bank to get change.  They wouldn't give us change because we didn't belong to that bank (naturally), but the nice young lady at the reception desk took pity on us and let us use their bathroom.  In Norway we needed a coin for a public restroom at the Sculpture Garden and our tour guide gave us a Norwegian coin to use there, so we tipped him extra with Norwegian paper money at the end of the tour to compensate.  

• Haha 1

I think in St Petersburg tipping in US dollars is ok. 

But in EU countries that aren’t in the Eurozone it’s not ok. If someone tipped me in Euros I’d be unhappy about it as I’d have to find somewhere to exchange it and most exchanges won’t exchange sums under a certain amount. And then they charge a fee which the person you’ve tipped ends up paying. 

Tipping is done in Europe. 10% is usually the norm so less that the States. But it is done. The days when tipping wasn’t done in europe are long over. It’s not “required” in the same way as it is in the states as everyone gets a minimum wage and so not everyone tips but it is a low wage and it’s polite to do so (as long as you get good service - not if you don’t. You’re rewarding good service rather than an expectation that the customer is supplementing wages). 

We just withdraw small amounts of cash from an ATM. But in most places you can add the tip by card when you pay eg if the bill comes to 18 you can usually say “make it 20”. 

Nb this will vary from country to country in Europe but if you apply this standard you should be fine. 

Edited by claudiniusmaximus
  • Haha 1

In St. Petersburg we tipped the tour guide in US$. In Tallin and Warnamunde I think I remember also tipping the tour guide with US$. In Finland we purchased the bus transfer to the downtown market square with US$, but have lots of singles as they don't give change. In Sweden we took a Princess tour and tipped in US$. We started our cruise in Copenhagen where we stayed for 3 days. We purchased Danish Kroner at the ATM and used that for some expenses and tips. We also used a credit card. For the train to Malmo and the canal ride we were able to pay in US$. In Malmo we used a credit card for lunch and added a tip. 

• Haha 1

I don’t mean to disagree with you skynight but I’m a bit worried you might give the OP the impression that it’s perfectly easy or normal or acceptable or widespread to pay in dollars in Europe as it isn’t. 

You mentioned paying for the train to Malmo in dollars which surprised me so I just double checked the copenhagen tourism website and it says you can only pay in Danish krone. Maybe you paid by card and it converted it? 

You also mentioned paying for the bus in Finland in dollars. Do you mean the shuttle transfer from the ship? As that will be different. But you can’t just pay for transport in finland (or anything in Finland) routinely in dollars any more than you could pay in euros in America for instance. 

I dont dispute you tipped in Germany and Sweden and Estonia in dollars but trust me it’s exactly the same as if we were to tip our New York tour guide in pounds. Germany is one of the worlds biggest economies, Sweden is a wealthy developed country and they have their own currency which is not the dollar. I don’t mean to be rude but it’s bad form to tip in a foreign currency in most places in Europe.  As someone who used to work in restaurants a tip in a foreign currency is as bad as not tipping at all. 

There are places in the world where dollar is favoured over local currency or at least accepted but Europe isn’t one of them. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, claudiniusmaximus said:

I don’t mean to disagree with you skynight but I’m a bit worried you might give the OP the impression that it’s perfectly easy or normal or acceptable or widespread to pay in dollars in Europe as it isn’t. 

You mentioned paying for the train to Malmo in dollars which surprised me so I just double checked the copenhagen tourism website and it says you can only pay in Danish krone. Maybe you paid by card and it converted it? 

You also mentioned paying for the bus in Finland in dollars. Do you mean the shuttle transfer from the ship? As that will be different. But you can’t just pay for transport in finland (or anything in Finland) routinely in dollars any more than you could pay in euros in America for instance. 

I dont dispute you tipped in Germany and Sweden and Estonia in dollars but trust me it’s exactly the same as if we were to tip our New York tour guide in pounds. Germany is one of the worlds biggest economies, Sweden is a wealthy developed country and they have their own currency which is not the dollar. I don’t mean to be rude but it’s bad form to tip in a foreign currency in most places in Europe.  As someone who used to work in restaurants a tip in a foreign currency is as bad as not tipping at all. 

There are places in the world where dollar is favoured over local currency or at least accepted but Europe isn’t one of them. 

Train to Malmo - We did indeed purchase the RT fare at the main train station in US$. It was an option when we were there. The same option was also available for the canal tour. In this way we saved our limited supply of Danish Kroner for other purchases, and managed our credit card billing. 

In Finland there was a shuttle bus to Market Square. You could purchase the RT in Euros or US$. If you used US$ there was no change. I think it was US$3 RT. We did not pay for public transit in US$. We used Euros to pay for some food & drink and some gifts. In Germany and Estonia we took SPB tours which were paid for upfront in US$ and when we checked with their office we were informed that we could tip the tour guide in US$. In Sweden we took a Princess tour. As far as I saw most of us on the tour tipped in US$. This is a common practice when taking a ship's tour.

At the restaurant in Malmo we used a credit card and added the tip to the bill. We were charged in Swedish Kroner. In Copenhagen we used Danish Kroner and credit cards, no US$, except for the fares mentioned.

I don't believe we were rude at all. We pay special attention to what is acceptable in the countries we visit. Tour guides that contract with cruise ships are used to receiving cash tips in different hard currencies, and we always are generous and allow for their loss when exchanging.

By the way, when we were in the UK on different trips we did use only GBP, no US$.

Edited by skynight
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Train to Malmo - We did indeed purchase the RT fare at the main train station in US$. It was an option when we were there. The same option was also available for the canal tour. In this way we saved our limited supply of Danish Kroner for other purchases, and managed our credit card billing. 

