Will Norwegian up its Haven game?

bbnjcruiser

Other lines offering unlimited specialty restaurants, free bottled water, extraordinary menus for first class dining, Better exclusive enclave experiences.

Amenities for first class guests are getting better and better on other ships. NCL keeps raising prices and shrinking amenities.

here they are pulling all the premium items off all menus recently:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/gallery/image/1488-2018-specialty-dining-cagneys-steakhouse/

How will Norwegian respond?

Edited by bbnjcruiser

I don't think much as they probably are better off now catching who they can with high Haven prices and then getting more money from bidding process.  If the new MSRP of a Haven is now higher under bid process people "feel" they are getting a deal with a bid compared to the high MSRP.

Then they get the succession of bids behind the Haven winner.

I like the Haven Horizon lounge on the new ships.  This is the first expansion of the Haven in many years.  After Epic, NCL made a mistake (IMHO) by shrinking the Haven areas.  The new lounge really opens up the Haven to have that uncrowded feel the customers expect.   The views from the lounge are incredible.  On BA, GA, and Escape, there are no ocean views from the Haven lounge.  Big mistake IMHO.    Nothing is more luxury than being on a big, modern ship with a drink sipping in an uncrowded lounge with amazing ocean views.  In the future, it would be an upgrade for NCL to have a Haven pool with ocean views like some other lines.

Edited by david_sobe

10 hours ago, bbnjcruiser said:

Other lines offering unlimited specialty restaurants, free bottled water, extraordinary menus for first class dining, Better exclusive enclave experiences.

Amenities for first class guests are getting better and better on other ships. NCL keeps raising prices and shrinking amenities.

here they are pulling all the premium items off all menus recently:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/gallery/image/1488-2018-specialty-dining-cagneys-steakhouse/

How will Norwegian respond?

What ships and lines are you referring to specifically?

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

In the future, it would be an upgrade for NCL to have a Haven pool with ocean views like some other lines.

Looking at Leonardo, it's believed that the Haven pool will be aft-facing but where that pool(s?) will be is unknown.

One rendering has a pool on the top deck while the other renderings don't have one there. The pool could also be down low like MSC Seaside has one.

This is all based on the idea that the Haven will be aft. Nothing has been announced AFAIK.

If the Haven is forward like Seaside's Yacht Club is forward, the pool would have ocean views to the sides but not forward.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

I'd rather sail Oceania..or a comparable all inclusive line if I thought I needed more than the "regular" NCL Balcony etc could offer.  I wouldn't pay extra for the Haven on NCL.  Just like I wouldn't go to Chili's etc. and pay extra to sit in a fancy area and have better waiters.   

But obviously, some will.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

51 minutes ago, Trimone said:

That looks quality 

Wonder what the prices are?

Prices for staterooms with access to the Retreat vary wildly

Using a family of 4, a stateroom "outside" of the Retreat (similar to suites outside of the Haven) with Retreat access can be done for less than a suite for 4 on NCL. It's difficult to exactly compare because that EDGE "outside" will be a smaller suite than a NCL "outside" for 4. Using Celebrity EDGE vs NCL Encore, the difference on the same week is about $4K for the H7 or $5K for the H6 with NCL being more expensive but with a larger stateroom (living-room/bedroom plus larger balcony with the H6)

However, a "top of the line" suite in the Retreat will be more than a "top of the line" DOS or Garden Villa on NCL. Again, EDGE ($43K) vs Encore DOS ($28K) with the EDGE having the much larger stateroom, larger balcony, and hot-tub on the balcony. 

These prices are higher than normal because of the timing/Spring Break and can be done for less. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

21 hours ago, bbnjcruiser said:

check out Celebrity’s offering over here:

https://secure.viewer.zmags.com/publication/3c2d5926#/3c2d5926/19

We have sailed Celebrity's suites and felt NCL's Haven product was far better in everything except one respect: food. Celebrity's food in general, and their suite dining room in particular, are far superior to the Haven restaurant. Among other things, the menu varies every day, something NCL has needed to start doing for years.

But beyond that, we'd take the Haven experience over Celebrity.

Now if you want luxury and all inclusive, then you need to move on to NCL's other brand: Regent. 

4 minutes ago, VideoTech said:

We have sailed Celebrity's suites and felt NCL's Haven product was far better in everything except one respect: food. Celebrity's food in general, and their suite dining room in particular, are far superior to the Haven restaurant.

Celebrity's Retreat (only on EDGE but coming to other ships) might change that.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:41 AM, dexddd said:

I don't think much as they probably are better off now catching who they can with high Haven prices and then getting more money from bidding process.  If the new MSRP of a Haven is now higher under bid process people "feel" they are getting a deal with a bid compared to the high MSRP. Then they get the succession of bids behind the Haven winner.

So,,,, you do realize that NCL has always filled their Suites on every cruise. And that the bidding process just automates the manual call in process from a couple of years ago. The call in process to negotiate an upgrade could not keep up with the demand as NCL launched a new megaship every year. So,,,, nothing really new here

When choosing a cruise at Haven prices, there is much better quality and value out there, Cunard for example, unfortunately NCL have created a ship within a ship, where people may feel undervalued by staff just because they are not in The Haven.

I have only done The Haven with an upgrade, and to be totally honest it was only like cruising yesteryear, it just shows how low, cheap and nasty normal cruising has become.

I don't mind the same menu everyday on our week cruise.  The food is good and we only eat dinner at the Haven restaurant maybe once or twice a cruise.  I also have my favorites that I look forward to when planning a cruise.  If they keep the "classics" and add some rotating dishes that would be good. 

What I do have an issue with ( and it has been said OVER and OVER again on CC ) is the marketing inconsistency of the Haven product.  With that I mean children.  The kid factor may attract some Haven fans over to the Celebrity Retreat.  When you advertise something as a peaceful and quiet enclave and then at 2:00 the pool courtyard is like a daycare you have an issue.  We were on the Getaway on the Nov. 25th sailing.  We missed the holiday family rush but there were a fair amount of small / non-school age children.  Even with the upper sundeck being 16 and older you still can hear the screeching and screaming of kids in the courtyard.  Thankfully we like to get our sun in the morning hours and didn't have any children as our neighbors.  On our Epic Haven cruise we had to complain to the concierge because the child next door was screaming so loud we feared there was an emergency.  The parents stated "Oh he's always like that when he has had a long day, but he should fall asleep soon".  That's not what we paid for. 

With that being said the Haven is still in demand and the suites are always filled.  We have one more Haven cruise with a deposit on it and I can't wait to have my almond croissants for breakfast.  However, I think after that we may go to MSC or try the Retreat on one of the refurbished ships.  Change is always good and maybe some competition will prod NCL to make some positive changes. 

• Thanks 1

You guys made me curious.  I did a mock booking on Edge around the same time as my Encore cruise. I have a 2 bedroom Haven suite booked for what I could only get a Celebrity suite booked on Edge.  Approximately 10k.  The rooms don't compare.  Encore has another bedroom while Edge is only one bedroom.  Also, with the free at sea promo, we got 2 more sailing with us.  The retreat looks better than the Haven pool area no doubt.  But with my sailing, NCL has the better value.  I know things change.  The prices are similar but my particular booking NCL has the better suite at around the same price.  NCL Encore Haven 2 bedroom suite $4889 per person (2 more sail free).  Edge 1 bedroom Celebrity suite $5299 per person.

Edited by david_sobe

7 hours ago, Trimone said:

When choosing a cruise at Haven prices, there is much better quality and value out there, Cunard for example, unfortunately NCL have created a ship within a ship, where people may feel undervalued by staff just because they are not in The Haven.

I have only done The Haven with an upgrade, and to be totally honest it was only like cruising yesteryear, it just shows how low, cheap and nasty normal cruising has become.

Totally agree.

7 hours ago, trician24 said:

I don't mind the same menu everyday on our week cruise.  The food is good and we only eat dinner at the Haven restaurant maybe once or twice a cruise.  I also have my favorites that I look forward to when planning a cruise.  If they keep the "classics" and add some rotating dishes that would be good. 

What I do have an issue with ( and it has been said OVER and OVER again on CC ) is the marketing inconsistency of the Haven product.  With that I mean children.  The kid factor may attract some Haven fans over to the Celebrity Retreat.  When you advertise something as a peaceful and quiet enclave and then at 2:00 the pool courtyard is like a daycare you have an issue.  We were on the Getaway on the Nov. 25th sailing.  We missed the holiday family rush but there were a fair amount of small / non-school age children.  Even with the upper sundeck being 16 and older you still can hear the screeching and screaming of kids in the courtyard.  Thankfully we like to get our sun in the morning hours and didn't have any children as our neighbors.  On our Epic Haven cruise we had to complain to the concierge because the child next door was screaming so loud we feared there was an emergency.  The parents stated "Oh he's always like that when he has had a long day, but he should fall asleep soon".  That's not what we paid for. 

With that being said the Haven is still in demand and the suites are always filled.  We have one more Haven cruise with a deposit on it and I can't wait to have my almond croissants for breakfast.  However, I think after that we may go to MSC or try the Retreat on one of the refurbished ships.  Change is always good and maybe some competition will prod NCL to make some positive changes. 

I also feel the haven isn’t exactly what it was marketed as. 

1 hour ago, bbnjcruiser said:

I also feel the haven isn’t exactly what it was marketed as. 

Until they stop allowing children in diapers in the Haven pool and hot tubs I will not be booking the Haven again.  I’ve stayed in it 5 times and I do not understand why one stateroom with babies needs come before all the other staterooms.  No matter who I reported it to it went on and on.  

20 hours ago, trician24 said:

I generally have no problems with kids.  I can say Haven pool and splash area closed on our June trip due to a little one having bio problem in pool the last 24 hours.  Also kids doing normal kids' things made it very loud in there.

Current MSC allow kids in YC so not a sure thing there.  We had Octomom on our last YC trip which allowed diapered kids in pool, running everywhere, etc.