Is the $50 deposit the best deal?

gemduncan

I’m thinking of booking Breeze cruise on March  21, 2020 for Eastern Caribbean 7 day Ocean Suite. Is the $50 Cyber Monday deal usually the best deal available every year? Or should I wait for better deal?

This will be our first Carnival cruise. We’ve previously done the short cruises on Disney. Love any feedback on the Breeze Eastern Caribbean 7 day, too. It will be my hubby, me, and my daughter will turn 11 on this cruise.

5 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

If you are sure you will keep the sail date would book ES and if price goes down you pay less. $ 50 deposit does nothing for me as we have to pay for cruise anyway

Micah’s Grandad - I’m not 100% sure I will keep this date because my husband doesn’t want to book a cruise so far in advance. But I’m worried that if we wait until even 12 months before the travel date, then the Ocean Suite might be sold out.

8 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Over the years we have booked several cruises with $50 deposits and generally found they were a good deal. I also wait to near the last minute to pay off the cruise in case we have a change in plans and that way we just have the deposit at risk. 

Purvis - thank you! Can I add the travel insurance at a later date? Or do I need to add travel insurance when I initially book the vacation? Also, is travel insurance refundable if we cancel or change our date?

10 minutes ago, gemduncan said:

Purvis - thank you! Can I add the travel insurance at a later date? Or do I need to add travel insurance when I initially book the vacation? Also, is travel insurance refundable if we cancel or change our date?

It depend based on the policy. If you have any preexisting medical conditions, it is usually best to purchase the insurance ASAP within 14 days or so for it to be covered
Insurance can be refundable or non-refundable. It varies on the policy you can purchase. It is transferable to a different cruise once you submit all of the proper paperwork (confirmation of the cancellation, confirmation of new booking, etc)

Edited by shof515

23 hours ago, gemduncan said:

We always buy travel insurance through Travel Guard when we make the deposit. It can be transferred to another cruise if you change the date. I cannot speak to other companies polices but I would check this before I buy. 

On 11/28/2018 at 7:27 PM, gemduncan said:

Micah’s Grandad - I’m not 100% sure I will keep this date because my husband doesn’t want to book a cruise so far in advance. But I’m worried that if we wait until even 12 months before the travel date, then the Ocean Suite might be sold out.

Than do not book ES. We book that way as we are confident the date will work for us but stuff does happen.

1 hour ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Than do not book ES. We book that way as we are confident the date will work for us but stuff does happen.

Agreed.  If there's a decent chance you may not keep the date it's probably not a good idea to book the $50 deposit sale since it's Early Saver.

I also agree with the earlier post about waiting to pay it off until closer to the due date if you do book though so that if you do have to cancel you don't lose as much.  I just booked our January 2020 cruise a few minutes ago and set the remaining money aside in savings marked for Carnival.

Also I just booked travel insurance right afterward as well.  For some particular coverage you have to book within 24 hours if you want a decent price.  🙂

Edited by lbow2006

I just booked our next cruise on the Horizon for Jan 2021 to lock in the rate and only have to pay $50 deposit and also get the $50 on board credit.  I was told that I can purchase the insurance all the way up until final payment and cancel with no penalty as long as we purchase the insurance before canceling.

It never pays to wait to book. Book as soon as itineraries are released, under Early Saver. Then, either prices go up and you are now booked under the lowest rate, or prices go down and you apply for price matches. 

I can tell you, though, that in my experience prices don’t go down that often. Right now the economy is good and Carnival doesn’t have a problem filling up ships. In the past 3 years/8 cruises I have only been able to apply for price drops for two of those. One was for a decent amount in OBC and the other for just a small amount.

Most recently, I booked the Radiance transatlantic the day the itinerary was released, and just a few hours later the price had gone up by $200 and has stayed there since. 

1 hour ago, bakersdozen12 said:

It never pays to wait to book. Book as soon as itineraries are released, under Early Saver. Then, either prices go up and you are now booked under the lowest rate, or prices go down and you apply for price matches. 

I can tell you, though, that in my experience prices don’t go down that often. Right now the economy is good and Carnival doesn’t have a problem filling up ships. In the past 3 years/8 cruises I have only been able to apply for price drops for two of those. One was for a decent amount in OBC and the other for just a small amount.

Most recently, I booked the Radiance transatlantic the day the itinerary was released, and just a few hours later the price had gone up by $200 and has stayed there since. 

I would agree with you on booking under ES but since the OP is unsure that the date will work would not book that way.

On 11/28/2018 at 5:27 PM, gemduncan said:

The Cyber Monday $50 deposit per person is for Super Saver, I believe, which is a non refundable deposit. Worth re-checking. I don't book non refundables, I have too many variables in my life at this time.  But if you are certain you won't need to cancel or change, it can be a great deal.  

Your best bet is to book with the $50 deposit.  Even if it's so far out, you get the room you want and you always can watch for price drops.  Also, there is only a $50 change fee per person if you need to change to a different cruise, so it's not like you will lose all that much.  I booked a cruise this week for next October...furthest out I have ever booked, but I got the room I wanted.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 8:03 PM, Purvis1231 said:

Over the years we have booked several cruises with $50 deposits and generally found they were a good deal. I also wait to near the last minute to pay off the cruise in case we have a change in plans and that way we just have the deposit at risk. 

On Carnival the 50.00 deposits are for early saver rates   and does not apply with other rates.    Booking Early saver rates come with high penalties   you would NOT be able to change your plans.  cancel or make a change without paying 50.00 pp.   and changing your date they keep 200 towards your final payment of the next cruise.  

If you are unsure, you can either do the $50 deposit, or you can book refundable.  We booked for spring break (we think) 2020, but until we get confirmation that our school district has the date we think, we don't want risk the deposits.  We can also switch to nrd and early saver later if it is still cheaper once it is confirmed.