Coffee

On 12/4/2018 at 7:24 AM, Mixyestspitlik said:

The coffee that is brewed/served on RCCL is horrible. It is bad, nasty, and to boot they have been skimping on the cream and or half and half. For the money that one pays to cruise with the mighty RCCL, you would think that you can at minimum, have good coffee. I have been on several RC cruises, all different ships, and the coffee has been not bueno at all. There are cruisers bringing their own travel size creamers just to make the coffee palatable. I let them know in post survey cruise. I'm sure others have as well. One individual who is Diamond status tells me that it has been that way for years. I also cruise with CCL and I can drink their coffee any time of the day.

LOL. I think that you may want to be a little more discriminating on how you pick your fights.

It taste fine to me. It's just extremely strong. We usually get half hot water & half coffee if not 2/3 & 1/3. That tones it way down & taste 100% better to us. Like it's been said several times before, everyone has different taste. 

On 12/5/2018 at 6:56 PM, cb at sea said:

I think the WJ coffee is worse than Starbucks, if that's possible.  The MDR and room service coffee was more than passable....not great, but it will do for a week.

Agreed.

And on all my cruises in Grandeur, the creamers have half and half, not the fake stuff.

I love coffee but am not super picky.  We just got off Independence.  Most days it was ok..not amazing but not horrible. Thus morning though, last breakfast in windjammer, it was horrible.  Almost tasted burnt.  As soon as we checked into the airport, we stopped at Starbucks.

Edited by LuCruise

On 12/7/2018 at 2:42 PM, CNickMN said:

I take my coffee black, but I've found on Royal I have to put a little milk in the coffee to make it taste OK. Let's just say it's not great coffee. At best, it's a caffeine-delivering system. But I've never tried the room service coffee. I'll have to try that next time. Or maybe I'll switch to tea for the cruise. You can't screw up hot water, right?

Apparently you haven't seen the tea threads 😉 

I'm not too picky about my tea, but there is a difference in how well the tea brews based on the temperature of the water.  Cruise ship water is very rarely near boiling, although Windjammer probably has close to hot enough water.  Room service water will likely taste like coffee and not be very warm.  MDR would be hit or miss.

And if you are a tea snob, the bagged tea (vs. loose leaf) probably wouldn't appeal much.  As I said though, I'm not picky and am just grateful to get a cup of black tea since tea drinkers don't often get as much attention as coffee in my experiences.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:25 PM, Bee Guy said:

LOL. I think that you may want to be a little more discriminating on how you pick your fights.

Fights? Hardly. Merely stating opinion with others doing the same in kind. RCCL  coffee is garbage. This might bother the "loyal to royal" crowd.  They are free to defend their love of RCCL coffee just as I am free to offer scathing criticism of it   No harm done. Regardless,  I will continue to sail RCCL. Their disgusting coffee is not enough of a deterrent to convince me otherwise. I am brininging my own coffee, filters and a collapsable coffee cone from amazon. 

Edited by Mixyestspitlik
extra words

On 12/7/2018 at 2:42 PM, CNickMN said:

I take my coffee black, but I've found on Royal I have to put a little milk in the coffee to make it taste OK. Let's just say it's not great coffee. At best, it's a caffeine-delivering system. But I've never tried the room service coffee. I'll have to try that next time. Or maybe I'll switch to tea for the cruise. You can't screw up hot water, right?

a caffeine-delivering system.......I like that!!

On 12/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

I am a big coffee fan.  My favorites are a skim latte at Peetes, Dunn Bothers, or the Boo (Caribou).  I get the bev package, and I actually like the lattes at Park Cafe...

You are indeed quiet the cafe aficionado....I have never tried any of what you listed. Basic coffee and cream guy...LOL

14 hours ago, Mixyestspitlik said:

Fights? Hardly. Merely stating opinion with others doing the same in kind. RCCL  coffee is garbage. This might bother the "loyal to royal" crowd.  They are free to defend their love of RCCL coffee just as I am free to offer scathing criticism of it   No harm done. Regardless,  I will continue to sail RCCL. Their disgusting coffee is not enough of a deterrent to convince me otherwise. I am brininging my own coffee, filters and a collapsable coffee cone from amazon. 

Oooo, that is a great idea!!  What is your plan for heating the water?  I might want to try this, but I don’t want to use hot tap water...

38 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Oooo, that is a great idea!!  What is your plan for heating the water?  I might want to try this, but I don’t want to use hot tap water...

Suites come with a tea kettle.  If not in a suite, they can probably obtain a tea kettle from the stateroom attendant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Wolecok Silicone Coffee Filter, Collapsible Camping Coffee Dripper Cone, Pour over Coffee Maker Blue

available at Amazon and it is a prime item.. Go to your local grocery store and get #2 cone filters. Bring a few a extra styro cups from home.  The set up is as easy as depicted on the above image....Place your desired amount of coffee in the cone, from a styro cup gently pour hot water...that's it......Fresh cup of coffee each time

Just now, Mixyestspitlik said:

you can use the hot agua from the stations

Wolecok Silicone Coffee Filter, Collapsible Camping Coffee Dripper Cone, Pour over Coffee Maker Blue

available at Amazon and it is a prime item.. Go to your local grocery store and get #2 cone filters. Bring a few a extra styro cups from home.  The set up is as easy as depicted on the above image....Place your desired amount of coffee in the cone, from a styro cup gently pour hot water...that's it......Fresh cup of coffee each time

On 12/4/2018 at 12:28 PM, Host Clarea said:

My wife says the coffee in the MDR is fine.

I fully agree. MDR coffee is much better. It seems to be a totally different blend than Cafe Promenade and Windjammer.

I'm not much of a coffee snob, so I still drink it at Cafe Promenade and Park Cafe, and I do like it, but I much prefer MDR coffee.

You can get very hot water in Cafe Promenade, it's there for the tea, but there's no reason you couldn't use it. You could pack a small French Press, and your favorite coffee. In fact, I might actually start doing that myself 😊

• 1 month later...

I just got off the Enchantment. I was very disappointed that there was no half and half in the Windjammer. No pitchers of milk either. They are really pushing the non-dairy creamer. I asked several people about half and half, but the best they could do was direct me to the hot milk next to the oatmeal. I didn’t want to open up a little milk package just to get enough for coffee

On 12/4/2018 at 6:00 AM, Davebhoy said:

Its a personal taste, thing - I quite like the coffee served on board. Not absolutely top quality, but perfectly drinkable.

When the carafes are being filled constantly in the AM it is very acceptable.  I find the Windjammer coffee in the AM is better than MDR in the evening.   If someone is upset about it - buy a coffee card .

On 1/19/2019 at 9:45 AM, Greythoundmom said:

I just got off the Enchantment. I was very disappointed that there was no half and half in the Windjammer. No pitchers of milk either. They are really pushing the non-dairy creamer. I asked several people about half and half, but the best they could do was direct me to the hot milk next to the oatmeal. I didn’t want to open up a little milk package just to get enough for coffee

They didn't have milk for cereal or for those who drink milk at breakfast?

22 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

They didn't have milk for cereal or for those who drink milk at breakfast?

They said they did not want to open a milk just for some for coffee.

If they only had non-dairy creamer, I would use the milk from the cereal area, and mention it to one of the Food Managers, that this was occurring.