Alaska cruise questions re: dad who can't walk far....

shelldogok

We put down a deposit for our first ever cruise to Alaska taking our children (ages 17, 20, and 22) and my father (age 75).  However, after spending some time with him at Thanksgiving, my husband and I are concerned that this might not be a good idea for him.  

He gets extremely winded after walking about 30 feet.  

How far are the excursion departure sites from the ship?  

I have a feeling we may have to take his scooter (I'm not even sure we can) or figure out renting one (do they even do that?).  

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Shelley

Many shore excursions meet in the theater and are dispatched. If you identify yourself as needing extra time, they will let you go early. Some ports like Skagway, it may be up to 1/2 mile to the pick-up point (at least ours was). 

Rent a scooter for use on the ship. Request an accessible room so that you can actually get the scooter in the room (and not have to leave it in the hall). 

Best/rent to bring a transport chair for use on shore (lighter, easier). And select accessible tours for your father (and maybe something more adventurous for the kids). Alaska is our favorite cruise destination. 

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Edited by BirdTravels

Oakman58:  No, he smoked from the age of 12 to 65.  He's been diagnosed with COPD and he doesn't take care of himself like I think he should.  

Which has started me thinking that maybe he's just not fit enough for a cruise.  It would stink to travel all that way and be confined to the boat and miss out on some great Alaskan excursions.  

Every cruise is going to require walking further than 30 feet.   I  agree,  that renting/purchasing  a transfer chair is needed.   These fold and are lightweight,   easier transporting than a wheelchair.   Scooter rentals unfortunately severely limit your touring options.    A lot more is involved with touring.   

Please come back and give us dates sailing ship to provide more info !

You have put down a deposit - where are your cabins located - may offer better

choice locations of interest to you - - -

Re: Alaska and Shore Excursions

Seeing the glaciers - Glacier Bay Hubbard Sawyer etc. you don't leave the ship.

At Juneau the Mendenhall the tour bus will take you to the Visitors building from there

best be on a ATV wheelchair.

The Mt. Roberts Tram is WC accessible but once at the top very limited.

Ketchikan real easy flat surface tour buses meet real close to the ship/pier

as for the excursions check the tour information guide for accessibility.

Skagway again fairly flat surface but from where the ships are berthed it is not a walk

in the park - The White Pass & Yukon RR has a limited number of cars HC outfitted.

The train to the Canadian Border is not to be missed - there is no getting and off

the train for side excursions. 

I haven't been back to see the pier at Icy Straight Point and its accommodations.

Previously it was a tender port -

Only the PEARL stops there - the BLISS and the JOY have a separate itinerary.

Victoria - the PRIME attraction is the Buchart Gardens that is HC accessible although

the level grading of the walk-way will be a tasking effort - powered scooter recommended. 

At most of the ports you can tour around in a wheelchair or scooter easily visiting

the gift shops - the shore excursion buses meet the ship fairly close by.

Getting on and off the ships at Seattle is as would be expected - assistance is provided

in transiting the gangways.

If boarding end the cruise in Vancouver - there is a whole heck of a lot horizontal travel

to go up and down meeting the gangways and assistance provided here also.

All in all it will be an effort - but you do not have to go all together on each and every

excursion and it would be a shame for one to not take the trip at all - the on deck viewing

can be just as rewarding as some of the shore excursions and depending on the weather

(most tours operate rain or shine snow or gloom of night - helicopter and float plane

exceptions) the cruise will be a memorable one.

Pick and choose wisely the shore excursions - - -

CC Readers will have much to add from their personal experiences - but don't let anything

hold you back from this visit to the USA's Last Frontier - our ancestors would not be amused LOL !

The walks in AK are long, there is simply not way to get around it. In fact the walks in every port are long. If the gentleman can't take his scooter, the idea of a cruise is not going to work if he wants to go ashore.

In fact the walks in the ship are long when you consider than most of them are about 2/10 of a mile long  (1000ft +/-)