Our Brexit Promise

Eglesbrech

Front page article in the Sunday Times today has leaked information form number 10. contingency planning includes advice to not book foreign holidays after next  March and providing compensation to holiday companies  as they may be bankrupted. A leak enquiry is under way.

27 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Front page article in the Sunday Times today has leaked information form number 10. contingency planning includes advice to not book foreign holidays after next  March and providing compensation to holiday companies  as they may be bankrupted. A leak enquiry is under way.

It’s a fascinating article which looks very much to be based on solid inside information. Brexiteers will do what they always do and use the usual mantra of ‘Project Fear ‘. The rest of us (probably now the majority because of the demographic changes since the referendum) will view the increasingly likely outcome of an unruly exit with concern, alarm, horror and sheer amazement that the country should have so taken leave of its senses.

53 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Even if this is not correct / does not come to pass the meare fact that it is in a newspaper will stop some people from booking and some will cancel.

P&O have sold a lot of low cost deposit holidays recently which means it costs customers much less to cancel if people are spooked by articles like this. March holidays will be due for payment at the end of December, not great timing when things like this come out at the same time.

34 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Even if this is not correct / does not come to pass the meare fact that it is in a newspaper will stop some people from booking and some will cancel.

P&O have sold a lot of low cost deposit holidays recently which means it costs customers much less to cancel if people are spooked by articles like this. March holidays will be due for payment at the end of December, not great timing when things like this come out at the same time.

Good point - a 5% deposit loss is a triviality by most holiday standards!  Expect a flood of bargain cruises at some point fairly soon.

Whilst land based holidays in Europe might be affected by a no deal brexit, mainly due to the possible problems that a collapse in Sterling might have on hotel bookings.  However I would have thought that a cruise would be far less likely to have such problems, although shore excursions could be affected but P&O's brexit promise suggests they would cover any costs.  The ETIAS/visa which has been commented on was already in the pipeline for all all non EU countries and will not apply until 2021, this is being implemented due to security issues and not a result of brexit.  So the current passport system should continue to operate until then, for non EU countries which will include the UK, so we should have minimal customs problems.

In fact cruises could become even more popular so expect fluid price increases.

45 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Whilst land based holidays in Europe might be affected by a no deal brexit, mainly due to the possible problems that a collapse in Sterling might have on hotel bookings.  However I would have thought that a cruise would be far less likely to have such problems, although shore excursions could be affected but P&O's brexit promise suggests they would cover any costs.  The ETIAS/visa which has been commented on was already in the pipeline for all all non EU countries and will not apply until 2021, this is being implemented due to security issues and not a result of brexit.  So the current passport system should continue to operate until then, for non EU countries which will include the UK, so we should have minimal customs problems.

In fact cruises could become even more popular so expect fluid price increases.

Exactly.  Nothing is going to happen this coming year at all.

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Exactly.  Nothing is going to happen this coming year at all.

I laud your optimism and would be inclined to agree - but only if we reach agreement on a deal with the EU. If it’s no deal it’s going to have a major impact, not least on going ashore.

Remember - we’ll no longer be EU citizens and may have to queue at passport control rather than just showing a P&O plastic card. The beauty of the present system is the lack of queues - I wonder how long the alternative might take.

18 minutes ago, docco said:

I laud your optimism and would be inclined to agree - but only if we reach agreement on a deal with the EU. If it’s no deal it’s going to have a major impact, not least on going ashore.

Remember - we’ll no longer be EU citizens and may have to queue at passport control rather than just showing a P&O plastic card. The beauty of the present system is the lack of queues - I wonder how long the alternative might take.

As far as I am aware Rocco US citizens are not EU citizens but they don't have to queue to get off in EU ports, you are just peddling hour own project fear.

Exactly - again.  It's people going on about this rubbish that causes chaos.  I would imagine that once you are cleared into one European port that's it for all the others.  Even now when you go into non-european ports in the Med, I don't think I have ever shown my passport.  That;s the reason to fill in Cruise Personaliser so that they have all your details on the pax manifest.

Edited by jeanlyon

Headlines like the one today will spook some people so they won’t book or may cancel. It is a leak allegedly rather than something made up by the paper but you can’t belive everything that you read.

