chef's table

runnerswife

We've been lucky enough to do it twice.  First time DH called the Dining Line upon embarkation and the second time we were with a group and someone else handled it.  

Its an amazing, incredible experience but so much food!!!   I would love to get my hands on their recipe for mushroom risotto, it was outstanding.  :classic_biggrin:

1 minute ago, jennybenny said:

The recipe isn't in the book? I haven’t checked but seems like something they’d include in there 

The risotto was very good, but the lobster risotto they made for our cc lunch on the coral last September I thought was just a bit better. IMHO

Just looked in the index, and did not find either listed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2018 at 12:02 AM, Mulgagirl said:

..Posting acting strange, anyway. We did the table 2010 and 2011, the "book" we got has copyright date 2009. Guessing actual menus change more often than editing and printing new books.

Edited by jlp20
?

My wife and I participated in the Chef's table once on the Crown Princess a few years ago.  At the time we had no boarding priority.  When we boarded I called the Dine Line and not only was able to submit our names for consideration for the Chef's Table but, also, made two specialty restaurant reservations at the same time.  No problema.

The time we were selected we did have to actually sign a release document that neither of us had any food allergies.  Different ships and different chefs seem to have a different policy regarding the accommodation of allergies at the Chef's Table.

Is it worth it?  This is the same answer I give anybody who asks the "Is < fill in the blank> worth it," question.  If you have never done it, of course it is worth it.  After you have done it, you'll be able to answer the question yourself.  That new knowledge, alone, is worth it.

As an aside, my wife and I just completed a 7-day cruise on the Ruby Princess.  On the last page of the Embarkation Day issue of the Princess Patter, there was a little advertisement for the Chef's Table with the instruction to call the Dine Line

4 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

As an aside, my wife and I just completed a 7-day cruise on the Ruby Princess.  On the last page of the Embarkation Day issue of the Princess Patter, there was a little advertisement for the Chef's Table with the instruction to call the Dine Line

So many people don't really look at the Patter the first day then ask later "when did they have the signups for that!"

On the first day there are usually signups for escape room, egg drop, scrap heap challenge, and many more one time only events along with instructions for things like the Chef's Table you mentioned and many other fine dining opportunities. 

4 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

So many people don't really look at the Patter the first day then ask later "when did they have the signups for that!"

On the first day there are usually signups for escape room, egg drop, scrap heap challenge, and many more one time only events along with instructions for things like the Chef's Table you mentioned and many other fine dining opportunities. 

Thx for advice.  Question, as all rooms aren't ready when boarding is the Patter posted or available elsewhere?

7 minutes ago, Bubbs33 said:

Thx for advice.  Question, as all rooms aren't ready when boarding is the Patter posted or available elsewhere?

I think every bar has one posted you can look at and you can go to the pursers office and get one. Usually they are set out on the counter for you to grab without standing in line.

• Thanks 1

Hi ok so this I’m sure will sound silly to those who cruise all the time but is the dine line an actual # or a button on the phone ?  I haven’t been on a cruise in over 10 yrs going to Alaska next May on the golden and really hopping to get the chef table. So reading up on best way to get on this coveted list as soon as I possibly can. 

3 hours ago, VacTimeAllways said:

Hi ok so this I’m sure will sound silly to those who cruise all the time but is the dine line an actual # or a button on the phone ? 

Both. 

I've attended three chef's tables. All three had the same main course: the medieval rack with trio of tenderloins. It's the weakest part of the menu for me, a letdown after the innovative dishes we were served previously. My favorite part is having hors d'oeuvres in the galley.

The last time I attended, I did not find out we made the cut until five or six days into the cruise (11-night partial Panama Canal). Unfortunately, DH got a sinus infection and canceled going. I went without him. I knew four of the other people at the table from events previously on the cruise. We also had rough seas--so rough that we did not get to see the galley in action that night. They served us the hors d'oeuvres at the table instead. The maître d' knocked the price down to make up for it. The food and beverage manager gave us a personalized tour of the galley later in the cruise. He also took us down to the stores. I enjoyed that experience a lot.

After the increase in price, we haven't done the chef's table. I'll let someone else have the experience. Our favorite way to have a celebratory dinner on ships now is the Ultimate Balcony Dinner.

Edited by geoherb

18 hours ago, jennybenny said:

The recipe isn't in the book? I haven’t checked but seems like something they’d include in there 

18 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

The risotto was very good, but the lobster risotto they made for our cc lunch on the coral last September I thought was just a bit better. IMHO

Just looked in the index, and did not find either listed.

18 hours ago, jennybenny said:

I did check and it wasn't there.  😞  I have found a recipe for it online and it looks the same but just haven't had a chance to try it.    

7 hours ago, VacTimeAllways said:

Hi ok so this I’m sure will sound silly to those who cruise all the time but is the dine line an actual # or a button on the phone ?  I haven’t been on a cruise in over 10 yrs going to Alaska next May on the golden and really hopping to get the chef table. So reading up on best way to get on this coveted list as soon as I possibly can. 

There is a button on the phone. 

13 hours ago, VacTimeAllways said:

If you try the phone and it rings to eternity. Don't waste your time with the phone just head to the PSD or grab a head waiter in the dining room.

1 hour ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Can someone validate what the charge is these days for Chefs Table?  I have seen someone say around $110 but just curious if this is correct.  Thanks!

We paid $100 in October on the Coral. I think the charge without wine was $85

On 12/4/2018 at 1:15 PM, runnerswife said:

How difficult is it to get a reservation for the chef's table?  Is it worth the price, which I believe

is somewhere around $110? We are on the Regal in April.

I realize that is a difficult question as everyone has their opinion,

but would like to hear what the experience is like.  Thanks for any advice,  Mary

As soon as you get on the ship, call the Dine line and request the Chef's Table. The longer the cruise, the more often they have them.  On our 25 day Crown sailing this past October, they had at least 3 of them.  
There's no guarantee you will be chosen but we never had a problem getting chosen.
It was $95/pp on our last sailing and yes, worth it to us.  You get to enjoy dishes that are not usually offered and they have all been excellent.  It includes wine/champagne! 

• 1 month later...

I’m trying something different for the Chefs dinner. I have a list of 11 people & when I board the ship I plan to give my list to the  maître d’ to see if they will arrange one for our group. I’m on a 19 day cruise so it will be perfect if they will do one for us. 

Tom😎