Our Brexit Promise

Eglesbrech

20 minutes ago, docco said:

If you choose to keep your head in the sand that’s your choice. You’ve picked out the wording which P&O put on their website two or three weeks back, but failed to notice the entirely new wording about needing to show passports at ports visited.

That new wording has never appeared before, and it’s appearing for the first time in a section covering the likely outcomes of Brexit, and particularly a no-deal Brexit.

Do you think they’ve put it there for fun?  Or could it be that they’re concerned about the risk of legal action from customers spending hours queuing at passport control trying to get ashore at ports visited, claiming that they should have been warned.

This is that warning, and P&O will use it to defend any possible claims that cruises have been ruined by time spent queuing at ports, instead of passing freely as we do now with ships’ cards.

You clearly have no idea about cruising, this comment from P&O,.

What about going on shore?

You may need to show your passport (with at least six months left until it expires) to go ashore. 

This is the situation now what happens now. 

You are taking aim at the wrong problem about Berxit. Of which there are many. On occasions we have had to show our passports both getting off and getting back on the ship. It caused little hold up.

The potential for passport checks after Brexit is no different as to now.  Any port can ask you to show a passport before allowing you ashore.

Two years ago we had to show them at some EU ports to get off and get back on, it was hardly a problem, a matter of a few seconds.

It was certainly quicker than trying to get back into the UK last year at Manchester Airport, almost an hour.

20 hours ago, daiB said:

You may need to show your passport (with at least six months left until it expires) to go ashore. 

You are taking aim at the wrong problem about Berxit. Of which there are many. On occasions we have had to show our passports both getting off and getting back on the ship. It caused little hold up.

My last trip to France required a full passport check getting back on the ship, plus I got searched too. They were going OTT. The queue to get back on the gang plank ran the entire length of the ship for 2 hours before it cleared. I remember saying to myself I'm not going to come back here again.

2 minutes ago, Apial said:

My last trip to France required a full passport check getting back on the ship, plus I got searched too. They were going OTT. The queue to get back on the gang plank ran the entire length of the ship for 2 hours before it cleared. I remember saying to myself I'm not going to come back here again.

La Rochelle?

• Like 1

I had this experience in La Rochelle, AND they wanted me to take off my gold chains, which I couldn't do unaided. After 10 minutes of impasse arguing, I found another lady in the same predicament and we took off and replaced each others'. I told the "officials" in no uncertain terms that I shall not be returning.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:40 PM, daiB said:

On both P&O and RCI their daily newsletters nearly always have said you need to bring your passports ashore but very rarely have we been asked to show them by the port officials.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes La Rochelle seems to be the worst of the French ports. It is as if they take a pride in making things as protracted and difficult as is possible. Shame because the town is nice once you get in.

I agree La Rochelle is a lovely port.

For some reason some French ports go OTT with UK citizens.

Cherbourg is a nice port with no problems.

Zeebrugge (Belgium)is a pain now.

The shuttle used to take you straight to the ship now it drops you at a building just inside the port gates that you've got to walk through and then get on another shuttle to get to the ship.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

On both P&O and RCI their daily newsletters nearly always have said you need to bring your passports ashore but very rarely have we been asked to show them by the port officials.

On our current cruise the horizon has indicated whether we needs to take our passports ashore, only  St Kitts needed it and it was not much slower than the need to always show your cruise card to enter the restricted area. Any major problems in Europe will as now, depend on the attitude of the local officials, there may be an initial issue, but I imagine after several days of backchat from disgruntled UK passengers even the most intransigent will get tired of the abuse.

On our very first cruise in 2011, the first port was La Harve. At the said time for going ashore no one was moving and then a very disgruntled Captain came over the tannoy, he was very annoyed with the French Authorities as they hadn’t turned up to do the required checks. They did eventually turn up and we experienced our first ‘going ashore’ but somewhat later than expected. They made it difficult for us then and will make the whole Brexit transition as difficult as they can. Poo pooing everything Teresa May puts forward 

19 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I agree La Rochelle is a lovely port.

For some reason some French ports go OTT with UK citizens.

Cherbourg is a nice port with no problems.

Zeebrugge (Belgium)is a pain now.

The shuttle used to take you straight to the ship now it drops you at a building just inside the port gates that you've got to walk through and then get on another shuttle to get to the ship.

When did this start at Zebruuge. I don’t even remember there being a building the last time we were there, which would be late 2017. Zeebrugge was always a bit slow anyway just through the number of passenger ships docked there.

How much longer do you estimate it takes and do you happen to know how it works for independent travellers who have a private tour or taxi booked at the port gates?

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

When did this start at Zebruuge. I don’t even remember there being a building the last time we were there, which would be late 2017. Zeebrugge was always a bit slow anyway just through the number of passenger ships docked there.

How much longer do you estimate it takes and do you happen to know how it works for independent travellers who have a private tour or taxi booked at the port gates?

First time was October on Independence of the seas then again December on Oceana.

It is a customs building in a fenced compound.

The shuttle from Blankenburg dropped us off here,we walked through the building which had a couple of shops and security.

We had to show out cruise cards then get another shuttle to the ship.

It took about 10 minutes shuttle to shuttle.

Taxis had to drop passengers here too.

We never used a tour bus so cannot be 100% certain but didn't see any tour buses coming back so they must transfer to the shuttle too.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, grapau27 said:

First time was October on Independence of the seas then again December on Oceana.

It is a customs building in a fenced compound.

The shuttle from Blankenburg dropped us off here,we walked through the building which had a couple of shops and security.

We had to show out cruise cards then get another shuttle to the ship.

It took about 10 minutes shuttle to shuttle.

Taxis had to drop passengers here too.

We never used a tour bus so cannot be 100% certain but didn't see any tour buses coming back so they must transfer to the shuttle too.

We were on Independence in October and went on a ship's excursion. The coach parked at the new building and staff got on board to check cruise cards then the coach carried on to the ship. Probably added 15 minutes in total.

12 minutes ago, petenlynn said:

We were on Independence in October and went on a ship's excursion. The coach parked at the new building and staff got on board to check cruise cards then the coach carried on to the ship. Probably added 15 minutes in total.

Thanks for the clarification for the tour buses in Zebbrugge.

This has happened to us in other ports where security have got on  the tourbus to check our cruise cards.

Edited by grapau27

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, daiB said:

La Rochelle?

Yes, La Rochelle. Got shouted at for putting my arms too high whilst being frisked. The scruffy  security guy didn't even look official. "Lower you arms! This is not a hold up!", "You have a problem?!" Glad I wasn't North African or I probably would have got cuffed. No manners.

Edited by Apial

On 12/15/2018 at 2:04 PM, davecttr said:

The ETAIS has NOTHING to do with Brexit, it will apply to another 60 countries including the USA

BTW I have asked for this topic to be closed.  This is a forum for cruising, not toxic political issues

"BTW I have asked for this topic to be closed.  This is a forum for cruising, not toxic political issues"

Why did you comment on it then bit hypocritical don't you think