Personally I see cruising as a safer option than a land based holiday until all there is clarity.

42 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As far as I am aware Rocco US citizens are not EU citizens but they don't have to queue to get off in EU ports, you are just peddling hour own project fear.

I love the way 'Project Fear' is used all the time as the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and covering your eyes whenever anyone dares mention the potential consequences of Brexit - much as it was when warnings were issued of the impact on the Pound, and look what's happened to that.  We're all paying more for all our imports (including 50% of the food we eat) as a result of Brexit, and we don't hear much about 'Project Lies' from Johnson and Gove about the mythical £350m pw extra for the NHS which they now admit was a lie.

As to visiting ports, EU countries and the US have reciprocal arrangements to minimise delays at ports.  The UK after Brexit will be entirely on its own and we have no such agreements in place.  It remains to be seen what will happen, but the present system may well stop overnight when we leave.

• 4 weeks later...

Just what will the immigration policy be when we arrive in an EU port in April ? Disembarking 2000 passengers all at once can easily overwhelm a couple of immigration officers if they have to make full passport checks. I presume that we are not initially going to have a visa that could have been pre-checked and issued before arrival. 

My last trip to India was spoilt by the lengthy delays caused by the immigration process. Many cruisers said it was too much hassle and didn't get off the ship. I know India is not part of the EU, but it is a good example of what can happen if the infrastructure is not in place and the pen pushers take over.

The Brexit Promise makes no promises about being able to actually spend any length of time in the ports of call. 

Running excursions requires the accurate planning, and timetabling of transport. If at this stage there is not an immigration protocol in place, how can you possibly offer a  timetable and guarantee passengers that they will be able to go on these trips as advertised if you don't know how long it will take to clear immigration?

When you look at the so-called Brexit Promise it actually promises nothing at all that wasn’t there before we started on this disastrous exercise.  Sounds good, but offers nothing:

“No matter what the future brings, you can rest assured that your holiday with us will always be plain sailing:

• Pay in pounds sterling when booking and on board - avoid potential currency fluctuations and explore Europe without the euros. You can also pay in advance for a range of exciting shore excursions.
  • Sail from Southampton - we have hundreds of holidays sailing direct from the UK, the ultimate way to get your holiday off to a relaxing start.
  • Our 5% deposit offer - complete peace of mind that your holiday is booked ahead at a great price. Our 5% low deposit offer is available for a limited time only.
  • The financial protection of both ATOL and ABTA.
  • More holiday for your money - so much is included as standard, from meals and entertainment to flights and taxes.”

• 3 weeks later...

Not good news from P&O about port visits if we crash out with a no-deal Brexit.  Fingers crossed that doesn't happen - if it does I predict widespread cancellations once the word gets out about delays getting off the ship, and back on again.  Not the way you want to spend a rather short day ashore.

https://www.pocruises.com/brexit/

What about going on shore?

You may need to show your passport (with at least six months left until it expires) to go ashore. 

10 minutes ago, docco said:

Not good news from P&O about port visits if we crash out with a no-deal Brexit.  Fingers crossed that doesn't happen - if it does I predict widespread cancellations once the word gets out about delays getting off the ship, and back on again.  Not the way you want to spend a rather short day ashore.

https://www.pocruises.com/brexit/

You may need to show your passport (with at least six months left until it expires) to go ashore. 

Don’t know what on Earth you are going on about. You have to show your passport now in some ports. That has not changed. You really are stirring things up for no good reasons.

There are many things about Brexit which you should worry about this is not one of them.

you are just winding people up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, daiB said:

Don’t know what on Earth you are going on about. You have to show your passport now in some ports. That has not changed. You really are stirring things up for no good reasons.

There are many things about Brexit which you should worry about this is not one of them.

you are just winding people up.

You're missing the point - and this is not winding people up.  It's simply warning people (including myself) who have cruises booked but may yet want to cancel if it turns out that the present simple (and quick) system of going ashore is replaced by one involving passports across Europe and the rest of the world.

Check the link and you'll find new information from P&O about what will happen in the event of a no-deal Brexit:

P&O Cruises Brexit Q&A

As you well know, that's not the present position for most ports - just a relatively small number.  P&O are warning that it could become much more common - indeed, quite possibly, the norm.