In Finland there was a shuttle bus to Market Square. You could purchase the RT in Euros or US$. If you used US$ there was no change. I think it was US$3 RT. We did not pay for public transit in US$. We used Euros to pay for some food & drink and some gifts. In Germany and Estonia we took SPB tours which were paid for upfront in US$ and when we checked with their office we were informed that we could tip the tour guide in US$. In Sweden we took a Princess tour. As far as I saw most of us on the tour tipped in US$. This is a common practice when taking a ship's tour.

At the restaurant in Malmo we used a credit card and added the tip to the bill. We were charged in Swedish Kroner. In Copenhagen we used Danish Kroner and credit cards, no US$, except for the fares mentioned.

I don't believe we were rude at all. We pay special attention to what is acceptable in the countries we visit. Tour guides that contract with cruise ships are used to receiving cash tips in different hard currencies, and we always are generous and allow for their loss when exchanging.

By the way, when we were in the UK on different trips we did use only GBP, no US$.

By any chance did you catch the train to Malmo from the airport? I guess it might be more flexible from there? 

Thanks for clarfiying that it was a port shuttle bus not public transport in finland.

And I didn’t mean to call you rude. Sorry if it did. 

But please, for anyone who stumbles across this post and ends up under the impression from some posts that the dollar can be used widely in Europe to pay for transport, meals, shopping or welcomed by all service staff as tips etc it’s just not true.

I know that in the past the dollar was practically an international currency but not for some time now. It’s a bit like when we Brits travel all over the world expecting everyone to speak English 😂

Also consider that if you tip a tour guide say, $20, it’s only actually worth 17.50€. Then they have to pay an agency to convert (including going to the trouble of doing so) it so might only come out with two thirds of the value. 

If you tip a waiter or waitress $2 or 3 it’s almost worthless. 

Just imagine someone from Paris turning up at a restaurant in Phoenix AZ and asking to pay (and tip) in Euros. 

As a European myself I am speaking from a European perspective about Europe only. Not for the rest of the world. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skynight said:

In Finland there was a shuttle bus to Market Square. You could purchase the RT in Euros or US$. If you used US$ there was no change. I think it was US$3 RT.

Ps I wish I’d know about that shuttle bus when we were in Helsinki. We usually wait until we reach port and use the ATM when we get there to draw out local currency. On most of the ports on the Princess Baltic’s we were able to charge to our cabin (and it routinely cost us a shockingly high - we thought - €30 or so for a couple).

But when we got to Helsinki there were huge queues to get on the shuttles and they only accepted cash and we didn’t have enough euros in change and of course being a Baltic tour we didn’t have any dollars on us at all. 

€3 RT is much more reasonable. There were loads of complaints about the shuttle buses so maybe Princess took note. Hope so. 

1 hour ago, claudiniusmaximus said:

Ps I wish I’d know about that shuttle bus when we were in Helsinki. We usually wait until we reach port and use the ATM when we get there to draw out local currency. On most of the ports on the Princess Baltic’s we were able to charge to our cabin (and it routinely cost us a shockingly high - we thought - €30 or so for a couple).

But when we got to Helsinki there were huge queues to get on the shuttles and they only accepted cash and we didn’t have enough euros in change and of course being a Baltic tour we didn’t have any dollars on us at all. 

€3 RT is much more reasonable. There were loads of complaints about the shuttle buses so maybe Princess took note. Hope so. 

When we were there the shuttle to market square was right at the pier and there was a desk where they were selling RT tickets. They were accepting US$, but did not give change and no coins. So you had to have singles. The line was long to pay and to leave, but not too long. No issues on the return.

1 hour ago, claudiniusmaximus said:

By any chance did you catch the train to Malmo from the airport? I guess it might be more flexible from there? 

No. We took the train from the main station which is right next to Tivoli. Our hotel was nearby. 

14 hours ago, tanyaewa said:

Imo it’s inconsiderate to be tipping in a currency other than your own.  If you were a tour guide in Alabama what would you do with a handful of Rubles  from a Russian tourist?

I guess if Childersburg,  Alabama, was a tourist destination, with tourism bringing an influx of capital and jobs into the area, maybe there would be systems in place to convert whatever currency was tendered.   If our jobs were created and supported by visiting Russians, I think I would say bring the rubles!!!   I was asking because I didn't know - I never suggested that other currencies be used.  I was seeking clarification regarding conflicting information.  And ... the results are still conflicting.  lol

By Rick Steves

Here's a tip: Don't stress over tipping.

While tips are appreciated no matter where you travel, tipping in Europe isn't as automatic nor as generous as it is in the United States, and in many countries, they're not expected at all. The proper amount depends not only on the country you're in, but, just as in the US, on your resources, tipping philosophy, and the circumstances.

Restaurants

Restaurant tips are more modest in Europe than in America. At restaurants, check the menu to see if service is included; if it isn't, a tip of 5–10 percent is normal. In most places, 10 percent is a big tip. If your bucks talk at home, muzzle them on your travels. As a matter of principle, if not economy, the local price should prevail. Please believe me — tipping 15 or 20 percent in Europe is unnecessary, if not culturally ignorant.

Tipping is an issue only at restaurants that have waiters and waitresses. If you order your food at a counter (in a pub, for example), don't tip.

19 hours ago, mtmorrisgirl said:

A few of the countries take Euros, but most have their own currency (Kroner, Ruble, etc.).  In St. Petersburg our guides on both days indicated that they were happy to take U.S. dollars for tips, but other guides preferred the currency of their own country.

At one Russian port we were at the vendors at the pier refused to take Rubles. Would only accept US$.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:41 AM, tanyaewa said:

both euros and US dollars are equally welcome in Russia. However, they want them to be rather new-ish and crispy-ish.

And, in general, it's not a tipping kind of culture, but tourism business is different and nobody ever says - no, thanks, I don't want a tip.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy