Pre-Inaugural Edge Review with Photos and Menus

MVPinBoynton

I have just posted my review of our 2-day pre-inaugural cruise on the amazing Celebrity Edge.  It was a very hectic couple of days trying to get photos of everything.  I took 2,600 photos in the 1.5 days we were actually on the ship and used about 700 of them in the review.  I was able to get almost all of the restaurant and bar menus; but will get everything in January when we are on the Edge for a full week.  By then some of the menus might even change.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the ship.  It is a game changer for Celebrity in my opinion.  The ship will attract new cruisers; which is their goal.  Some Celebrity loyalists might find some things they don't like; but I think the majority will be very pleased with this gorgeous ship.  To check out my review, go to our website that is linked to in my signature.  I hope the review helps readers to learn about the ship and the many exciting new things there are to experience. 

NOTE: I previously posted the above on the Edge board, but had intended to post it on this main Celebrity board, where more potential Edge cruisers would see it.  If you don't have signatures enabled, you won't see the link to our site.  You can also Google "Mike and Carol cruise reviews" to find the URL to our site.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your amazing (as always) review! You really make me want to try the Edge!

I am a little confused about your comment about ice cream- it is usually complimentary in the buffet, while the gelato near Cafe Al Bacio carries an extra charge. Where was your photo taken? 

Cheers,

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

Hi Ed,

You need to try out this ship.  It is really nice, plus I heard they make great waffles. :classic_biggrin:

Mike,

Jacquie and I are booked on the Edge transatlantic in April.  So, we will have quite a few days to try out quite a few things, including waffles. 😁

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, digital_curator said:

Thank you so much for your amazing (as always) review! You really make me want to try the Edge!

I am a little confused about your comment about ice cream- it is usually complimentary in the buffet, while the gelato near Cafe Al Bacio carries an extra charge. Where was your photo taken? 

Cheers,

It was in the buffet.  Since they appear to have eliminated the hard ice cream in Al Bacio, I am not sure that they didn't move it to the buffet and are now charging for it.  I think that I will reword that in the review.  Thanks for asking.

23 minutes ago, citruscruiser said:

If it helps Mike, I am still on. The ice cream and soft serve still free. They have two flavors of Gelato in the same case and those have $4 and $6 fee. Captain Club can still get one free scoop

Thanks so much for that clarification.  I kind of thought that someone had mentioned there being a charge; but I wasn't sure.  Now I am.  I will correct the review.

Just finished reading your review.  Wow looks amazing...thanks for providing so much detail and great pics!

From what I can tell the oceanview cabins are similar to the IVs except that the window in oceanview doesn't open - is that correct?

We have not yet booked Edge but do have 3 upcoming cruises so booking Edge onboard is in the cards, and your review has certainly whetted my appetite 🙂 .  We always book a veranda, but in looking at your pics we may be happy with an oceanview.

3 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

Just finished reading your review.  Wow looks amazing...thanks for providing so much detail and great pics!

From what I can tell the oceanview cabins are similar to the IVs except that the window in oceanview doesn't open - is that correct?

We have not yet booked Edge but do have 3 upcoming cruises so booking Edge onboard is in the cards, and your review has certainly whetted my appetite 🙂 .  We always book a veranda, but in looking at your pics we may be happy with an oceanview.

The Panoramic Oceanview did seem very much like the IV to me and I would happily book it.  Since they didn't have non-Panoramic oceanviews available to walk through, I don't know if they are as nice.

49 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

Thanks so much for that clarification.  I kind of thought that someone had mentioned there being a charge; but I wasn't sure.  Now I am.  I will correct the review.

Thanks to you both- I'm glad to know that the free ice cream is still there (I have never figured out why they keep the gelato on the other ships- the only people I see getting it are those who get a free scoop!)

Edge is so expensive, it would be a shame to have to pay for ice cream too! :classic_biggrin:

5 minutes ago, digital_curator said:

Thanks to you both- I'm glad to know that the free ice cream is still there (I have never figured out why they keep the gelato on the other ships- the only people I see getting it are those who get a free scoop!)

Edge is so expensive, it would be a shame to have to pay for ice cream too! :classic_biggrin:

I am sure that is why they moved the gelato out of Al Bacio and to the buffet.  

Thank you for the review, it is amazing!  I don't know how you got all that done in 2 days!  We embarking on the Edge Jan 20th as you're disembarking and will have to read your review when we return. This will be our first Celebrity cruise. 

PS: We are Royal/NCL cruisers.  Will be going to Alaska in July with Ovation of the Seas visiting the same ports that you did in your Alaska trip.  That review was also very helpful for the plans I am working on. Thank you. :classic_rolleyes:

59 minutes ago, nednrom said:

Thank you for the review, it is amazing!  I don't know how you got all that done in 2 days!  We embarking on the Edge Jan 20th as you're disembarking and will have to read your review when we return. This will be our first Celebrity cruise. 

PS: We are Royal/NCL cruisers.  Will be going to Alaska in July with Ovation of the Seas visiting the same ports that you did in your Alaska trip.  That review was also very helpful for the plans I am working on. Thank you. :classic_rolleyes:

I don't know how I got it done either. :classic_biggrin:  I think you will enjoy Celebrity, especially the Edge.  I'm not sure which Alaska review you are referring to, we have done 3 of them.  The one in 2007 had the best excursions, so you might want to check it out for possible options.  I hope that you are able to do a land tour also, like we did in 2014.  It allows you experience the true beauty of Alaska.