Iceland in September

wendyp247

I can't speak to Ireland, but I've been on a land trip to Iceland twice.  The ports there are very small, with the exception of Reykjavik.  Ayekuri is only 12,000 people, and every other 'port" will be a hamlet at best. That means excursion options are very limited.  Most importantly, though, the draw of Iceland is the amazing landscapes, which you won't see much of because you're on a ship.

My advice would be to do a cruise to somewhere else, but plan a few days stopover in Iceland.  IcelandAir lets you do that one one leg of your trip.

We have cruised to Iceland several times in September and generally find it to be a good time.  Have had sunny skies sometimes (2016, port of Isafjoerdoer; 2009--Golden Circle tour), but usually it's been overcast.  No rain, however!  It'll be cool to cold so pack accordingly as all the attractions are outdoors--landscapes, waterfalls, thermal features (like Yellowstone's), shorelines.  We love Iceland!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 7:45 AM, ljandgb said:

My advice would be to do a cruise to somewhere else, but plan a few days stopover in Iceland.  IcelandAir lets you do that one one leg of your trip.

How much time you have on land in Iceland via cruise ship depends on the cruise of course!  Late August/early September of this year my wife and I sailed on Holland America's 20-night Viking Passage.  We nearly circumnavigated Iceland, with port calls in Djúpivogur, Akureyri, Isafjordur, and Reykjavik (where we had an overnight, and two full days ashore, allowing us time to do both the South Coast and Golden Circle tours).  More than a "few days stopover," and we saw plenty.  (Would have seen even more, but our port call in Seydisfjordur was skipped because of weather.) 

enhance

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I agree that the best option will be to have a stopover thro’ Icelandair or Wow. Both airlines offer it for free. We went there for 4 days before flying to London in September for a transatlantic cruise with a stopover in Iceland and another in Greenland.The weather was Just right. We even swim in a natural hot spring out in the wilderness with a long walk from changing area to the water. It was to me more fun then the Blue Lagoon which was all man-made and crowded on the day we were there. There are scattered showers but they didn’t  last long. Lots of attractions are far from any docking areas. The drive were so pleasant. I like it so much that l am going back coming May for a 6 days tour around the island before my next Norway cruise. Actually I never got to dock in Iceland last time for our ship had to change course and skipped Iceland and Greenland. When you are there, don’t forget to try their lobster soup or sandwich and catch of the day. Wish you lots of fun.

• Like 1

I haven’t been there yet but we have booked a cruise that goes there (late August, 2020). I have just been looking at hiring a car to do our own thing. Our ship has two full days in Reykjavik and it has two other ports. There are also many organised tours where you can see inland. 

• Like 1

We've been to Iceland 4 times (3 summer, 1 winter) with our 5th trip planned for September.  It's always a great time to visit.

With a cruise you'll just get a taste for the country, but enough of a taste to plan a trip back there to really get to see the land.  Make sure whatever excursion you take allows you to spend at least a little time interacting with some locals! You never know who you might meet!IMG_8869.thumb.JPG.8b9fdb8f4fbe9979446d3dd80e5c8635.JPG

Where waterproof outer layers!

• Like 4

We were on the same cruise Judith (Turtles06) mentioned in her above post.

If you're interested, I did a photo review of the cruise - with a fair bit of coverage of the great times we had while in Iceland. The Iceland part of the review starts at post #74.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 2:12 PM, GeorgeCharlie said:

We were on the same cruise Judith (Turtles06) mentioned in her above post.

If you're interested, I did a photo review of the cruise - with a fair bit of coverage of the great times we had while in Iceland. The Iceland part of the review starts at post #74.

Bill

Just noticed the link to the review did not post.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2600192-review-of-visits-to-norwayicelandgreenland-on-fall-2018-cruise/

We were in Iceland several years ago in mid September during a TransAtlantic cruise which included  3 separate Iceland ports. Although cold, only one day was rainy  and fortunately it was our second day in Reykjavik which was only a half-day. (My husband and I also spent a week in Iceland independently in 2006) As many have said, just dress in layers. Icelanders joked back in 2006 that they only get 'samples' of weather, and if you don't like what is currently happening, just wait 10 minutes or so. My favorite quote is from a park ranger in Yellowstone who said, "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad attitude and/or inadequate clothing".

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 6:00 AM, Nitemare said:

We've been to Iceland 4 times (3 summer, 1 winter) with our 5th trip planned for September.  It's always a great time to visit.

With a cruise you'll just get a taste for the country, but enough of a taste to plan a trip back there to really get to see the land.  Make sure whatever excursion you take allows you to spend at least a little time interacting with some locals! You never know who you might meet!IMG_8869.thumb.JPG.8b9fdb8f4fbe9979446d3dd80e5c8635.JPG

Where waterproof outer layers!

How to chill out on a beach like a local, yes?

Awesome photo, the black sand looks incredible, as does your sleepy friend 😉 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they are.  You only need total darkness to see them, and there is enough by September.  Late August if you're lucky, though the night is shorter.  There's a 6 minute change to sunrise/sunset every day, and very long twilights.  While end of August technically has twilight all night, locals say it's possible but unlikely to see the NL then.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 6:00 AM, Nitemare said:

IMG_8869.thumb.JPG.8b9fdb8f4fbe9979446d3dd80e5c8635.JPG

Hard to tell from this photo, but I was surprised to find out that the black "sand" is actually pebbles (and not teeny ones either) when we were there a few years ago.  Unfortunately, we didn't see anything as exciting as this walrus.

Some of the black sand beaches are pebbly.  Some are much finer, especially further west.  When the winds hit and the black sand is flying across the roads you get it in your hair and mouth and ears, etc.  And it nicely sandblasts the paint and glass on your rental car!