2 minutes ago, docco said:

You're missing the point - and this is not winding people up.  It's simply warning people (including myself) who have cruises booked but may yet want to cancel if it turns out that the present simple (and quick) system of going ashore is replaced by one involving passports across Europe and the rest of the world.

Check the link and you'll find new information from P&O about what will happen in the event of a no-deal Brexit:

P&O Cruises Brexit Q&A

As you well know, that's not the present position for most ports - just a relatively small number.  P&O are warning that it could become much more common - indeed, quite possibly, the norm.

No you are missing the point. I have read this all before I was he one who posted it.

This is no different to what happens now. That is why P&O will no let you on a cruise ship unless you have at least 6 months on your passport. This has been the case for years. 

The information you give P&O is passed on to all port authorities before the ship arrives. This happens at all ports E.U. or not. Some ports still check passports as well.

there is nothing new about the information.

16 minutes ago, daiB said:

No you are missing the point. I have read this all before I was he one who posted it.

This is no different to what happens now. That is why P&O will no let you on a cruise ship unless you have at least 6 months on your passport. This has been the case for years. 

The information you give P&O is passed on to all port authorities before the ship arrives. This happens at all ports E.U. or not. Some ports still check passports as well.

there is nothing new about the information.

Sorry, but this is entirely new advice from P&O - published today.  It has nothing whatever to do with the 6 month rule, but it has everything to do with the likelihood that if we leave without an agreement (and therefore with no transitional arrangements) the present card system will stop overnight and be replaced by a full passport border check at every port.  You might want to look up what David Dingle  (you'll know the name) had to say about the impact of the delays caused by that on cruising.

6 minutes ago, docco said:

Sorry, but this is entirely new advice from P&O - published today.  It has nothing whatever to do with the 6 month rule, but it has everything to do with the likelihood that if we leave without an agreement (and therefore with no transitional arrangements) the present card system will stop overnight and be replaced by a full passport border check at every port.  You might want to look up what David Dingle  (you'll know the name) had to say about the impact of the delays caused by that on cruising.

Can you point to the part of the advice which says the present system will stop. ?????

Well  no you cannot as it’s not there.

On the other hand this what P&O say on your link.

Breaking News: In the event of a no deal Brexit, the UK Government have confirmed cruise holidays will continue on the same basis as today.

Seems clear to me.

21 minutes ago, daiB said:

Can you point to the part of the advice which says the present system will stop. ?????

Breaking News: In the event of a no deal Brexit, the UK Government have confirmed cruise holidays will continue on the same basis as today.

Seems clear to me.

Laughable does anyone really believe what this government says or does about Brexit they have made a complete mess of it and might change their mind by tomorrow.

Edited by majortom10

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Laughable does anyone really believe what this government says or does about Brexit they have made a complete mess of it and might change their mind by tomorrow.

Now I would fully agree with your statement it is a total shambles. Complete and utter shambles. But to claim that the end of the world is nigh. Over cruise passengers visiting ports in Europe is ***********. 

21 minutes ago, daiB said:

Seems clear to me.

If you choose to keep your head in the sand that’s your choice. You’ve picked out the wording which P&O put on their website two or three weeks back, but failed to notice the entirely new wording about needing to show passports at ports visited.

That new wording has never appeared before, and it’s appearing for the first time in a section covering the likely outcomes of Brexit, and particularly a no-deal Brexit.

Do you think they’ve put it there for fun?  Or could it be that they’re concerned about the risk of legal action from customers spending hours queuing at passport control trying to get ashore at ports visited, claiming that they should have been warned.

This is that warning, and P&O will use it to defend any possible claims that cruises have been ruined by time spent queuing at ports, instead of passing freely as we do now with ships’ cards.

6 minutes ago, daiB said:

Now I would fully agree with your statement it is a total shambles. Complete and utter shambles. But to claim that the end of the world is nigh. Over cruise passengers visiting ports in Europe is ***********. 

Nobody, apart from yourself, has suggested any such thing. But there’s a world of difference between wandering on and off a ship as we do now and having to go out via passport control and back the same way.

Check out what the ex-CEO of P&O has to say about what that would do!